My 2018 Goals – Personal & Professional

I go back and forth every year about setting (or not setting) goals. While they’re great in theory, they can also be a little daunting. Nothing like looking back at the goals you set at the beginning of the year only to feel like you failed, am I right?! Last year I did a “word of the year” and while I liked the idea of it (and for the most part stuck with it) I think I like the idea of setting goals a little more.

When it comes time to set goals for myself I like to reflect on the past year and figure out what went well, what didn’t work, and what I can improve on. I always try to set goals that are realistic and that are attainable in 365 days. So today I wanted to share both my personal and professional goals for 2018 with you in hopes that it will hold me accountable (and can give you ideas incase you’re still setting goals!) P.S. You can see my 2017 highlights HERE.

personal goals

MEAL PLAN & EAT HEALTHIER | Nick and I sometimes have differing schedules, so we fly by the seat of our pants when it comes to dinner some nights. I feel like we go to the grocery store almost daily and it’s both inconvenient & costly. This year we both want to get better about planning our weekly meals and eat healthier. I’ll be honest, I’m not the healthiest eater- and it’s not going to come easy for me – but it’s something I need to work on this year.

SAVE MORE MONEY | Pretty self-explanatory! Now that we’re married we’ve been talking about buying a house (at some point…) so saving as much as we can will help us get that much closer.

BE MORE PRESENT | Working in an industry that revolves around social media, it’s easy to be glued to my phone a lot. Is it 100% necessary all the time? NO. Do I scroll aimlessly a lot? YES. Am I going to get better about that? DEFINITELY. This year I plan to spend more time being present and less time on my phone. And that means less aimless scrolling.

TRAVEL | I love traveling, even if it’s quick weekend road trips. I love experiencing new places with people and this year I plan to do more of that. Whether it’s a trip to the mountains or the beach or a big trip somewhere new, I plan to travel more this year.

READ 40 BOOKS | In yesterday’s post I touched on this a bit. I absolutely love getting lost in a good book (and sharing them with you!) and this year I plan to read 40 books. You can see past book reviews HERE.

GO TO SLEEP EARLIER | I would love to have a better sleep schedule this year. I hate feeling sluggish during the day because I stayed up too late (probably scrolling on my phone) and I plan to go to bed earlier. I also plan to read before bed more consistently because that always makes me sleepy.

professional goals

GET MORE ORGANIZED | I’m one of those people that tries to be organized, but then something happens and everything becomes “organized” chaos haha (just being honest). This year I plan on being WAY more organized with everything from receipts to contracts and everything in between. Any advice/tips– send them my way.

GETTING BACK TO MY ROOTS… BEING MORE PERSONAL | The whole reason I started this blog was to document my life, hence the blog name, Life with Emily. I’ll be honest, I stopped sharing a lot because the world wide web can be scary. I’ve had a stalker, I’ve had a few safety scares when I’ve been out and shared things in real time & I’ve had people jump to all sorts of conclusions from things I’ve shared. This year I’m going to attempt to go back to my roots and be a bit more personal. Not going to lie, it’s a bit scary but I love sharing things with y’all and I want to get back to that. I’m still working out logistics of what I want to share and how, but it’s in progress. I do plan on keeping most of my family & friends off for the most part out of respect for them and their life/jobs.

EXPAND MY VERTICALS | Yes, I love clothes & I enjoy sharing them with you, but there’s SO much more that I love too, like reading, podcasts, home decor, and traveling. This year I plan to share more of that.

Anyways, those are most of my goals! Hold me accountable y’all! I would love to hear your goals or resolutions for 2018! XO

1. Brianna wrote:

Love all of these- very thoughtful! Looking forward to following along.

Posted 1.4.18 Reply
  2. yes girl – we got this!

xx,
    Lauren
    Lauren Elyce

Posted 1.4.18 Reply
  3. Taylor Aube wrote:

I can totally get behind the eat healthier and travel more! I love this post girlfriend, 2018 is your year!

Posted 1.4.18 Reply
  4. Eating healthy and saving money-I need these goals too. Great list!!

XOXO
    Cathy

Posted 1.4.18 Reply
  5. McKenna Trahan wrote:

Great ideas girl! Best wishes on the new year!

Posted 1.4.18 Reply
  6. Get more organized, is top of my list. Saving money is also near the top of my list.

Posted 1.4.18 Reply
  7. Love this post. I totally understand the safety factors for public influencers. It is definitely something that I feel should be taking a little more seriously. Best of luck for your upcoming year.

Posted 1.4.18 Reply
  8. Amanda wrote:

I love reading others’ goals at the beginning of the year– you have some good ones! I use apps to help me meal plan (Meal Maker) and create grocery lists (ShopShop) which have both been very helpful. Good luck with your 2018 goals!

Posted 1.4.18 Reply
  9. caleyjaderosenberg wrote:

These are amazing goals Emily, and I am so excited for you! May 2018 be magical!
    I’m excited to read more personal posts from you too x

Posted 1.5.18 Reply
  10. I am also trying to save money this year! I want to do some more renovations on the house 🙂
    xo Jessica

Posted 1.5.18 Reply
  11. This was a lot of fun to read. 🙂 I look forward to reading more about things you love! I probably should’ve made ‘go to bed earlier’ one of my goals, because that’s definitely something I could work on.

Posted 1.7.18 Reply
  12. Sabrina wrote:

I love this! So inspiring!!

Posted 1.8.18 Reply
  13. LuxMommy wrote:

Love these type of posts. Thanks for sharing your thoughts going into 2018!! Happy New Year!

Posted 1.8.18 Reply
  14. These are all amazing goals! I am also going to try to do more meal planning and eating healthier. It’s always on my list of resolutions, and this year I am determined to stick with it!

-Tristan

Posted 1.8.18 Reply

• Happy Saturday, y’all! 💙 The sun is shining & I couldn’t be happier about that ☀️🙌🏻 this bag is a new favorite - I can’t wait until the weather warms up so I can carry it more often! Details here: http://liketk.it/2AFe9 @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKitbag
  • I have this thing for shoes...💙 rounding up 26 shoes that are perfect for spring (and for every budget!) 😍🙌🏻🥿👡click the link in my bio for the post & to shop these shoes! http://liketk.it/2ABFs @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKshoecrush #samedelman #shoesoftheday #shoeobsessed
  • Charleston was showing off while we were there a few weeks ago!🌸 Everything was starting to bloom & the weather was perfect! I took it as an opportunity to break out a few spring finds — this look is on lifewithemilyblog.com today (link in bio to shop) http://liketk.it/2AzLP #LTKshoecrush #LTKitbag #LTKunder100 @liketoknow.it #liketkit #enwexplores
  • A Sunday well spent brings a week of content, right @nick_wilkinson1?! 💙 here’s to hoping this coming week isn’t a stressful or chaotic as last week 😩🙈 hope y’all had a great weekend! We had a relaxing, yet productive weekend - which is always good! Looking forward to starting off the week great! Outfit details: http://liketk.it/2AxS6 #liketkit #enwexplores #explorecharleston #charlestonsc #toyotatraveleatrepeat #chswff
  • Kicking my feet up... it’s the weekend! Woohoo! 🙌🏻Wishing we were back in Charleston but happy for a slow, relaxing weekend! http://liketk.it/2Aw6I #liketkit #toyotatraveleatrepeat #enwexplores #chswff #rav4
  • Afternoon coffee break, anyone?! ☕️ I swear, this whole lose-an-hour-of-sleep thing is really kickin’ my butt! 😴 Anyway, one of my favorite things to do when traveling is to visit local coffee shops! I headed to The Rise this past weekend while in Charleston for an afternoon pick me up and let me tell y’all, the coffee was great & it’s V insta worthy in there 😂 shop this outfit at the link in my bio or w/ @liketoknow.it app http://liketk.it/2Asz4 #liketkit #LTKunder100 #LTKunder50 #toyotatraveleatrepeat