How I Decided to Become a Pure Barre Instructor

In last week’s reader survey, I had an overwhelming amount of responses from all of you, for which I am so thankful! From that survey I found that a lot of you really wanted to read more Pure Barre related content. I am so happy to that so many of you are Pure Barre addicts, like myself, and that a lot of you are curious about trying Pure Barre… it makes me so excited. So, today I wanted to share with you my journey on becoming a Pure Barre instructor.becoming a pure barre instructor

Rewinding a bit, I first began Pure Barre a little over a year ago. I was obsessed from the moment I stepped out of my first 55-minute class. Overwhelmed? Yes. But hooked none the less. You can read about my original Pure Barre experience hereI woke up excited to lift.tone.burn. in the studio and was totally bummed anytime I didn’t make it off of the waitlist due to a full class. Every single class I felt challenged (in a good way!), eager to continue to learn the technique, and proud of how much better I felt after class.

What initially drew me in to the workout was the small class atmosphere. Before I began Pure Barre I worked out at a large gym that was packed 24/7. Often times I felt uncomfortable surrounded by muscular men, wasn’t sure if I was working a machine correctly, and didn’t feel like my body was changing very much. After a week’s worth of Pure Barre classes, I could tell a difference in parts of my body. That’s what kept me coming back daily. I also loved the friendships and people I met through the classes. I also loved how instructors would come around throughout class and provide hands-on corrections and words of encouragement. I left each class feeling confident and really excited to keep going back.

purebarre4
Fast forward to earlier this summer, I found out that a girl who I met through Pure Barre decided to open her own studio close by. An idea immediately popped into my head about becoming an instructor. I decided to let the idea settle and to think on it for a bit. After thinking about it for a week, I finally met up with Melody, the studio owner, and we chatted about the opportunity. I really liked the idea of working in a brand new studio and going through the whole process together as a team. That was something that was both important to me and Melody. I met with Melody a few more times to talk specifics (like time commitment, etc.) and then I signed on the dotted line to officially become an instructor!

After a week at Disney, I made the drive with the Pure Barre High Point team to Spartanburg, South Carolina to the Corporate Training Facility. We spent the weekend learning more about the technique, meeting with Master Trainers (#goals), and getting to interact with other studios across the country who were training to become instructors, too! It was a great weekend that made me really appreciate Pure Barre and the instructors. Once training ended I headed back to North Carolina even more excited to become an instructor. I spent countless months practicing and perfecting the technique before our studio opened.purebarre13
After the initial nerves settled, I was so excited to teach my first class! I’ve been teaching for a few weeks now and each day I wake up so excited to head to the studio to instruct class. Do I feel nervous jitters some day? Heck yes! Some days I walk in the studio feeling like I’m taking my first Pure Barre class haha! But it is so rewarding seeing new clients enjoy their first class. It’s a pleasure seeing the same familiar faces day in and day out (especially since I work from home most of the time! I need social interactions, people!!!) And the best part? Hearing clients say that they can see their body changing, can feel themselves getting stronger and more flexible, and that they truly enjoy coming to my class! I absolutely love that.

So, a lot of you have emailed and sent in questions about how to go about becoming an instructor. My situation was a bit different, since it was a brand new studio, but if you are thinking about becoming an instructor I highly suggest reaching out to your local studio owner/manager to see if they’re hiring. They will be able to provide you with details based on your specific studio! You can see studio locations HERE. A lot of you have also asked about the time commitment associated with being an instructor. There is definitely quite a bit of time to be put forth, especially in the beginning as you are working towards your teacher’s certificate. Is it worth it? Totally! I teach 4-7 times a week (each class is 55 minutes) and spend quite a bit of time still practicing since I’m still a new teacher!

So, I realize that was a novel, and I applaud you if you made it through! I wanted to be as thorough as I could be with you all!  If you have any other questions I haven’t covered, please feel free to email me at emily@lifewithemilyblog.com – I am more than happy to chat Pure Barre with you!

Life With Emily Pure Barre

Great post! I love reading your blog!!!

Posted 2.2.16 Reply
    • Emily wrote:

Thanks so much, Stephanie! I appreciate you stopping by! xx

Posted 2.2.16 Reply
      • Maria wrote:

Emily, I just came across your post and blog which is great! I have a question. Do you have any background in the fitness community? I have been doing yoga for a while and I am definitely not the fittest or the best at the class. However, I LOVE coming to the studio so much that I have decided to get my yoga and barre certification. What would you recommend to someone who is starting from the student perspective?

Posted 9.21.16
      • Emily wrote:

Hi Maria, I don’t have any background in teaching fitness prior to Pure Barre. I would recommend chatting with your local studio owner regarding training as each studio is individually owned & does things a bit differently! Training is a bit intense & you are usually required to sign a 1-2 year contract and a NDA! 🙂 Feel free to email me and I can answer more thoroughly! 🙂

Posted 9.21.16
  2. Emily, this is so cool – thanks for sharing. My local Pure Barre is such a great experience, the community is one of the most unique things about Pure Barre for me, I’ve been going for about 4 months.

x. Sabrina // Simply Sabrina

Posted 2.2.16 Reply
  3. Sara Kate wrote:

I love this!! Thank you so much for sharing your whole story! So inspirational.

xo,
    Sara Kate Styling

Posted 2.2.16 Reply
    • Emily wrote:

Thanks Sara Kate! I’m glad you enjoyed it 🙂

Posted 2.2.16 Reply
  4. Lindsey wrote:

Don’t apologize for a novel! Long posts can be way more captivating. 🙂 Loved reading your story!

Posted 2.2.16 Reply
  5. Anonymous wrote:

Liked the post! I LOVE it when you post about Pure Barre!!!

Posted 2.2.16 Reply
    • Emily wrote:

Thanks so much! Be on the lookout for more posts in the future! 🙂

Posted 2.2.16 Reply
  6. Congrats on becoming an instructor! –Hanna Lei

Posted 2.2.16 Reply
  7. I am so excited for you, and I hope you will continue to chronicle your Pure Barre journey! I wish there was a Pure Barre in my area!

XO, SS || Seersucker Sass

Posted 2.2.16 Reply
  8. Kate wrote:

I just bought a month to PB and I’m excited & nervous to try it more! I loved the class the first time I took it. I wish I could afford it all the time 🙂

Posted 2.3.16 Reply
  9. Wendi wrote:

I’ve been wanting to try Pure Barre here in Greenville, I think we have a couple of places, but I am still waiting on my infant to get a little bigger and then I’m going for sure!

Posted 2.3.16 Reply
  10. Rachel wrote:

Congrats on becoming an instructor! I took one class last year and it was pretty rough. I seriously didn’t think I’d survive in the first 10 minutes lol. I’m thinking I need to give it a try again, I just wish there was more of a beginner-level class!

Posted 2.4.16 Reply
  11. Hattie Khammar wrote:

Thank you for this post, Emily! I was trying to look up tips and tricks to being a desirable Pure Barre teacher. I actually have my first interview tomorrow with a studio here in Tampa. I am nervous/excited! I have been doing Pure Barre for 3 years now and it never gets old. I love it!

Posted 4.6.16 Reply
    • Emily wrote:

Hi Hattie, No problem at all! I hope it was a little helpful for you! Best of luck on your interview, I’m sure will do great since you’re basically a PB pro 😉 xo

Posted 4.7.16 Reply
  12. Sarah wrote:

As an former ballerina I want to become an instructor but be able to pay the bills at the same time. You mentioned teaching 4-7 times a week. I assume the pay is good but is it enough to support yourself with just being an instructor or do you have a second job? Thanks and congrats!

Posted 9.12.16 Reply
    • Emily wrote:

Hi Sarah,

I am actually a full-time blogger (where 95% of my income comes from) and am just a Pure Barre instructor on the side! Feel free to email me (emily@lifewithemilyblog.com) and I would be happy to go into more detail with you about the instructor process/etc. XO

Posted 9.12.16 Reply
  13. Melanie wrote:

Emily, I just came across your blog and as a new blogger and lover of Purre Barre, I cannot thank you enough for sharing your story with us!! I’m looking into teaching barre so your story was inspiring and motivating! Thank you 🙂

Posted 11.26.17 Reply
    • Emily wrote:

Aww, thank you for your sweet comment Melanie! Always love finding fellow LTBers! Please feel free to email me with any questions you have about becoming an instructor- happy to answer them! xo

Posted 11.27.17 Reply
  14. Renee Grotheer wrote:

I would like to discuss becoming a Purre Batre Instructor with you. I have owned a Personal Training Facility for seventeen years and recently moved due to life changes. I am 54 and in good health. I have a degree in Exercise Science and absolutely have a passion for wellness and improving the quality of life for my clients. My husband and I live in Saint Johns Florida now. Please advise me as to the path I need to follow on this journey.

Renee’

Posted 12.23.18 Reply
    • Emily wrote:

Hi Renee,

Thanks so much for reaching out! Unfortunately I am not the correct person to talk to about becoming an instructor! My blog post was sharing my own experience with being an instructor at my local studio!

If you’re interested in becoming an instructor, you would need to reach out to an owner of one of your local Pure Barre studios! Each studio is individually owned and each studio has a different process for hiring instructors!

Wishing you the best in your new adventure! xx

Best,
      Emily

Posted 12.23.18 Reply
  15. Emily, thanks so much for posting! I’m a barre instructor but I create my own choreography and playlists. It can be time consuming, but I’m sure learning choreography from someone else is even more time consuming! Do you think you’ll stick with Pure Barre or maybe teach somewhere that has you create all your own choreography and playlists? I’m sure there are a ton of benefits to teaching a format like Pure Barre. Loved reading 🙂

Posted 5.22.19 Reply

• Weekend plan: find Bernadette! 🕶💁🏼‍♀️🌍🎬so beyond thrilled that Where’d You Go Bernadette is officially in theaters TODAY! 🎉 last month I jetted off to Toronto thanks to @bernadettefilm for a once in a lifetime experience. We got to go to an advanced screening of #WheredYouGoBernadette followed by a Q&A with #RichardLinklater and the cast of the movie. It was truly fascinating hearing them talk about @mariasemple’s book to movie adaption, how they related to #Bernadette & all the filming details! I think I’m still reeling from being in the same room as these talented people! And yes, I totally fan girled over meeting & chatting with @sleepinthegardn (PLL FAN 4 LYFE!) 😂

If you loved the book, be sure to see the movie! And if you haven’t read the book yet, definitely add it to your shelf! 📚 #enwreads They did an incredible job adapting this book and maintaining the essence of Bernadette’s witty, exotic character! I think you’ll find yourself relating to Bernadette in *some* way throughout the movie! I loved it - I laughed, I teared up & it’s full of heartwarming moments! Huge thanks to @bernadettefilm for the wonderful weekend in #Toronto! 💙[ad] #cateblanchette #bernadettefilm #troianbellisario
  • We’re one day away from the weekend! 🎉🙌🏻 this late summer look is on the blog today & I’m chatting about how to transition both pieces into fall! 💙 to shop this look you can head to lifewithemilyblog.com or follow me in the @liketoknow.it app, just search emilynwilkinson http://liketk.it/2EbrB #liketkit #LTKunder100 #LTKstyletip #madewell #madewellnc
  • Looking for a great book to add to your reading list?! 📚 Don't worry, I've got ya covered with a new book called #AmericanRoyals! 👸🏻@katharinemcgee’s latest book is one that will suck you right in with a new royal family... and they're located in the USA! 🇺🇸You'll be enthralled with the royals, the scandals, and their family drama! This book publishes on September 3rd, but you can pre-order it now (link in my stories!) and if you submit your receipt you'll get a free tote with your pre-order purchase!  @getunderlined #getunderlined [ad]
US Residents 13+. Ends 9/2/19. See terms at bit.ly/2OqHxz0
  • Happy Monday, friends! 💓 Let’s start the week out right and spread a little kindness, starting with teachers! 👩🏼‍🏫 It’s August which means it’s back-to-school season, so I’ve teamed up with some other influencers to help #clearthelists for teachers and I hope you’ll join me! 📕✏️🖍📌📎📖💌 Please tag any teachers that are underfunded & desperately in need of supplies below. I have a teacher that I’m featuring on my IG Stories & you can see more lists on  @natsnextadventure @ashleyspivey @brooklynblonde1 @lipglossandcrayons
@katiemcrenshaw @lombardandfifth @girlgonechildinnyc @audreymcclellan @dreamingofhomemaking @the_rusticpallet @twindollicious @mellycoy @graceinthecrumbs @sarajanemercer and @mamacoaster. We all love and appreciate our teachers, let’s show them how much! 🍎#BloggersforBetter
  • It’s the weekend! 🎉🙌🏻💙 planning on having a low key weekend & catching up on reading after a crazy week! These were a few of my favorite reads from July! I HIGHLY recommend #MrsEverything & #CityofGirls 📚(all my book reviews are on the blog - link in bio!) http://liketk.it/2DSVd #enwreads
  • To be completely honest, today has been a shit show 🤦🏼‍♀️ My morning started off at 3:15 with a sick pup & continued snow balling until about 5:00 this evening. Some days just get the best of ya & today our animals got the best of me and Nick🤣 luckily they’re both ok 🐶🐱 but man, today was rough and stressful! The highlight of my day was meeting @_happygocurly_ for coffee while she was in town this AM! ☕️ We have never met, but had been friends online for years!  It was like grabbing coffee with an old friend! 👯‍♀️ chin up friends, the weekend is *almost* here!
Shop my outfit by clicking the link in my bio or by following @emilynwilkinson in the @liketoknow.it app http://liketk.it/2DREY #liketkit #LTKunder100 #LTKunder50