Tips for Better Blogging: Photography

Photography has been one of my favorite hobbies ever since I was old enough to have a real camera. It started out with the cheapie camera that I begged my parents for, then I moved on to the point and shoot camera (ok, so maybe a few of those….I was clumsy!), and finally for my college graduation I got the Canon t3i, D-SLR camera. My family is filled with people who have a great eye for photography and a real passion for capturing precious moments. I certainly take after them in that aspect! You will always find me with a camera in hand.
So naturally, one thing that instantly draws my attention to a blog is photography. If a blog has great photos in addition to their content, I am about 99.9% going back to read it (and view the beautiful photos!) Being able to visualize and see into people’s life in the form of photos makes a blog so much more appealing, in my opinion.
Now I am by no means an expert photographer or anything of the sort, but these small tips can go a long way (and they have certainly helped me over time!)
Learn the basics of your camera. Whether you have a point-and-shoot camera or a D-SLR learn the basics of it. It is so helpful to read the manual that comes with your camera. What I have found that also works well for me is to google or youtube anything I have questions about- whether it’s aperture, ISO, etc. Seeing step by step instructions really helps to understand something as intimidating as the buttons on your camera.
Take a lot of photos. My grandfather, who has mastered pretty much every camera from the box camera to today’s most up-to-date D-SLR,  has always told me “it is better to take too many shots than not enough.” I have taken his advice to heart. Anytime I am out taking photos I take a lot. Even if it is just of a flower I will work with the manual setting, try different angles, and work with different shutter speeds. It always amazes me as I am filtering through them later just how different each and every photo looks, even though the subject is the same. It’s a great way to get different perspective! And of course, by taking more photos you are allowing yourself a better chance at one you really love.
Invest in a Tripod/Remote. Having a tripod is extremely beneficial. There are some shots I wouldn’t have ever been able to get without my tripod. Having a tripod allows for straight photos without any movement. (I am so guilty of having shaky hands while taking photographs!) Having a remote is also very beneficial (and pretty cheap too!) While self timed photos aren’t necessarily bad, it is much easier to have the remote to get the optimal quality photo and still allowing yourself to be in the photo. These are two items I deemed “essentials” right after getting my camera. Each has gotten their fair share of use and they’ve made for my clear, timed, and straight photos!
Practice, Practice, Practice. I think practicing is the best way to learn how to use your camera. Any chance I get I am taking photos in different lighting and different settings. I also play around with the features my camera has. Because really, what is the use of having a nice D-SLR if you don’t know how to use it! Practice still shots, action shots, and any other type of photos that you would ultimately like to have on your blog. Each photo is an opportunity for you to improve!
Here are just a few of the photos I have taken and experimented with over time.
Next week I’ll be back discussing photo editing software!

1. Tori G wrote:

Great tips girl! Thank you, I def needed them!

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  2. Hanna Lei wrote:

I really like the tip about getting a remote, I think I'll have to very soon. Hanna

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  3. These are really great tips… You have such a great eye for photography! I have a Nikon DSLR (can't remember the #) but I still don't have the photography down– I try and try but just don't think I have the creative "eye" for photography… I always end up snapping photos with my iPhone (bad, I know!) because I hate lugging my Nikon around!

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  4. Grace wrote:

I couldn't agree more. The three things that captivate me most about blogs are the great quality photos, their write-ups, and the creativity based upon their outfits. I always have a camera in hand as well. People that know me always ask "is that going on your blog too?" whenever I snap a photo. Haha!

xo

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  5. Rachel wrote:

Great tips! A tripod and remote has saved my life in terms of taking blogging photos!

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  6. Morgan S. wrote:

Great tips – just got a DSLR a few months back and always playing with the manual settings! It has helped!
    -Morgan of Style Oyster

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  7. I need to learn how to use my camera! Any tips are helpful right now! thanks!!

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  8. Alyssa wrote:

These are great tips! I agree–photography is such an important aspect of a blog. I'd say second to only writing!

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  9. What lens do you have and think are the most important? I have a fixed 50 prime, the kit lens and 50-250. Thanks!

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  10. Nicole wrote:

So fun that you are talking about this! Photography is such a huge love of mine!

Posted 4.25.13 Reply

• Happy 31st birthday to my favorite person in the entire world! 🎉🎂🥰 I feel so lucky to have you as my husband & soulmate! Thank you for being you, allowing me to be me & for always making life fun and entertaining!! I am SO excited for this next year (and all the years to come!) and can’t wait to see what this year brings you! Cheers to many more, my love! Love you most 🍾😘 #happybirthday #marriage #enwexplores
  • What’s your go-to TV show to binge?! 📺 I am always a fan of Friends - but some of my favs include Veep, A Million Little Things & Parenthood to name a few! I’m teaming up with @scottiestissues to share all my favorite binge-worthy TV shows whether you need a good cry or you want to laugh til you cry, they’ll have ya covered! #scottiesstyle #scottiescomfort #myscottiesstyle [sponsored]
  • If only every day looked something like this! Unfortunately that wasn’t the case for my Monday!🌴🍹🌊 instead it was spent catching up on emails and work all day! Still dreaming of the beautiful weather on #perfectdayatcococay 🙌🏻 can we go back already, @royalcaribbean?! 🛳 #enwexplores #navigatoroftheseas
This swimsuit coverup is $20 and comes in 8 colors! Shop this look at the link in my bio or with the free @liketoknow.it app (just search emilynwilkinson)
  • One of my favorite parts about vacation is being able to relax with a good book in hand 📚🙌🏻 The #navigatoroftheseas has so many peaceful areas to relax, unwind & read a few pages - file that under a success! Admittedly, I didn’t read as much as I would have liked (because there was SO much to see & do!) but I’m glad that I got to read @marykayandrews newest book!
Shop this look at the link in my bio or with the free @liketoknow.it app! http://liketk.it/2BVxC #liketkit #LTKtravel #LTKswim #LTKunder100 #LTKunder50 #enwexplores @royalcaribbean #marykayandrews #stmartinspress
  • Sitting here wishing that a) I was still on #NavigatoroftheSeas 🛳 b) that my laundry would do itself and c) that I could wear this lil cute matching set daily! 😊 Spending the day catching up on life & cuddling with Mr. Charlie! 🐱#enwexplores
Shop this look at the link in my bio or with the free @liketoknow.it app! http://liketk.it/2BU05 #liketkit #LTKunder100 #LTKtravel
  • Ready to seas the day on #navigatoroftheseas 🌊🍹I don’t think that will be a problem being pool side with a drink in hand 🙌🏻 this @royalcaribbean ship has so many cute & colorful seating areas where you can relax but still be part of all the action! 🍾👏🏻
This cute little swim coverup is only $20 and so adorable! I got SO many compliments on it! And I’m never not wearing my tried & true wide brim hat! Shop details at link in bio or with @liketoknow.it app http://liketk.it/2BStC @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKtravel #LTKswim #LTKunder100 #LTKunder50