We’re halfway through the week and I couldn’t be more excited about that! Speaking of excited, today I’m sharing my first wedding Wednesday post with you all! I have been so overwhelmed with the responses and comments from you all since our engagement last month! You all have been so kind & so excited about our new adventure and that makes my heart so happy! Many of you told me you wanted to see details of our wedding, so I’m excited to bring this new element to Life With Emily.
I plan on posting a Wedding Wednesday post once or twice a month about our wedding planning process. Of course, I have quite a few ideas in mind and a few things I definitely want to keep a secret until the big day, but in the mean time, if you have any post ideas or suggestions PLEASE let me know. I want y’all to enjoy this as much as I do!
We’ve been engaged exactly one month now and it seems like we’re making quite a bit of progress on everything so far! It was nice to get engaged right before the holidays because we were able to spend the next few weeks celebrating with friends and family who came into town! That’s not to say it also didn’t add a little stress into the mix, but for the most part it was spent taking in the moment with everyone we love! In the weeks since we got engaged, I did all of the girly things with my friends… I got my first wedding magazine (followed by a lot from friends/family/brands), got The Mrs. Box for my ring and played for hours on Pinterest glancing at wedding details; but we have also gotten a decent amount done in the month we’ve been engaged, too!
WHAT WE’VE DONE SO FAR:
- We picked a date!!! We both really wanted a fall wedding and we settled on a Saturday in October of this year! We have 10 months to plan and I am so excited for it all.
- We have a venue! I will be 100% honest and say (so far) this has been the most stressful part of wedding planning. Neither of us were set on a date, we just knew we wanted a fall wedding. I’m really glad neither of us had our heart set on a date because dates go fast and what’s available one moment is gone the next. Going into it there were two places I really wanted to tour. I made a list of venues that I found on The Knot and these were on my “top venues” list. I had this idea of what I thought I wanted, but in the end, neither worked out. I’ll share a bit more in another Wedding Wednesday post about what to ask, etc. when looking for a venue! The venue we ended up with is a total d-r-e-a-m and it’s 110% us and our style! So far the staff have been incredibly accommodating and have been able to answer any and all questions we have had! I feel so confident in them handling our special day.
- We’ve taken care of our food for the cocktail hour and reception as well as the bar!
- We’ve picked our bridesmaids and groomsmen! That part was pretty easy, of course! But it was nice to be able to cross it off of our list haha 🙂 I plan on asking my bridesmaids in the next two weeks, so I’ll be sure to share how I decided to ask my bridesmaids in a Wedding Wednesday post. Nick got his best man a really nice bottle of bourbon and asked him with that (it was pretty casual with the guys, haha)!
- We hired a band! This was something Nick and I really wanted and we found a great local band that had a solid song list for the night. We cannot wait to dance the night away with them. We also found them through The Knot’s vendor search.
- We have (almost) finalized the guest list! A few days after we got engaged we came up with a preliminary list of people and divided them between our family, our friends, and our family friends. I anticipated this being a difficult process, but it was surprisingly easier than I thought. We’ve almost settled on a final number of guests and that’s a huge relief.
WHAT WE’RE WORKING ON:
- Photographer! I’m very particular and I’ve been in contact with quite a few… it just comes down to budget, style, and finding one we “mesh” well with! I want everything to feel easy and come naturally on our wedding day! I’m setting up a few consultations next week and hope to have one picked out by the end of the week!
- Registering! Since we will have lived together for over a year by the time we get married, there’s not much that we actually “need” but we are both excited to register for more updated pieces for our home. I plan on doing a more detailed post on this!
- Planning…. well, everything! There is a laundry list of things that need to be researched, vendors that need to be booked, and tasks that need to be handled! The Knot sent me their wedding binder and it has truly been a lifesaver! There are so many details that go into planning a wedding that you don’t think about until you’re a bride. Having this guide has helped tremendously. My parents got me the Southern Weddings Binder for Christmas and it’s also been really helpful, especially pertaining to Southern traditions! I’ve been using both as guides and highly recommend both (or either)!
I’m so excited to share this journey with you all! Please let me know if there’s anything in particular you want to read about (or see!) in terms of wedding planning! Until next time… you can follow along with the hashtag #ReadyToBecomeWilkinson