June 2017 Reading List

Happy weekend, everyone! Since summer is officially here I thought I would share some books that I’ve read recently! There are some really good ones in the pile that would be great for reading on the porch or tossing in your beach tote!

As always, you can see what I’m reading if you have a Goodreads account or by looking on my virtual book shelf! P.S. If you’ve read any good books lately, leave them in the comments.

Anyone have big plans for the weekend? It’s supposed to be pretty rainy here, so I plan to clean the house, start a packing list for my trip & spend some quality time with Nick before I leave next week! Have a great weekend, y’all!

You can see past book posts here:
BOOKS TO READ APRIL
BOOKS TO READ FEBRUARY
BOOKS TO READ NOVEMBER
BOOKS TO READ SUMMER 2016

THE ISLAND BY ELIN HILDERBRANDElin Hilderbrand is one of my favorite authors when it comes to easy, summer reads! Almost all of her books take place around Nantucket and they really get you in the summer spirit. After 30 years of marriage, Birdie Cousins has left her marriage and is rediscovering herself with a new boyfriend &  staying busy by planning her daughters wedding. When her daughter, Chess, abruptly ends her engagement, quits her job, and feels unsure about everything in her life, Birdie decides it’s time for a girls trip back to their Tuckernuck home. Birdie invites her sister India and her other daughter Tate for a summer at Tuckernuck to get Chess’ spirits back up. Each woman spends the summer dealing with their own set of issues and end up learning more about themselves than they thought they could. You never know how much you need family members until you’ve hit rock bottom.

PRETTY GIRLS BY KARIN SLAUGHTERI picked up this book at a church book sale and I’m so glad I did because it had been on my “to read” list for a while. If you’re looking for a gripping psychological thriller, then definitely pick this up! Warning: it is a bit graphic (way more than I expected). Sisters Claire & Lydia haven’t spoken in over twenty years, since the disappearance of their sister Julia. The two estranged sisters, living very different lives, come together after Claire’s husband is killed. At first Claire thinks her husband’s death is a tragic accident until Lydia and Claire begin digging deeper to reveal all of her husband’s secrets. This gripping book brings two disturbing tragedies to light in ways that they could have never imagined.

THE WIDOW BY FIONA BARTON | For Jean Taylor, when your husband is alive and accused of unspeakable things, you must stand by his side and keep quiet. But when her husband died unexpectedly, Jean decides she no longer has to stay quiet. There are many things Jean has kept quiet about all these years and it’s time to speak up. As Jean begins to tell her story, the police and reporters start to fill in the pieces of a case that has been cold for too long. But the ending is one they never expect. I will say that while it was a thriller, it wasn’t a page turner like Girl on the Train, which is what they compare it to. But, it’s a good read nonetheless.

SILVER GIRL BY ELIN HILDERBRANDLike I said earlier, I gravitate towards Elin Hilderbrand’s books in the summer months. I discovered I hadnt’ read this one yet, so I brought it to the beach and read it by the pool. Meredith Delinn is a woman who seems to have it all; the perfect life, a luxurious wardrobe to go along with her vacation homes, and a husband that is a wealthy investment banker. From the outside she seems to have everything…until one day all of the secrets come out. Her life was a facade… her husband has been cheating investors out of billions of dollars for years and Meredith was none the wiser. Left with nothing except a cell phone for her attorneys to contact her, she heads to her friend’s home in Nantucket for the summer to escape the wrath or reporters and FBI investigators. As the story unfolds, truth comes to light as Meredith helps with the case as much as she can and heals herself in the process.

THE OBSESSION BY NORA ROBERTSNaomi grew up in a strict household with a seemingly loving family… until one night she follows her dad into the woods and reveals a dark secret. After discovering the secret life her dad lead in their backyard, Naomi leaves to be with her uncles and to escape the nightmare that came afterwards. Years later, she stays on the run to keep her life secret until one determined man, Xander Keaton, struggles to find out who she really is. Naomi learns she can never really escape her past.

INTO THE DARKEST CORNER BY ELIZABETH HAYNESWhen something seems too good to be true… it probably is. Catherine quickly figures this out when she meets Lee. Everything seems to be going wonderfully until it’s not. She is soon in the midst of a violent relationship that she can’t seem to escape. After years of violent behavior, Catherine plans the ultimate escape and Lee lands in prison. Catherine is gaining her true self back slowly and is making progress in a new city years later when she is notified that Lee will be released soon and all the trauma and nightmares return. Lee knows no bounds when it comes to finding Catherine, but luckily this time she has Stuart…and is not letting her fear get in the way any more.

THE RIVER AT NIGHT BY ERICA FERENCIKI had high hopes for this one after seeing many people give it good reviews. To be honest, I didn’t really love this book. It was a slower read for me and I kept reading it so that I would be finished with it. Maybe it just wasn’t my cup of tea, though! Anyways, four friends get together for a reunion vacation in rural Maine to go white water rafting. While one friend, Pia, is really for the unknown of a rafting adventure in the middle of nowhere, the other girls Wini, Rachel, and Sandra have their doubts. An accident leaves the group with no tour guide and no raft…and no way to contact the world. The four girls must work together, trust their instincts, and most importantly stay alive. While there were some parts that had me turning each page rapidly, for the most part, it wasn’t as thrilling as I imagined it would be. The last part of the book was a surprise and unexpected, but getting to that point was daunting.P.S. I bought the Kindle Paperwhite for my Europe trip and really like it so far! It has been so nice to read books outside without a glare. It is super lightweight (lighter than my iPad) and hold a battery for a really long time! I’ve already got about five books on it for my trip! Let me know if you have any book suggestions!

1. Kristina wrote:

The Widow sounds pretty interesting- I swear, I only read when I’m on vacation. JUST red Girl on the Train while I was in Italy… so behind, lol!

xo, Kristina

Posted 6.23.17 Reply
  2. i’m SO impressed with your reading skills friend… i am missing my reading time before bed each night and need to get back into the habit

Posted 6.23.17 Reply
  3. Morgan wrote:

Adding ‘The Island’ and ‘The Obsession’ to my list!! Both sound like great summer reads for my beach trip next week!

-Morgan
    How 2 Wear It [] http://how2wearit.com

Posted 6.23.17 Reply
  4. Rach wrote:

I am so intrigued by ‘The Obsession’. Thanks for sharing this list!

Posted 6.23.17 Reply
  5. hanna wrote:

I love your suggestions! –Hanna Lei

Posted 6.23.17 Reply
  6. Anna English wrote:

You always have the best recs!

Posted 6.23.17 Reply
  7. Adding some of these to my summer list!

Posted 6.23.17 Reply
  8. Kim wrote:

I just added a bunch of these to my wish list on Amazon! I just finished My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella and it was a cute easy read for by the pool. I have also recently enjoyed The Perfect Girl by Gilly MacMillan (starts kind slow but picks up) and Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty.

xoxo,
    Kim

Posted 6.23.17 Reply
  9. Caley wrote:

I also enjoyed The Widow – and definitely going to try a few of these! I am just finishing up The Girl Before, you would love it x

Posted 6.24.17 Reply
  10. Nina wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations! I need a couple of travel reads and I may do a couple of these!

xx Nina

Posted 6.24.17 Reply
  11. I’m not much of a book reader, but “The Island” sounds like a good book!

xx,
    Amanda || http://www.fortheloveofglitter.com

Posted 6.24.17 Reply
  12. def could use a few for vacation this summer!

Posted 6.25.17 Reply
  13. Sarah wrote:

You always have such great book recs! Thanks for sharing and have a blast on your trip!

xo,
    Sarah

Posted 6.26.17 Reply
  14. Maggie wrote:

Ah I am in need of a new book! THANK YOU!

Posted 6.27.17 Reply

• Let’s chat BABY REGISTRY! 👶🏻 we are working on finishing up our baby registry & would love to know your “must have” items, any items we should be sure to add AND the items that you registered for but never ended up using! 🙌🏻🤰🏼 let’s help all the moms to be out! http://liketk.it/2MzqD #LTKbaby #LTKbump #babyregistry #dockatot #buybuybaby #monicaandandy
  • We made it to Friday 🙌🏻 I’m having my coffee & getting some work in so I can relax a bit this weekend! The weather here is gorgeous so I’m hoping to get outside this weekend too ☀️😊💙 I’m sharing a roundup of my cozy at home essentials on lifewithemilyblog.com today! Linking everything in the @liketoknow.it app here: http://liketk.it/2Mp9u #liketkit #StayHomeWithLTK #LTKunder100 #LTKhome #24weekspregnant #pregnantblogger #loungewear
  • A little mid-week floral happiness for ya! 🌸 hows everyone doing this week? I’m having a pretty good week so far - sharing a few things I’m thankful for this week:
• a loving, supportive husband! I haven’t been out of the house in 2+ weeks & he’s made sure I have everything I need!
• neighborhood walks, they’re good for the soul & a great way to recharge.
• a great support system near & far keeping me encouraged!
• the ability to catch up with friends! 👩🏼‍💻Had a great zoom call with my #bloggersdotravel girls @mystylevita @glitterandgingham @kristinchambless & @poorlittleitgirl today!
• my endless pile of books that I want to read! 📚I’ve enjoyed unplugging and reading every day. #booksconnectus

share what you’re thankful for this week! 💙 http://liketk.it/2Mlh5 #liketkit #LTKhome #floralarrangement
  • 24 weeks with our baby boy🤰🏼💙 it’s crazy to think we get to meet him in just 16 weeks, it feels like this pregnancy has flown by! 👶🏻I feel grateful that I have had a healthy & happy pregnancy but, to be honest, the last few weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions. As a first time mom, I have these feelings of immense sadness as the last half of this pregnancy is going to be nothing like I had envisioned. There have been a lot of tears over the fact that many exciting moments can no longer be shared with those closest to us. I know others have it much, much worse but I’ve learned it’s ok to be sad & to feel these emotions. I’m upset that I am no longer able to have a baby shower to celebrate our first born, I’m sad I don’t get to hug our family and watch their faces as they see my growing bump. I’m upset that these last few months of just the two of us look completely different - more time spent in our house quarantined and less time having date nights at our favorite spots and doing the things we want before baby arrives. I mourn the fact that our families may not get to meet our baby boy in the hospital the way we always talked about. But with any situation, I have cried it out (a lot) and decided to take it one day at a time and to find joy in each day💙 And ya know what? There’s a lot of joy amidst the chaos. It brings me so much joy to feel his daily movement (and my heart nearly burst when Nick felt him kick for the first time).🥰I am overjoyed that we have such a strong support system near and far. I love that we get to spend more time at home spoiling our fur babies. I find solace knowing that there are so many pregnant mamas out there feeling these exact emotions & we share a common experience and bond! I am grateful for those that are on the front lines caring for everyone. I know we have the best doctors carrying us through this uncertain time. We are strong mamas and we will get through this! 💕 so, I challenge you to find the join in each day no matter your situation! #24weekspregnant #24weeks #pregnancy #2ndtrimester #stylethebump #bumpstyle #pregnant #pregnantduringcovid19 #pregnantblogger #thebump #boymom #expecting #expectingmom
  • Thinking back on a time when I got dressed (in something other than leggings) & was able to leave my house 💙🙈🤣 Anyone else going a bit stir crazy?! 🏡 I think I’m going to put on this @sailtosable dress on Friday & have an in-house date night to feel a lil fancy! 😊 shop this look here + linking a few of their dresses that are on sale! http://liketk.it/2M21a @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKspring #sailtosable #sailtosablepartner
  • Anyone else been reading more lately? 📚 Reading is my favorite form of self-care & now more than ever I'm leaning on books during this stressful time we're in. 🤓Reading before bed lets me unwind and relax! I'm teaming up with @penguinrandomhouse to challenge you to read 10-30 minutes before bed as part of their #ReadtoSleep campaign! March is National Sleep Awareness month so put your phone down & pick up a book for the next few weeks and give yourself a much needed break! 💙 [ad]

p.s. they have a great giveaway going on with @parachutehome where you can win 25 books of your choice (OMG!) and a cozy bedding set from Parachute! Find out how to enter on my stories!

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. US Residents, 18+. Enter ‪between 1/15/20 and 3/31/20‬. See Official Rules at ‪bit.ly/2sgzc6U‬