Our Wedding Day | Getting Ready

A few weeks ago I shared some of our wedding day highlights (here is part one and part two), one of which included getting ready with my girls! I absolutely loved getting to spend the morning of our wedding getting ready with the most important women in my life. Today I’m excited to share more photos and give a run down of our morning/afternoon before the ceremony started! I’ll be back next Wednesday to share the details of our ceremony (I can’t wait!) I’m listing all vendors & wedding details are linked at the bottom of this post 🙂

P.S. There are a lot of photos! Sorry, it’s so hard to narrow down favorites when you love them all!!

I stayed in our “Ready or Knot” suite on Friday night after our rehearsal dinner/welcome party with one of my bridesmaids Kate. It was so nice to be able to come back to the suite & wind down with a friend (plus it helped to ease my nerves!) My bridesmaids had helped me unload and unpack everything on Friday afternoon, so when we woke up on Saturday morning there was nothing left to do except celebrate the day. I really wanted to be fully present and soak in every single moment of the day, so that morning I actually gave my phone to one of my bridesmaids and hardly looked at it all day (I highly suggest doing this if you’re a bride-to-be!)

When my the rest of my bridesmaids, mom/stepmom, & MIL arrived in the suite on Saturday morning we opened presents & had a little bit of downtime before the hair & makeup team arrived. I had everyone arrive about an hour before H&MU so that no one felt rushed & we could hang out before the craziness began. I gifted my bridesmaids the GiGi New York All in One clutch & robes from Plum Pretty Sugar.

gigi-new-york-all-in-one-clutch

GETTING READY WITH HAIR & MAKEUP

Once the hair & makeup team from Carla White Beauty arrived things got a bit chaotic… it was officially game time! Carla White Beauty knows her stuff y’all- she had us all on a schedule so that we were all getting hair/makeup done at different times & in a timely manner. This is when I was glad that we had a really large suite because we never felt cramped or in the way! Our suite had huge windows, so all the makeup and hair was done by those. Carla was the first and only person I considered for hair & makeup in my area. As soon as I met her we clicked and I absolutely loved her style of classic beauty. Plus she’s so darn funny! I had the best time with her at my trial and on our wedding day! My one request was that I still looked and felt like myself & she totally achieved that!

wedding-day-hair-and-makeup-greensboro
wedding-day-hair-and-makeup-greensboro
wedding-day-hair-and-makeup-greensboro

EXCHANGING NOTES & GIFTS WITH NICK

I shared a lot about this in my wedding highlights post, but I couldn’t help but share it again because it was such a sweet moment for both of us. When we first started planning our wedding I really wanted to have a first look. To be honest, I was really worried that I would be a mess that day & my nerves would be out of control. To me, doing a “first look” with Nick would ease those nerves. He and I had a really long conversation about it and that’s when he voiced that he didn’t want a first look. I took a bit to think on it & ended up agreeing with him. His reasoning made sense and looking back I’m really glad we chose not to do a first look because it made the moment when we *did* see each other so much more special.

Anyways, we chose to exchange notes and gifts before the ceremony and I’m glad we did that because reading his note(s) was so special and I love that I’m able to keep those notes & read them forever. My bridesmaid, Jenn, did the exchanging of the notes/gifts and she reported back with all the details of what they were doing 6 floors above us haha! I’ll also note that she’s a huge crier and her crying made me cry at least four times throughout the day 😉 I got him a watch he had been wanting for his wedding present & he gave me a David Yurman ring!

plum-pretty-sugar-bridesmaid-robeNick also gave his mom, my mom and my stepmom a letter and as we read them together we were all in tears. I’m so glad Carla was still there after reading the notes because quite a few of us needed touch ups haha! After a few touch-ups it was time for everyone to get dressed & head to our ceremony venue.  plum-pretty-sugar-bridesmaid-robesplum-pretty-sugar-bridesmaid-robes

WHITE ROBE | BRIDESMAID’S ROBES

GETTING DRESSED  & A FEW PORTRAITS IN OUR SUITE

Once it was time to get dressed, it really made everything feel “real.” I don’t think I could wipe the smile off my face if I tried as I stepped into my dress. It was such an intimate moment having my mom & sister helping me get my dress on and it’s one I will never forget. My bridesmaids got dressed on the other side of the room behind a curtain, so everything would be a surprise.

This photo below was taken moments before I got dressed and I think it captures all of the emotions I was feeling at the time. As a bride, the day can be a bit overwhelming. I was overwhelmed, excited, nervous, happy, ready, and grateful all at once. I was soaking in every moment with the most special women in my life before I became a Mrs. It’s a lot to take in and I tried my best to remember it all in that moment. wedding-day-photoswatters-azalea-wedding-dressPutting on my dress with my mom and sister was one of my favorite moments from the morning. My mom, sister, and I have been through a lot- but it’s always been the three of us at the end of the day. We’re a team and are always ready to help each other out, so this was something I was excited to have my mom & sister do with me. It was all very surreal to say the least. My sister definitely came in handy because my mom didn’t have her glasses close by and my buttons required a crochet pick to secure them. My sister was so focused and really helped with the process ha! I can say it was definitely a team effort.

My something old was my grandmother’s earrings (see full post here). It was really special to be able to wear those and feel her “with” me throughout the day. My something new was my wedding dress & wedding shoes. My mom, stepmom, sister, MIL, and MOH were with me when I said yes to the dress. My best friends (who lived in other states) helped me select my wedding shoes! My something borrowed was a handkerchief from my dad (that I borrowed during our first look!) My something blue was a David Yurman bracelet that Nick gifted me when I was 18. It was his first “big” gift to me and I have rarely taken it off since I received it. It’s always held a special meaning, so I knew it was what I wanted to be my something blue on the day I married him.
watters-azalea-wedding-dress
emerald-cut-engagement-ring
wedding-dress-details-watters-azaleastuart-weitzman-wedding-shoesstuart-weitzman-memoir-heelswedding-dresses-5000
wedding-dress-ideas
wedding-dress-details
Emily-helm-wilkinson-weddingwedding-day-life-with-emily-wedding-dress

FIRST LOOK WITH MY BRIDESMAIDS

Seeing all of my bridesmaids for the first time was so exciting! I loved seeing the girls in their dresses and seeing how they decided to style them. Only two of my bridesmaids had seen me in my dress (the others had only seen it in photos or on FaceTime!) so it was such a fun and emotional moment! My bridesmaids wore a convertible dress from Wtoo by Watters and they all loved it! Seeing their reactions was so great- every time I see these photos I well up with tears because they were so cute! Jenn 100% won the best reaction award haha!bridesmaids-first-look-wedding-daybridesmaids-first-look-wedding-daybridesmaids-first-look-weddingbridesmaids-first-look

PHOTOS WITH MY BRIDESMAIDS

After I did my first look(s) with my dad and stepdad it was time to take photos with my bridesmaids! I’ve already ordered a few of these & can’t wait to frame them! P.S. I just have to brag on my bridesmaids- they were the absolute BEST all day long. They helped me with my dress (especially when a bathroom trip was in order haha!), they constantly made sure I had everything I needed and they kept me laughing all day long. I love this pic my photographer got of us as we made our way down to take photos!

Emily-helm-wedding
life-with-emily-wedding
Emily-helm-wedding
Emily-helm-wedding1
slate-bridesmaid-dresses
Emily-helm-wedding
Emily-helm-wedding
neutral-wedding-floral-ideaswatters-azalea-wedding-dressbridal-portrait-idea
wedding-day-makeup
neutral-floral-idea-wedding

NICK GETTING READY WITH HIS GROOMSMEN

It’s so funny looking back on these photos because I had no idea what they were up to prior to the ceremony (other than having fun!) The guy’s day was obviously a lot less crazy than the girl’s. They were able to all grab lunch, relax, and have a few drinks together before their day really “started!” All of his groomsmen are hilarious & I couldn’t stop laughing when we got our photos back. Naturally none of those photos made it to the blog haha!

Nick got his groomsmen personalized flasks & had their favorite liquor to go along with it! He also gifted them all of their ties for the big day. Fun fact: When the first one of Nick’s best friends got married they all decided to buy a J.Crew tux instead of rent one. Totally genius idea because the only decisions they have to make is if they want to wear suspenders or not & if they want to wear a tie or bowtie. They’ve worn those tuxes for four of their weddings now! If only girls could be that easy, right?!

groomsmen-gift-idea-flask
the-tie-bar-wedding
guys-photos-weddingGreensboro-wedding proximity-hotel-wedding

VENDORS & WEDDING INFO:

WEDDING DRESS: WATTERS AZALEA DRESS | EARRINGS: GRANDMOTHER’S | SHOES: STUART WEITZMAN | WHITE ROBE: PLUM PRETTY SUGAR c/o | BRIDESMAID’S ROBES: PLUM PRETTY SUGAR | BRIDESMAID DRESSES: WTOO BY WATTERS | BRIDE & GROOM CARDS: MARRYGRAMS | GROOM’S & GROOMSMEN TUXES: J.CREW | GROOM’S & GROOMSMEN’S TIES: THE TIE BAR: | VENUE: PROXIMITY HOTEL | CATERING: PRINT WORKS BISTRO | PHOTOGRAPHY: ALEXA’S PHOTOGRAPHY | EVENT PLANNING: CARLY MARIE EVENTS | FLORAL: ABBA DESIGN | VIDEOGRAPHY: WHITEWASH FILMS | HAIR & MAKEUP: CARLA WHITE BEAUTY | BRIDESMAID’S GIFTS: GIGI NEW YORK | GROOMSMEN’S GIFTS: GRAPHIC IMAGE | PERSONALIZED GIFT TAGS: IF IT’S PAPER

1. Natali wrote:

AWWW… Such a sweet and touching photos!! You looked magical in your wedding dress!

Posted 1.31.18 Reply
  2. Brianna Rooney wrote:

looove all of these photos! My favorite moment from my sister’s wedding was my mom and I helping her get dressed and then revealing her to the rest of the bridesmaids. Those will be photos to look back on forever (I know as the younger sister, it was such a special moment!)

Posted 1.31.18 Reply
  3. Laura wrote:

Such stunning photos! I love all the photos with your bridesmaid, you all look beautiful. These photos are perfect to have all the memories!

Posted 1.31.18 Reply
  4. Cathy wrote:

How fun! Your wedding looks beautiful, I love your dress!!

XOXO
    Cathy

Posted 1.31.18 Reply
  5. lydia wrote:

This is such a sweet post, Emily! I seriously loved reading all the details and seeing all the amazing photos, From this post you can just tell how amazing it all was! And you seriously looked beyond gorgeous girl.

xo, Lydia

Posted 1.31.18 Reply
  6. Maggie wrote:

How pretty are these pictures?! I am still obsessed with your dress, so I’m glad I get to see some of the pretty details!

Posted 1.31.18 Reply
  7. Another great set of photo. The bridesmaids and the groomsmen look wonderful. And I love your lashes.

Posted 1.31.18 Reply
  8. These are such beautiful photos! You will cherish these forever

Posted 1.31.18 Reply
  9. Simply BREATHTAKING!!!!! WOW!! I am loving these photos! Perfect photographer choice. What a magical day!!

Posted 1.31.18 Reply
  10. kileen wrote:

I loveee these photos. They are all so stunning and such beautiful moments captured!

Kileen
    cute & little

Posted 2.1.18 Reply
  11. roxyturtle wrote:

Aww, I just adore the photo of your bridesmaids’ first looks! What a great moment shared among friends.

Posted 2.1.18 Reply
  12. Never apologize for lots of photos!! I literally want to pin every single one of your dress .. I’m so obsessed!!

-Morgan

Posted 2.1.18 Reply
  13. hannahcstark wrote:

Oh my goodness they photos!! They are so beautiful and something you will cherish for the rest of your life:) I am obsessing over your beautiful dress! The wedding looked absolutely stunning!

xoxo, Hannah

Posted 2.2.18 Reply
  14. For my wedding, we rented a huge estate on the water in Florida. So my wedding party stayed on location with us. It made getting ready a lot of fun to have my bridesmaids staying in the rooms on the same property.

Posted 2.5.18 Reply

What a beautiful wedding! You were a stunning bride! Congrats!

Posted 2.5.18 Reply
  16. Shira wrote:

These photos are incredible and your dress was stunning!

Posted 2.5.18 Reply
  17. Kelsey wrote:

Looks like such an incredibly beautiful wedding!! You dress was absolutely gorgeous! xo

Posted 2.5.18 Reply

This post honestly sent goosebumps down my arms because it had me anticipating my big day all the more! I seriously ate this up and read every word with sheer excitement pulsing through my veins. You looked absolutely stunning, and I’m so glad you have all these beautiful memories photographed!

Posted 2.5.18 Reply
  19. Laura wrote:

I just love all your wedding photos!! Thank you for sharing so much of your special day with all of us!

xo, Laura

Posted 2.6.18 Reply
  20. Lauren wrote:

Such a beautiful wedding day! Your wedding was absolutely stunning! I seriously die every time you post something wedding-related.
    xx
    Lauren

Posted 2.7.18 Reply
  21. Britt Whit wrote:

wow these photos! your dress is so stunning hun! It looks like it was a very special day with amazing family and friends!

love,
    Britt+Whit

Posted 2.7.18 Reply
  22. Steph wrote:

Oh my goodness what an absolutely beautiful day! Thanks so much for sharing.

xo,
    Steph

Posted 2.7.18 Reply
  23. Carolyna Bauer wrote:

I really enjoyed reading this. I am getting married soon so I love seeing all the beautiful things you did. Congrats to both of you! XOXO,
    Carolyna
    @carolynabauer // carolynabauer.com

Posted 2.12.18 Reply

• A little mid-week floral happiness for ya! 🌸 hows everyone doing this week? I’m having a pretty good week so far - sharing a few things I’m thankful for this week:
• a loving, supportive husband! I haven’t been out of the house in 2+ weeks & he’s made sure I have everything I need!
• neighborhood walks, they’re good for the soul & a great way to recharge.
• a great support system near & far keeping me encouraged!
• the ability to catch up with friends! 👩🏼‍💻Had a great zoom call with my #bloggersdotravel girls @mystylevita @glitterandgingham @kristinchambless & @poorlittleitgirl today!
• my endless pile of books that I want to read! 📚I’ve enjoyed unplugging and reading every day. #booksconnectus

share what you’re thankful for this week! 💙 http://liketk.it/2Mlh5 #liketkit #LTKhome #floralarrangement
  • 24 weeks with our baby boy🤰🏼💙 it’s crazy to think we get to meet him in just 16 weeks, it feels like this pregnancy has flown by! 👶🏻I feel grateful that I have had a healthy & happy pregnancy but, to be honest, the last few weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions. As a first time mom, I have these feelings of immense sadness as the last half of this pregnancy is going to be nothing like I had envisioned. There have been a lot of tears over the fact that many exciting moments can no longer be shared with those closest to us. I know others have it much, much worse but I’ve learned it’s ok to be sad & to feel these emotions. I’m upset that I am no longer able to have a baby shower to celebrate our first born, I’m sad I don’t get to hug our family and watch their faces as they see my growing bump. I’m upset that these last few months of just the two of us look completely different - more time spent in our house quarantined and less time having date nights at our favorite spots and doing the things we want before baby arrives. I mourn the fact that our families may not get to meet our baby boy in the hospital the way we always talked about. But with any situation, I have cried it out (a lot) and decided to take it one day at a time and to find joy in each day💙 And ya know what? There’s a lot of joy amidst the chaos. It brings me so much joy to feel his daily movement (and my heart nearly burst when Nick felt him kick for the first time).🥰I am overjoyed that we have such a strong support system near and far. I love that we get to spend more time at home spoiling our fur babies. I find solace knowing that there are so many pregnant mamas out there feeling these exact emotions & we share a common experience and bond! I am grateful for those that are on the front lines caring for everyone. I know we have the best doctors carrying us through this uncertain time. We are strong mamas and we will get through this! 💕 so, I challenge you to find the join in each day no matter your situation! #24weekspregnant #24weeks #pregnancy #2ndtrimester #stylethebump #bumpstyle #pregnant #pregnantduringcovid19 #pregnantblogger #thebump #boymom #expecting #expectingmom
  • Thinking back on a time when I got dressed (in something other than leggings) & was able to leave my house 💙🙈🤣 Anyone else going a bit stir crazy?! 🏡 I think I’m going to put on this @sailtosable dress on Friday & have an in-house date night to feel a lil fancy! 😊 shop this look here + linking a few of their dresses that are on sale! http://liketk.it/2M21a @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKspring #sailtosable #sailtosablepartner
  • Anyone else been reading more lately? 📚 Reading is my favorite form of self-care & now more than ever I'm leaning on books during this stressful time we're in. 🤓Reading before bed lets me unwind and relax! I'm teaming up with @penguinrandomhouse to challenge you to read 10-30 minutes before bed as part of their #ReadtoSleep campaign! March is National Sleep Awareness month so put your phone down & pick up a book for the next few weeks and give yourself a much needed break! 💙 [ad]

p.s. they have a great giveaway going on with @parachutehome where you can win 25 books of your choice (OMG!) and a cozy bedding set from Parachute! Find out how to enter on my stories!

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. US Residents, 18+. Enter ‪between 1/15/20 and 3/31/20‬. See Official Rules at ‪bit.ly/2sgzc6U‬
  • How’s everyone doing? 💙 I’m taking it one day (heck, sometimes one hour!) at a time this week!

Here are a few things I’m grateful for:
• Getting to check on our baby boy👶🏻& hear his heartbeat today!
• That I am able to work from home & have some sense of normalcy through all of this👩🏼‍💻.
• Those who are working & caring for others (including doctors, nurses, delivery drivers, those who work at grocery stores & restaurants handling takeout).
• Having this community to chat with through the good & bad days! It’s been so nice connecting with all of you via DM (especially those who are pregnant or new moms!) as we juggle this new “normal.”
Shop today’s casual outfit here or at the link in my bio http://liketk.it/2LMWs @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKbump #LTKunder100 #bumpstyle #stylethebump #ingridandisabel #everydaymadewell #pregnantblogger #pregnancy #expectingmom #boymom #secondtrimester #2ndtrimester #momtobe #22weekspregnant
  • Hi friends 👋🏻It’s a new week & I’m going into it with a positive attitude (that’s all we can hope for at this point, right?) 💙I’m social distancing & self quarantining in an effort to “flatten the curve.” We spent the weekend going on walks with our pup🐶, getting in a lot of reading📚, binging Love is Blind📺 and cooking some of our favorite meals🍽! We’re trying to remain positive & do the best we can to protect ourselves and others 😊 p.s. I am *loving* this dress (wearing XS) & it’s bump approved - swipe to see a pic of my #22weekspregnant bump! http://liketk.it/2LDxv @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKspring #LTKbump #bumpstyle #stylethebump #pregnantblogger #22weeks #expectingmom #babyontheway #2ndtrimester #bumpfriendly