Tips for Better Blogging: Photography

Photography has been one of my favorite hobbies ever since I was old enough to have a real camera. It started out with the cheapie camera that I begged my parents for, then I moved on to the point and shoot camera (ok, so maybe a few of those….I was clumsy!), and finally for my college graduation I got the Canon t3i, D-SLR camera. My family is filled with people who have a great eye for photography and a real passion for capturing precious moments. I certainly take after them in that aspect! You will always find me with a camera in hand.
So naturally, one thing that instantly draws my attention to a blog is photography. If a blog has great photos in addition to their content, I am about 99.9% going back to read it (and view the beautiful photos!) Being able to visualize and see into people’s life in the form of photos makes a blog so much more appealing, in my opinion.
Now I am by no means an expert photographer or anything of the sort, but these small tips can go a long way (and they have certainly helped me over time!)
Learn the basics of your camera. Whether you have a point-and-shoot camera or a D-SLR learn the basics of it. It is so helpful to read the manual that comes with your camera. What I have found that also works well for me is to google or youtube anything I have questions about- whether it’s aperture, ISO, etc. Seeing step by step instructions really helps to understand something as intimidating as the buttons on your camera.
Take a lot of photos. My grandfather, who has mastered pretty much every camera from the box camera to today’s most up-to-date D-SLR,  has always told me “it is better to take too many shots than not enough.” I have taken his advice to heart. Anytime I am out taking photos I take a lot. Even if it is just of a flower I will work with the manual setting, try different angles, and work with different shutter speeds. It always amazes me as I am filtering through them later just how different each and every photo looks, even though the subject is the same. It’s a great way to get different perspective! And of course, by taking more photos you are allowing yourself a better chance at one you really love.
Invest in a Tripod/Remote. Having a tripod is extremely beneficial. There are some shots I wouldn’t have ever been able to get without my tripod. Having a tripod allows for straight photos without any movement. (I am so guilty of having shaky hands while taking photographs!) Having a remote is also very beneficial (and pretty cheap too!) While self timed photos aren’t necessarily bad, it is much easier to have the remote to get the optimal quality photo and still allowing yourself to be in the photo. These are two items I deemed “essentials” right after getting my camera. Each has gotten their fair share of use and they’ve made for my clear, timed, and straight photos!
Practice, Practice, Practice. I think practicing is the best way to learn how to use your camera. Any chance I get I am taking photos in different lighting and different settings. I also play around with the features my camera has. Because really, what is the use of having a nice D-SLR if you don’t know how to use it! Practice still shots, action shots, and any other type of photos that you would ultimately like to have on your blog. Each photo is an opportunity for you to improve!
Here are just a few of the photos I have taken and experimented with over time.
Next week I’ll be back discussing photo editing software!

1. Tori G wrote:

Great tips girl! Thank you, I def needed them!

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  2. Hanna Lei wrote:

I really like the tip about getting a remote, I think I'll have to very soon. Hanna

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  3. These are really great tips… You have such a great eye for photography! I have a Nikon DSLR (can't remember the #) but I still don't have the photography down– I try and try but just don't think I have the creative "eye" for photography… I always end up snapping photos with my iPhone (bad, I know!) because I hate lugging my Nikon around!

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  4. Grace wrote:

I couldn't agree more. The three things that captivate me most about blogs are the great quality photos, their write-ups, and the creativity based upon their outfits. I always have a camera in hand as well. People that know me always ask "is that going on your blog too?" whenever I snap a photo. Haha!

xo

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  5. Rachel wrote:

Great tips! A tripod and remote has saved my life in terms of taking blogging photos!

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  6. Morgan S. wrote:

Great tips – just got a DSLR a few months back and always playing with the manual settings! It has helped!
    -Morgan of Style Oyster

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  7. I need to learn how to use my camera! Any tips are helpful right now! thanks!!

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  8. Alyssa wrote:

These are great tips! I agree–photography is such an important aspect of a blog. I'd say second to only writing!

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  9. What lens do you have and think are the most important? I have a fixed 50 prime, the kit lens and 50-250. Thanks!

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  10. Nicole wrote:

So fun that you are talking about this! Photography is such a huge love of mine!

Posted 4.25.13 Reply

• Weekend plan: find Bernadette! 🕶💁🏼‍♀️🌍🎬so beyond thrilled that Where’d You Go Bernadette is officially in theaters TODAY! 🎉 last month I jetted off to Toronto thanks to @bernadettefilm for a once in a lifetime experience. We got to go to an advanced screening of #WheredYouGoBernadette followed by a Q&A with #RichardLinklater and the cast of the movie. It was truly fascinating hearing them talk about @mariasemple’s book to movie adaption, how they related to #Bernadette & all the filming details! I think I’m still reeling from being in the same room as these talented people! And yes, I totally fan girled over meeting & chatting with @sleepinthegardn (PLL FAN 4 LYFE!) 😂

If you loved the book, be sure to see the movie! And if you haven’t read the book yet, definitely add it to your shelf! 📚 #enwreads They did an incredible job adapting this book and maintaining the essence of Bernadette’s witty, exotic character! I think you’ll find yourself relating to Bernadette in *some* way throughout the movie! I loved it - I laughed, I teared up & it’s full of heartwarming moments! Huge thanks to @bernadettefilm for the wonderful weekend in #Toronto! 💙[ad] #cateblanchette #bernadettefilm #troianbellisario
  • We’re one day away from the weekend! 🎉🙌🏻 this late summer look is on the blog today & I’m chatting about how to transition both pieces into fall! 💙 to shop this look you can head to lifewithemilyblog.com or follow me in the @liketoknow.it app, just search emilynwilkinson http://liketk.it/2EbrB #liketkit #LTKunder100 #LTKstyletip #madewell #madewellnc
  • Looking for a great book to add to your reading list?! 📚 Don't worry, I've got ya covered with a new book called #AmericanRoyals! 👸🏻@katharinemcgee’s latest book is one that will suck you right in with a new royal family... and they're located in the USA! 🇺🇸You'll be enthralled with the royals, the scandals, and their family drama! This book publishes on September 3rd, but you can pre-order it now (link in my stories!) and if you submit your receipt you'll get a free tote with your pre-order purchase!  @getunderlined #getunderlined [ad]
US Residents 13+. Ends 9/2/19. See terms at bit.ly/2OqHxz0
  • Happy Monday, friends! 💓 Let’s start the week out right and spread a little kindness, starting with teachers! 👩🏼‍🏫 It’s August which means it’s back-to-school season, so I’ve teamed up with some other influencers to help #clearthelists for teachers and I hope you’ll join me! 📕✏️🖍📌📎📖💌 Please tag any teachers that are underfunded & desperately in need of supplies below. I have a teacher that I’m featuring on my IG Stories & you can see more lists on  @natsnextadventure @ashleyspivey @brooklynblonde1 @lipglossandcrayons
@katiemcrenshaw @lombardandfifth @girlgonechildinnyc @audreymcclellan @dreamingofhomemaking @the_rusticpallet @twindollicious @mellycoy @graceinthecrumbs @sarajanemercer and @mamacoaster. We all love and appreciate our teachers, let’s show them how much! 🍎#BloggersforBetter
  • It’s the weekend! 🎉🙌🏻💙 planning on having a low key weekend & catching up on reading after a crazy week! These were a few of my favorite reads from July! I HIGHLY recommend #MrsEverything & #CityofGirls 📚(all my book reviews are on the blog - link in bio!) http://liketk.it/2DSVd #enwreads
  • To be completely honest, today has been a shit show 🤦🏼‍♀️ My morning started off at 3:15 with a sick pup & continued snow balling until about 5:00 this evening. Some days just get the best of ya & today our animals got the best of me and Nick🤣 luckily they’re both ok 🐶🐱 but man, today was rough and stressful! The highlight of my day was meeting @_happygocurly_ for coffee while she was in town this AM! ☕️ We have never met, but had been friends online for years!  It was like grabbing coffee with an old friend! 👯‍♀️ chin up friends, the weekend is *almost* here!
Shop my outfit by clicking the link in my bio or by following @emilynwilkinson in the @liketoknow.it app http://liketk.it/2DREY #liketkit #LTKunder100 #LTKunder50