Wedding Wednesday: 3 Months Until “I Do!”

This last month has been a whirlwind, to say the least! I was out of the country for three weeks and ever since I returned Nick and I have been in full wedding planning mode! With only 92 days to go, our to-do list seems to be growing by the minute haha!

This past weekend we set aside time to really talk through & tackle some of the items on our list. We made our favorite breakfast, poured a few mimosas, and got to work! In total, we spent about 4 hours just working through details and making decisions on a lot of stuff. There’s something so great about crossing off an item from the to-do list!

So today I wanted to share what we’ve done & we still have left to do in the next 90-ish days! I have loved using my blog to document our wedding planning process and I really, really appreciate all of your encouraging words, your advice & messages of happiness as I share this time with you all! These posts will be so fun to look back on years down the road…so again, thank you for letting me share it with you all 🙂

You can see other wedding update posts below:
Wedding Planning
Wedding Planning Update Part I
Wedding Planning Update Part II

P.S. This is a photo that Framebridge sent me from their new Wedding Shop. I love that you can have a foil-printed message (your wedding date, hashtag, etc) on the mat! Such a sweet idea for a wedding gift!

WHAT WE’VE DONE SO FAR:

• I have set my hair & makeup trial! My mom is coming with me to this appointment in September and I am looking forward to it! I have somewhat of an idea of what I want, but I’m excited to play around and try a few things.
  • We set our food/wine tasting appointment! We will be sampling our dishes & wines on August 9th. We will also be coming up with signature drinks then as well! I’m excited to see what the bartenders come up with for this.
  • We have decided on our first dance song….I think! This is something we have gone back and forth on for a few weeks. Nick and I both agreed that we didn’t want something really slow or something that has been played to death. Who knew how hard that would be?! On Saturday we stumbled upon a song & really liked it, so I think that’s the one we are going with, but I’m not going to share it just incase we change our minds!
  • Speaking of music, we made a list of songs we want our band to play along with a list of songs we don’t want played! Our band recommended that we do this & I’m glad they did because I probably wouldn’t have given it much thought.
  • We have finalized our invitations, now we just have to order them! We have to send them out in exactly one month. ahhh!
  • We finally decided on the look for our wedding cake. We both are pretty simple, so we kept our cake that way too! Our baker is incredible and has made cakes for occasions over the years, so I’m really excited for it (even though I’m not much of a sweets person!)
  • We found a calligrapher (turns out it’s a friend of mine!) to do our wedding signage! She is really talented & creative, so I can’t wait to see the final results.
  • I can’t remember if I already shared this or not, but we booked our venue for our rehearsal dinner and welcome party. It wasn’t the one we originally wanted, but it ended up working out better!
  • Speaking of rehearsal, we have started working on rehearsal dinner invites. We’re working with a local company, If It’s Paper, for most of our wedding paper needs and they have been SO amazing in guiding us, helping us come up with ideas & really catering to our needs. I can’t say enough great things about them.

WHAT WE ARE WORKING ON:

• Dance lessons: Since I was gone for three weeks, there was no sense in signing up before I left. Now that we have our song, we will be signing up for a few dance lessons soon. Did anyone else do this before their wedding? Any tips or advice?
  • Welcome bags & favors: We are finalizing what we want in our welcome bags for our guests. We have a running list of items, but if you have ANY ideas- please let me know. We are also re-thinking our favors. We had one idea and it wasn’t super cost effective, so we are back to square one on that!
  • Gifts for our wedding party: We have gifts for each side worked out (and a few have already arrived) but we’re working on a couple more as a “thank you” to our wonderful friends.
  • Gifts for our parents: I have a few ideas but would love to hear suggestions on what you all gave your parents/parents-in-law on your wedding day. I want it to be something special and meaningful.
  • Send-off: We are also trying to figure out what we want to do for our send-off. Our venue no longer allows sparklers, so we aren’t sure what we want to do. Sparklers are kind of overdone, so now it just makes us be a little more creative haha
  • Seating chart: We now have a better idea of the layout of our space, so we can really start working on seating chart options.
  • Info for day of paper goods: We now have to begin collecting info & writing it all down for our programs, menus, and welcome packets that go in our welcome bags. We’re trying to do this early on so we aren’t stressing about little details at the last minute.
  • Compiling a list of photos: In about a month our photographer will be reaching out about the photos we want the day of the wedding, so I’m working on compiling that list now. Are there any photos you all recommend getting? Or wish that you had gotten on your wedding day? Let me know!

Whew! What a list! Believe me, that’s not all we are working on, but I won’t bore you with the other tedious tasks we are taking on haha! Thanks so much for reading & let me know if you have any advice in the comments! xo

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSaveSaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

1. Anna wrote:

My advice for the favors: skip them! Do a donation to a favorite charity instead and put a sign up saying that you donated to said charity in lieu of wedding favors (which nobody takes home anyways!). My brother and SIL donated to The Ronald McDonald House charity, and if I get married, I plan on donating to the March of Dimes instead of having favors.

• Brenna wrote:

I LOVE this idea!!! How meaningful!

• Emily wrote:

Thank you so much for this idea, Anna! Such a great one & one we will definitely be considering now! Love this!

Thank you again! xx
      Emily

2. Tonja wrote:

Oh my goodness I’m glad I’m not the only one that doesn’t want certain songs played at the wedding!!! No “Strokin” on my dime! Lol Did you know that the visitors bureau will make personalized maps for your guests that will pinpoint all of the locations for your wedding with your names and wedding date, and it’s FREE (at least that’s what I’ve heard) totally checking into that!

• Emily wrote:

You are definitely not the only one!! I think our list of songs we DON’T want is longer than the ones we do haha! Just say no to line dances, Train “Marry Me,” and every other cliche song that’s played at every.single.wedding haha!! 🙂

And SUCH a good idea about the visitors bureau! I’m going to look into that this week. Thanks girl!

3. Maggie wrote:

Ah I can’t believe it is so soon! Time will fly! and picking our first dance song was the hardest part of planning our wedding!

• Emily wrote:

Time is seriously flying by! I know everyone tells you that, but you don’t really believe it until you’re suddenly looking back and you’ve been engaged for 8.5 months and you’re in the double digits to your wedding day…. it’s C R A Z Y!

And yes, I totally underestimated the first dance song. There are so many options, but at the same time not that many at all! There were plenty of songs we liked, but didn’t necessarily want to dance in front of 150 people to! What song did y’all end up deciding on?!

4. Jenny wrote:

This is the sweetest, everything will turn out perfectly! Just have fun and enjoy every single moment, it goes by way too fast.

• Emily wrote:

Thank you so much sweet friend! Time truly does fly… I can’t believe it! PS going to miss being at TBSCon this year 🙁 We need to get together!

5. Annie wrote:

Such an exciting time! Your wedding day will be here before you know it!

• Emily wrote:

It is truly an exciting time! It’s been such a fun season of life, but I am so excited to say “I do” and start the next season… with my husband!! 🙂

Posted 7.26.17 Reply
  6. Sounds like you’ve got most all of it figured out! I wish I would have skipped the favors–they didn’t matter and nobody cared. Also, we thought about taking dance lessons but in the end it worked out just fine without! I love that you’re compiling a list of photos–that’s a great idea! 🙂
    x
    Missy

• Emily wrote:

We are almost leaning towards no favors because we can’t even remember the favors from any of our friend’s weddings, aside from koozies!

And girl, if you saw my dance moves (or lack there of!) you would encourage the dance lessons hahaha 😉

7. Holly wrote:

You are going to be such a beautiful bride Emily!! Thank you for taking us along your wedding journey!

• Emily wrote:

You are so sweet Holly, Thank you! Happy to have you all to share this journey with!

8. Brianna wrote:

Love these updates – so excited for you!

For wedding favors, I am a huge fan when people take their allocated budget and donate it instead of giving out something that unfortunately a lot of people may not use. Some people advertise this and some don’t! For example, my sister and her husband did Wounder Warriors and ASPCA, two things close to their hearts.

For gifts for the parents, my sister did a frame with 3 inserts of photos afterwards and my mom loves it, she still smiles every time she looks at it!

• Emily wrote:

Thank you for being such a sweetheart & a loyal reader here! I always enjoy your comments! 🙂

If we decide to forgo favors, we would definitely do ASPCA for one of our charities!

I love that idea for parents gifts! Since ours is so close to Christmas I was thinking of giving them a gift bag of some of their favorite things (with a nod to memories over the years) and then for Christmas giving them photos from the day 🙂

9. Tamara wrote:

My husband didn’t want sparklers (he said he didn’t want to spend our wedding night in the emergency room, ha!), so we went with 2 foot long glow sticks instead. The pictures our great and our guests loved them!

• Emily wrote:

YES! Something about sparklers and people drinking don’t go too well together haha (also don’t want to risk someone accidentally burning us or our clothes!) such a cute idea! I’ll have to look at your pics!! 🙂

10. McKenzie wrote:

Congratulations!! I’d love to hear who you’re using for hair and makeup – I’m getting married next year and am in the same area and have had such a hard time deciding who to go with.

• Emily wrote:

Hey Mckenzie! Congrats on your engagement & upcoming wedding! 🙂 I’m using Carla White Beauty for my wedding hair & makeup (and for my bridesmaids, mom, step-mom & MIL!)

I originally found her on Instagram and loved that she does a lot of really classic looks (I don’t want to look like a different person on our wedding day!) She also does commercial shoots, so she knows what looks great in photos too!

When I met her in person, we hit it off right away. This was really important to me since I’m going to be spending my wedding morning with her & want to feel really comfortable!

She is @carlawhitebeauty on instagram & her site/email is:
      http://carlawhite.net & carla@carlawhite.net

Let her know I sent ya! XO

11. Rachel wrote:

So exciting ! I enjoyed planning my wedding since we took things real slow, so sometimes I kind of miss it

12. Amanda wrote:

Wedding planning can get stressful, but so much fun. I wish we would’ve taken dancing lessons.

Xx,
    Amanda || http://www.fortheloveofglitter.com

Posted 7.27.17 Reply
  13. Kristina wrote:

Getting so close!! Dance lessons were one of my favorite parts of planning. We took 5 classes and for all but the first one I wore my wedding shoes. Dancing in flats and heels is a whole different ballgame plus it gives you a chance to break in your shoes. I ended up wearing mine the entire night! And for our seating chart we used AllSeated.com – it was awesome!

Posted 7.27.17 Reply
  14. Madeline wrote:

Only a few more months till you wed! That is so exciting! Congratulations!

Posted 7.27.17 Reply
  15. Anna English wrote:

I love that beautiful photo of you two, so precious!

Posted 7.27.17 Reply
  16. Hannah wrote:

That photo is so stunning and a beautiful frame to put it in:)

xoxo, Hannah

Posted 7.27.17 Reply
  17. jessica wrote:

Where on earth did this year go!? I feel like it was just yesterday you were sending us a text about the darn penguins!

I never even thought of favors, I don’t think I’ve ever received one at a wedding and love the idea of donating to the ASPCA (in honor of Charlie duh). And for parents gifts, if you think of a good one for Mom, let me know. My sister is having a very hard time with her, she’s so difficult. But Dad is getting a nice watch, he’s a big watch guy.

xo Jessica
    My Style Vita

Posted 7.28.17 Reply
  18. cannot believe your big day is inching closer and closer… so happy for you beautiful friend!

Posted 7.28.17 Reply
  19. April wrote:

Try bubbles for your send off! You got this girl, I can’t wait to see all the photos and videos from your wedding!

April | http://www.thebluehydrangeas.com

Posted 7.28.17 Reply
  20. Sarah K Tripp wrote:

This is such a fun series! Yay for only three more months!

Posted 7.30.17 Reply
  21. It sounds like things are coming along nicely! I’m living vicariously through you because I got married last summer. It was so much fun!

We had a destination wedding so we gave out tiny bottles of local coconut rum as our favor. I’ve seen some people do small bottles of wine too. However, not sure how cost effective that would be for a large wedding.

I’ve also seen people do take-home sweets (a mini bar where guests can take a little of different candies/cookies). I think my favorite was a take-home smores kit. It came with all the fixings to make 2 smores!

To be honest, though, I think no favors is probably totally fine. No one remembers most favors!

Posted 7.31.17 Reply
  22. Hillary wrote:

That picture of you two is beautiful! Such a great idea!

~Hillary