Best of Beauty 2016

This past weekend was spent doing work and wedding related things after being away the weekend before for a wedding.  I’m so glad we’re able to get wedding stuff done on the weekends, but that’s like a full-time job in itself so I used yesterday as a day to play catch up and get my life together haha!

Last year I did a Best of Beauty post that had great reaction from y’all so I decided to do it again this year! I know we’re half way through January, but I wanted to make sure I dedicated a lot of time and energy to this post. These are products I use throughout the year and often re-buy because they are that good! So without further adieu, let’s get started on the best beauty buys of 20161

FASH WASH | I began using this face wash last year and it’s remained a favorite throughout 2016. It is a creamy formula that lathers really well. Bonus: it gets ALL makeup off with the first application! I use this in the morning and at night.

MAKE UP REMOVER | If you’re like me and always *almost* forget to wash off your make up then this remover is for you! For years I have used wipes to remove my makeup, only they never fully remove my makeup. The Bye-Bye Makeup Remover is absolutely amazing and removed every trace of makeup on your face. I have extremely sensitive skin and use this on a weekly basis for removing my makeup and have never had a problem! All you do is spread this cream over your face (it’s safe for eyes too) and then use warm water and your makeup literally melts away!

MOISTURIZER | There are two that I use on a regular basis, First Aid Beauty’s Ultra Repair Cream and It Cosmetics Confidence in a Cream. The Ultra Repair Cream is ideal for those who have dry skin. I use this daily in the winter but it’s also great during the summer. The Confidence in a Cream is a wonderful every day moisturizer. Again, it’s great for every skin type, including those who have sensitive skin.

CC CREAM | The It Cosmetics CC Cream is hands down a favorite of mine (and my friends!) It is a lightweight formula that covers unwanted blemishes and spots while being light enough to use when working out! I use this on my “off” days and on weekends to coverage without feeling “done” up!

CONCEALER | This year I tried a few different concealers, but the NARS Concealer was my absolute favorite. It isn’t too thick, but it covers everything from dark circles to freckles!

FOUNDATION | Similar to concealer, I have tried quite a few this year. I don’t want to ever look like my makeup is “caked on” but I want full coverage to cover freckles, sun spots (ugh), and uneven skin. After going to Sephora and trying numerous the NARS Foundation was a favorite! I’ve used it for over 6 months now and I love it for photoshoot days, date night & when I want to feel 100% confident!

SETTING POWDER | I’ll admit this is new to me! When I was at Sephora to test new concealers and foundations, my consultant recommended I try this powder based on a few things I told her. Y’all it’s a game changer! For the days I wear my CC Cream, I sprinkle this over my face for a finished look. On days I wear more makeup I use this to set my foundation and concealer.

BEAUTY BLENDER | This is the holy grail of beauty products for me! I’m no beauty guru at all… I promise, but this applicator makes everything SO smooth and even! I’ve been using the Beauty Blender for years and I’m 100% sold on it!

MAKEUP BRUSHES | Speaking of, these makeup brushes are by far the best I have used in all my years! I wash mine on a monthly basis and they always feel brand new after I wash them with this product and this cleanser.

BLUSH | Becca is one of my favorite brands (that glow tho!) and when they introduced blush I was immediately smitten. They offer a wide range of colors and they’re all really pigmented. My personal favorites are Cameilla & Foxglove.

HIGHLIGHTER | This is my FAVORITE product e-v-e-r. I swear, it’s amazing! Any day you’re not feeling 100% add this to your routine and you’ll instantly feel more confident! This highlighter give the BEST glow of any I have ever tried! A lot of people think I contour (#AintGotNoTimeForThat) but this is my secret trick! I use the “opal” color on top of my blush for the ultimate glowing moment! It accentuates your cheekbones in the best way possible.

EYEBROW | I have naturally light eyebrows (it basically looks like I don’t have any haha) so I “need” eyebrow products to give a little definition. I love the Anastasia brow powder  and brow definer products for giving me the brow look I’m going for daily! They’re not too dramatic and work wonders.

FACE MASK | Earlier this year L’Oreal sent me their new line of face masks to try. I always love to try new face masks and I was so surprised when I tried out theirs. These clay masks offer quick results and worked so well with my sensitive skin. I’ve tried all of them now and I love each of them, but this one is my favorite! I try to use them on a weekly basis to keep my skin feeling fresh, bright, and healthy.

EYESHADOW PALETTE | I’ll preface this and let you know that I don’t use eyeshadow that often, but when I do I love this palette. It is filled with a lot of great neutral colors that are great for any eye color or skin type.

PERFUME | This year I strayed from my favorite perfume and tried something new…and I loved it so much! This scent is s0 clean fresh. I use it as a daily perfume and only use my favorite on date nights and nights out.

MASCARA PRIMER | Mascara primer is one of my favorite makeup products! I have long lashes, but they are blonde at the ends, so they sometimes can get lost if I don’t wear mascara. The primer instantly makes my eyelashes look longer, more thick, and fuller. It’s a total game changer… I promise!

MASCARA | I use numerous mascaras depending on the day and occasion. For an everyday wear mascara I use this drugstore brand mascara. If I’m going out I will layer this mascara on top of it for added volume and fullness. I know, it’s a little pricey but it’s 110% worth it!

EYELINER | I wear eyeliner almost daily because it opens my eyes a bit. I love this fine tip pen for precise lines! It’s long lasting and doesn’t ever smear. I mess with my eyes a lot, so if a product doesn’t smear it’s good in my book.

SUNSCREEN | I know this is something most people only apply during the summer months, but it is SO important to use sunscreen anytime you’re going out in the sun. The sun can affect your skin when you’re driving to work, through your office windows, etc. so using a daily sunscreen is a great way to protect your skin. This is one of my favorite sunscreen and skincare brands. I used it all summer at the beach and never once got burnt. It’s a thick formula that stays on so well. I highly recommend trying all of their products, including their hand cream (awesome for when you’re driving to work and the sun is hitting your steering wheel!)

LIP BALM | I’ll admit I am addicted to chapstick and lip balm. So when I say I love something, I mean it because I use it no fewer than 20 times a day haha! The Fresh lip balms are great because they have SPF coverage but they also have tints… perfect to use for date night or every day use! I discovered the Supergoop lip balm last year and have sworn by it ever since. It’s a thick formula that lasts for so long and keeps lips hydrated.

LIPGLOSS & LIPSTICK | If y’all have been reading here for a while you know I’m not a bright lipstick or lipgloss person. I prefer neutral shades that can be worn any season! The new Gen Nude line has over 50 neutral colors for every skin tone and type. They’re seriously amazing. A few of my favorite lip glosses include: Swag & Friendship.  A few of my favorite lipsticks include Crave, Heaven, Notorious & XOX.

DRY SHAMPOO | I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week (at max) so I use dry shampoo for the rest of the week. I’ve tried over 10 dry shampoos and this one is STILL one of my favorites. It’s affordable, available numerous places, and comes in a ton of scents (and specialty bottles for blondes/brunettes.)

1. Elle wrote:

LOVE becca products! Of of my favorite finds a couple of years ago. Thanks for sharing, great post lady!
    xo elle // https://splashofpreppy.com

Posted 1.24.17 Reply
  2. Nataly wrote:

So many wonderful beauty products here! I love those makeup brushes. I just picked them up recently! xo, Nataly

Posted 1.24.17 Reply
  3. Sophie wrote:

I need to start wearing sunscreen everyday.

Posted 1.24.17 Reply
  4. This post came at the perfect time, because I’ve been wanting to purchase new skincare products! I’ve been leaning toward trying IT Cosmetics, and that makeup remover seems like the perfect place to start!

Also, so excited to try the highlighter you recommended! I have fair skin, and finding the perfect highlighter that isn’t too dark but doesn’t give me sparkling pale skin a la Twilight is next to impossible! Haha

XO, SS || Seersucker Sass

Posted 1.24.17 Reply
  5. Shelby Back wrote:

This roundup is awesome! It Cosmetics brushes are hands down the best!

xo!
    Shelby

Posted 1.24.17 Reply
  6. meggan wrote:

Love your favs – I’m also obsessed with the Nars setting powder and beauty blender!

Posted 1.24.17 Reply
  7. Maggie wrote:

So glad I use a lot of these!! That setting powder by Nars is my favorite!

Posted 1.24.17 Reply
  8. Girl, this round up is fabulous! I’ve tried quite a few of these goodies. Love the first aid beauty products!

Posted 1.24.17 Reply
  9. So many great products! I’ve used some of these and have wanted to try a lot of the others!!

Posted 1.24.17 Reply
  10. Love the blender and the lip balm by fresh!! Love seeing what everyone likes always!

Jenna from http://www.visionsofvogue.com

Posted 1.24.17 Reply
  11. i LOVE finding new beauty favorites from others! thanks for the round up and descriptions – this was so helpful!

Posted 1.24.17 Reply
  12. Anna Cobbs wrote:

This is such a great and thorough post!!!

Posted 1.25.17 Reply
  13. Kasey wrote:

I love your list it’s so detailed! Seriously saving this for when I need new products!

Posted 1.25.17 Reply
  14. Lauren wrote:

Love all of your picks! I’ve never tried the NARS setting powder, but might need to try!
    xx
    Lauren

Posted 2.1.17 Reply

• A little mid-week floral happiness for ya! 🌸 hows everyone doing this week? I’m having a pretty good week so far - sharing a few things I’m thankful for this week:
• a loving, supportive husband! I haven’t been out of the house in 2+ weeks & he’s made sure I have everything I need!
• neighborhood walks, they’re good for the soul & a great way to recharge.
• a great support system near & far keeping me encouraged!
• the ability to catch up with friends! 👩🏼‍💻Had a great zoom call with my #bloggersdotravel girls @mystylevita @glitterandgingham @kristinchambless & @poorlittleitgirl today!
• my endless pile of books that I want to read! 📚I’ve enjoyed unplugging and reading every day. #booksconnectus

share what you’re thankful for this week! 💙 http://liketk.it/2Mlh5 #liketkit #LTKhome #floralarrangement
  • 24 weeks with our baby boy🤰🏼💙 it’s crazy to think we get to meet him in just 16 weeks, it feels like this pregnancy has flown by! 👶🏻I feel grateful that I have had a healthy & happy pregnancy but, to be honest, the last few weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions. As a first time mom, I have these feelings of immense sadness as the last half of this pregnancy is going to be nothing like I had envisioned. There have been a lot of tears over the fact that many exciting moments can no longer be shared with those closest to us. I know others have it much, much worse but I’ve learned it’s ok to be sad & to feel these emotions. I’m upset that I am no longer able to have a baby shower to celebrate our first born, I’m sad I don’t get to hug our family and watch their faces as they see my growing bump. I’m upset that these last few months of just the two of us look completely different - more time spent in our house quarantined and less time having date nights at our favorite spots and doing the things we want before baby arrives. I mourn the fact that our families may not get to meet our baby boy in the hospital the way we always talked about. But with any situation, I have cried it out (a lot) and decided to take it one day at a time and to find joy in each day💙 And ya know what? There’s a lot of joy amidst the chaos. It brings me so much joy to feel his daily movement (and my heart nearly burst when Nick felt him kick for the first time).🥰I am overjoyed that we have such a strong support system near and far. I love that we get to spend more time at home spoiling our fur babies. I find solace knowing that there are so many pregnant mamas out there feeling these exact emotions & we share a common experience and bond! I am grateful for those that are on the front lines caring for everyone. I know we have the best doctors carrying us through this uncertain time. We are strong mamas and we will get through this! 💕 so, I challenge you to find the join in each day no matter your situation! #24weekspregnant #24weeks #pregnancy #2ndtrimester #stylethebump #bumpstyle #pregnant #pregnantduringcovid19 #pregnantblogger #thebump #boymom #expecting #expectingmom
  • Thinking back on a time when I got dressed (in something other than leggings) & was able to leave my house 💙🙈🤣 Anyone else going a bit stir crazy?! 🏡 I think I’m going to put on this @sailtosable dress on Friday & have an in-house date night to feel a lil fancy! 😊 shop this look here + linking a few of their dresses that are on sale! http://liketk.it/2M21a @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKspring #sailtosable #sailtosablepartner
  • Anyone else been reading more lately? 📚 Reading is my favorite form of self-care & now more than ever I'm leaning on books during this stressful time we're in. 🤓Reading before bed lets me unwind and relax! I'm teaming up with @penguinrandomhouse to challenge you to read 10-30 minutes before bed as part of their #ReadtoSleep campaign! March is National Sleep Awareness month so put your phone down & pick up a book for the next few weeks and give yourself a much needed break! 💙 [ad]

p.s. they have a great giveaway going on with @parachutehome where you can win 25 books of your choice (OMG!) and a cozy bedding set from Parachute! Find out how to enter on my stories!

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. US Residents, 18+. Enter ‪between 1/15/20 and 3/31/20‬. See Official Rules at ‪bit.ly/2sgzc6U‬
  • How’s everyone doing? 💙 I’m taking it one day (heck, sometimes one hour!) at a time this week!

Here are a few things I’m grateful for:
• Getting to check on our baby boy👶🏻& hear his heartbeat today!
• That I am able to work from home & have some sense of normalcy through all of this👩🏼‍💻.
• Those who are working & caring for others (including doctors, nurses, delivery drivers, those who work at grocery stores & restaurants handling takeout).
• Having this community to chat with through the good & bad days! It’s been so nice connecting with all of you via DM (especially those who are pregnant or new moms!) as we juggle this new “normal.”
Shop today’s casual outfit here or at the link in my bio http://liketk.it/2LMWs @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKbump #LTKunder100 #bumpstyle #stylethebump #ingridandisabel #everydaymadewell #pregnantblogger #pregnancy #expectingmom #boymom #secondtrimester #2ndtrimester #momtobe #22weekspregnant
  • Hi friends 👋🏻It’s a new week & I’m going into it with a positive attitude (that’s all we can hope for at this point, right?) 💙I’m social distancing & self quarantining in an effort to “flatten the curve.” We spent the weekend going on walks with our pup🐶, getting in a lot of reading📚, binging Love is Blind📺 and cooking some of our favorite meals🍽! We’re trying to remain positive & do the best we can to protect ourselves and others 😊 p.s. I am *loving* this dress (wearing XS) & it’s bump approved - swipe to see a pic of my #22weekspregnant bump! http://liketk.it/2LDxv @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKspring #LTKbump #bumpstyle #stylethebump #pregnantblogger #22weeks #expectingmom #babyontheway #2ndtrimester #bumpfriendly