Wedding Wednesday: Where We Are In Our Planning Process Pt. 2

It’s been a while since I did a wedding planning update (over 100 days actually!) so I thought I would use today’s Wedding Wednesday to share where we are in our wedding planning process! You can see the last update here. When we first started to plan our wedding it was all logistical stuff. Vendor booked: check. Item crossed off of the list: check.

Now that we’re four months out things are actually coming together. This past month we’ve done a lot and we’re starting to see our visions come to life. I’m not going to lie, wedding planning is a really fun, but really emotional process. I can’t tell you how many times I have teared up or cried (happy tears!) during the planning process haha.

WHAT WE’VE DONE SO FAR

• Since the last update I said yes to the dress! I think I have looked at the photos of my dress every single day. I cannot wait for it to get here and to wear it as I marry Nick and celebrate our love! Speaking of the dress, I had a bit of an issue with it though and ended up having a mini-meltdown last month when I was working from Starbucks (it was embarrassing, but whatever!) I am working with a designer for a semi-custom dress. My point of contact left the company and I found out when I was following up on swatches for something. I thank my lucky stars I followed up because it turns out my dress had never gotten ordered. *insert giant panic attack* Luckily everything got handled and ordered quickly, but man, I was a m-e-s-s in Starbucks that day haha. So now my dress ships out 60 days before, so the timeline will be kind of tight! WHEW.
  • Other than that slight snafu, everything else has been pretty smooth! We have secured our videographer, our florist, our wedding planner & our rehearsal dinner location. The rehearsal dinner location was almost as hard to secure as our venue!
  • We sent out our save the date cards! We loved assembling these together and sending them out! So many of our friends and family members sent us photos when they received them and it made us so happy. We even kept the design and everything a secret from our parents so they would be surprised when they got it in the mail too. 🙂
  • I have had to get suuuuper organized. All of the contracts, papers, and notes can be a little overwhelming if you don’t find a way to organize it all. I found that the Erin Condren wedding planner was the best for helping me mark important dates, due dates for payment & deadlines. I’ll share a post on how I’ve stayed organized soon!

• We had our engagement party! We had the sweetest group of family friends host our engagement party and it was the best time. We had it on May 6th (Kentucky Derby Day) so we had a Derby themed party full of big hats, mint juleps & southern fare. It was so fun to celebrate with everyone together and see how everyone dressed up!
  • We had just started pre-marital counseling at our church when I posted the last update, but we have completed counseling now! Our program was through Prepare/Enrich and I can’t recommend it enough. Before starting, each of us took  a ~300 question survey to get to know us better and the results helped determine what topics to discuss in counseling. Each week we met with our pastor and went over different topics in the couples workbook. It was really nice to talk about certain topics that we hadn’t really discussed in detail yet. The workbook also gives topics and “homework” that you can work on together at home. I feel like our relationship progressed and grew so much as a couple during our sessions. We ended up signing up for the emails afterwards and they’ve been really great reads so far.
  • My bachelorette party is less than three months away! We’re heading to Tybee Island/Savannah, Georgia for a long weekend of fun! My MOH, Bre, has been a rockstar with planning stuff and I am SO excited. The girls are keeping a lot of it a secret, so I’m definitely counting down the days.
  • I selected the bridesmaid dress color, which was a relief! It was difficult to decide because colors vary SO much between fabrics and they all look different when viewing on a computer screen. I ordered a few different fabric swatches and took them to our venue(s) so I could see the true color in different lights. I ended up choosing a “pewter” color– the one with a portion cut out of it! It is the exact color I was searching high and low for and I can’t wait to see their dresses in the color.

WHAT WE ARE WORKING ON:

I don’t even feel like I can accurately describe what we are working on because the list is a mile long. It can be a little overwhelming if you try to look at it all at once, but we try to take it all in stride. We plan nights in our calendar that are for tackling wedding stuff. This is helpful so that we can keep everything on schedule and make sure we aren’t overwhelmed the last month or so!

• Music. We have our band & they have a great song list, but we still need to determine our entrance song, our first dance and work with our parents on the father-daughter dance & the mother-son dance. If anyone has any good ones, let me know! We also need to compile a list of “must play” songs and a list of “do not play” songs!
  • Dance lessons. Speaking of music, we need to take a few dance lessons for our first dance. My dance moves are more embarrassing than anything else hahaha!
  • Seating. This has been the most daunting task to even think about. We still don’t have a full layout of the room yet, but we want to start working on a tentative seating chart for our guests.
  • Day of Paper Goods. We need to finalize our invites, figure out our programs for the ceremony, and figure out what other paper goods we need for the wedding.
  • Welcome Bags & Favors. We have an idea of what we want to do for both, it just comes down to executing it!
  • Finalize the cocktail hour & dinner menu. We plan on changing a few things that we originally thought we wanted so we need to do that & make sure everything is good to go.
  • Book our honeymoon. A few weeks ago I asked for honeymoon recommendations on instagram stories and got an overwhelming response from y’all! I wrote down every single one  and we just need to narrow down our options and book it!
  • a million other things. Truly, about one million other items! The fun is in the process though and we’re taking in every moment together because I know we will look back on these memories forever 🙂

1. Kristina wrote:

Ahhh this takes me back to a year ago- planning is definitely stressful but so much fun (especially the dance lessons part)! Who did you end up going with for video??

xo, Kristina

• Emily wrote:

We have had the best time planning so far! Excited for dance lessons…goodness knows I need them haha! And we ended up going with Whitewash Films- out of Charlotte!

Posted 6.7.17 Reply
  2. I love seeing how your wedding is coming together! It’s going to be so beautiful; I can’t wait to see!

xo, Amanda | http://www.thegoldengirldiary.com

• Emily wrote:

Thank you! We are counting down the days 🙂

3. sarah lindner wrote:

Your wedding sounds like its going to be amazing! I cant wait to see!
    XOXO
    Sarah Lindner

• Emily wrote:

Thanks lady! It has been so fun putting our personality & style into our big day 🙂

Posted 6.7.17 Reply
  4. So exciting! Crossing to-dos off your list feels so great!

Mindy amixofmin.com

• Emily wrote:

Yes! Crossing off those things feels like such a relief!

Posted 6.7.17 Reply
  5. LOVE these kinds of posts. Thanks for bringing us along throughout the process. Can’t wait to see all the final details come together. You’re going to be stunning and the day will be just perfect!!

XOXO

Kristyn

• Emily wrote:

Thank you so much for your sweet words Kristyn! It has been so much fun to share bits and pieces of our big day! I can’t wait until our wedding day… woohoo!

PS Excited for your new adventure! xo

6. Lacey wrote:

Oh this is just so exciting! I can’t wait to see it all come together! I wish I could get married again!

xx,

Lacey

• Emily wrote:

Thank you! All of my married friends say the same thing!

7. Nita Mann wrote:

Ah this is all so exciting!! Your wedding is going to be beautiful and I can’t wait for more updates!

• Emily wrote:

Thank you so much Nita! Excited to share updates over the next few months! xx

Posted 6.7.17 Reply
  8. Wow! It must be so much fun planning! I feel like you’ve done so much and still have a lot of cool things left to plan! So exciting!

• Emily wrote:

Yes! Now all of the fun stuff is starting to happen, which I am so excited about!

9. Kim wrote:

I don’t know what you are talking about… you have the best dance moves! You are going to be such a pretty bride and I love following along with the wedding planning process. I would have had a MAJOR freak out also if my dress hadn’t been ordered!

xoxo,
    Kim

• Emily wrote:

HAHA… together our dance moves are dangerous, friend! Yes I had a minor freak out, but all is well now thank goodness! 🙂

10. Rachel wrote:

Such an exciting process!! I can’t wait to see your wedding dress, you’re going to look beautiful!

Rachel / http://www.helloher.co

Posted 6.8.17 Reply
  11. Jessica wrote:

Hi Emily, sounds like an amazing planning process for your wedding! Congrats on getting a lot done already 🙂
    ~Jessica

Posted 6.8.17 Reply
  12. hanna wrote:

Looks like you’re doing well! –Hanna Lei

Posted 6.10.17 Reply
  13. Lindsay wrote:

Gosh I remember the wedding planning days… so fun and exciting! It sounds like you have got a lot accomplished so far!

Posted 6.14.17 Reply

• Weekend plan: find Bernadette! 🕶💁🏼‍♀️🌍🎬so beyond thrilled that Where’d You Go Bernadette is officially in theaters TODAY! 🎉 last month I jetted off to Toronto thanks to @bernadettefilm for a once in a lifetime experience. We got to go to an advanced screening of #WheredYouGoBernadette followed by a Q&A with #RichardLinklater and the cast of the movie. It was truly fascinating hearing them talk about @mariasemple’s book to movie adaption, how they related to #Bernadette & all the filming details! I think I’m still reeling from being in the same room as these talented people! And yes, I totally fan girled over meeting & chatting with @sleepinthegardn (PLL FAN 4 LYFE!) 😂

If you loved the book, be sure to see the movie! And if you haven’t read the book yet, definitely add it to your shelf! 📚 #enwreads They did an incredible job adapting this book and maintaining the essence of Bernadette’s witty, exotic character! I think you’ll find yourself relating to Bernadette in *some* way throughout the movie! I loved it - I laughed, I teared up & it’s full of heartwarming moments! Huge thanks to @bernadettefilm for the wonderful weekend in #Toronto! 💙[ad] #cateblanchette #bernadettefilm #troianbellisario
  • We’re one day away from the weekend! 🎉🙌🏻 this late summer look is on the blog today & I’m chatting about how to transition both pieces into fall! 💙 to shop this look you can head to lifewithemilyblog.com or follow me in the @liketoknow.it app, just search emilynwilkinson http://liketk.it/2EbrB #liketkit #LTKunder100 #LTKstyletip #madewell #madewellnc
  • Looking for a great book to add to your reading list?! 📚 Don't worry, I've got ya covered with a new book called #AmericanRoyals! 👸🏻@katharinemcgee’s latest book is one that will suck you right in with a new royal family... and they're located in the USA! 🇺🇸You'll be enthralled with the royals, the scandals, and their family drama! This book publishes on September 3rd, but you can pre-order it now (link in my stories!) and if you submit your receipt you'll get a free tote with your pre-order purchase!  @getunderlined #getunderlined [ad]
US Residents 13+. Ends 9/2/19. See terms at bit.ly/2OqHxz0
  • Happy Monday, friends! 💓 Let’s start the week out right and spread a little kindness, starting with teachers! 👩🏼‍🏫 It’s August which means it’s back-to-school season, so I’ve teamed up with some other influencers to help #clearthelists for teachers and I hope you’ll join me! 📕✏️🖍📌📎📖💌 Please tag any teachers that are underfunded & desperately in need of supplies below. I have a teacher that I’m featuring on my IG Stories & you can see more lists on  @natsnextadventure @ashleyspivey @brooklynblonde1 @lipglossandcrayons
@katiemcrenshaw @lombardandfifth @girlgonechildinnyc @audreymcclellan @dreamingofhomemaking @the_rusticpallet @twindollicious @mellycoy @graceinthecrumbs @sarajanemercer and @mamacoaster. We all love and appreciate our teachers, let’s show them how much! 🍎#BloggersforBetter
  • It’s the weekend! 🎉🙌🏻💙 planning on having a low key weekend & catching up on reading after a crazy week! These were a few of my favorite reads from July! I HIGHLY recommend #MrsEverything & #CityofGirls 📚(all my book reviews are on the blog - link in bio!) http://liketk.it/2DSVd #enwreads
  • To be completely honest, today has been a shit show 🤦🏼‍♀️ My morning started off at 3:15 with a sick pup & continued snow balling until about 5:00 this evening. Some days just get the best of ya & today our animals got the best of me and Nick🤣 luckily they’re both ok 🐶🐱 but man, today was rough and stressful! The highlight of my day was meeting @_happygocurly_ for coffee while she was in town this AM! ☕️ We have never met, but had been friends online for years!  It was like grabbing coffee with an old friend! 👯‍♀️ chin up friends, the weekend is *almost* here!
Shop my outfit by clicking the link in my bio or by following @emilynwilkinson in the @liketoknow.it app http://liketk.it/2DREY #liketkit #LTKunder100 #LTKunder50