Five on Friday vol. 1 – hurricane Florence, prepping for fall & more

Hey y’all! Sorry I’ve been a bit MIA this week – between prepping for Hurricane Florence to the tragedy of a friend passing away unexpectedly and a few things in between, it’s been quite a chaotic, emotional week! Today I wanted to share five (random!) things with y’all! I hope y’all have a great weekend. We’ve got our “hurricane snacks” ready and are prepped for the rain and wind that’s upon us.

1. HURRICANE FLORENCE | It feels like just yesterday that friends and family were dealing with the after effects of Hurricane Harvey in Texas. There was devastation, a lot of damage, and plenty of work in those days, weeks and months after the hurricane. This time around, Hurricane Florence has NC and SC battening down the hatches for the next few days as it takes it’s toll on our state(s). This whole week has consisted of scrambling to prepare for the impending storm. Here in Greensboro we’re supposed to get a lot of rain, flooding, and possible power outages – which is nothing compared to how some will fare.  My sister goes to UNC Wilmington, so she headed home for the week after they cancelled classes Monday morning. My SILs both live in Wilmington – one has evacuated and the other works for the hospital so she’s on “storm duty” there until further notice. My parents have a beach house in SC one block from the ocean, so they’ve attempted to prepare as much as they can but it’s still scary not really knowing what will happen to it… It’s been pretty crazy to watch the news, see coverage from other hurricanes over the years, and attempt to prep for something that you’re not sure about. I’m thinking of those in Florence’s path and am praying for minimal damage and destruction! My friend Zelle lives in Wilmington and did a post on the hurricane as a local and I think she worded it both honestly and beautifully. You can read her full post here.

2. PREPPING FOR FALL | It’s mid-September and up until earlier this week it has still be miserably hot! The impending storm has brought some cooler temperatures, so I’ve taken advantage of being able to wear jeans out ha! I got a few good things for fall recently, so I’m sharing those below!

3. FALL RECIPES | When it comes to seasonal cooking, fall might just be my favorite! I love breaking out the crockpot, eating those good, hearty meals, and of course making delicious game day apps! A few of our go-to game day apps include buffalo chicken dip, sausage dip, sausage balls & potato skins. We would love any new app ideas or even fall dinner meals for when we feel like we’re in a rut!

4. CURRENTLY READING | I am about halfway through with Mary Kubica’s newest book When the Lights Go Out and while I’m enjoying it, it hasn’t been my favorite of hers that I’ve read. It’s taken a bit for the back story and to piece some things together, but just as it was really picking up last night I put it away so I could get some sleep haha! Otherwise I would have probably stayed up all night reading it. Up next I’m going to read Christina Lauren’s newest book Josh & Hazel’s Guide to Not Dating. Both of these books are part of BookSpark’s Fall Reading Challenge, which I’m a part of, so I’m excited to share some of fall’s most anticipated books with you this season.

5. Q&A WITH FRIENDLY SHOPPING CENTER | I’m so excited to be working with our main shopping center in Greensboro this fall! It’s a place where I have shopped since moving to Greensboro and have many memories there over the years. I was excited when Sarah, their marketing director, wanted to do a Q&A video for part of our collaboration! While I’m still new to Youtube (go easy on me haha!) I really enjoyed working on this!

1. Lee wrote:

I hope you stay safe in the storm!!
    I love the clothing pieces you picked up for fall; and I need to read when the lights go out!
    Lee

Posted 9.14.18 Reply
  2. Brittany S wrote:

Please stay safe in the storm!!!! Sending thoughts and prayers your way. Fall recipes are the best!!!

Brittany,

Posted 9.14.18 Reply
  3. Nailil wrote:

I need to add that book to my list! And fall recipes are a must. I spend so much time at home in the fall that fun recipes are great to have at had.

Xx, Nailil

Posted 9.15.18 Reply
  4. kileen wrote:

So sorry for your loss, and I hope you stay safe!! I love the Fall pieces you’ve listed, makes me so excited!! I love Fall fashion.

Kileen

Posted 9.15.18 Reply
  5. adriana wrote:

Oh goodness please stay safe! I hope all is well with you there!!

Posted 9.16.18 Reply

So sorry for your loss! And please stay safe! Sending you lots of prayers <3

Posted 9.17.18 Reply
  7. Ruth Ridley wrote:

I hope you guys are safe with this hurricane! I always admire how much you read! I think it is incredible!

Posted 9.17.18 Reply
  8. How is everything after the storm?? I’ve been thinking of you!

Posted 9.18.18 Reply
  9. blushandblooms wrote:

Hope everyone is safe after the hurricane! I can’t stop thinking about everyone in the Carolina’s!

Posted 9.18.18 Reply

• muted 🖤 taking today to listen, learn & educate myself. Let the voices of others be heard. #blackouttuesday
  • I see you. I hear you & I understand that I will never fully understand. I don’t always have the words or know when to say them, but one thing I do know is that I can’t be silent. We can all do better. We can open our eyes to the injustice, we can open our ears and listen in silence & we can open our mouths and be a voice💙
I have been heartbroken as I read the news stories, watched the videos & tried to take in everything that is happening in our country. While I may not know how it feels, I do know that I can make the choice to use my platform to speak up. I hope more people use their platform to speak up, even if they can’t find the right words. Here are some actionable things you can do (that I have done & encourage you do to as well) to make a small change today. Let’s all work to be better & a little more kind.✊🏻✊🏽✊🏾
•Continue to educate myself & those around me. (@theconsciouskid & @ckyourprivilege are great starting points on here). I plan on adding these books to my shelf.
-White Fragility by Robin Diangelo
-Me & White Supremacy by Layla Saad
-How We Fight For Our Lives by Saeed Jones
-How to Be an Anti-Racist by Ibram Kendi
•Lend a voice to those who need it
•Challenge myself to be uncomfortable
•Text Floyd to 55156
•Donate to organizations who are already doing the work
  • I’ll take all things bright & colorful, please! 💕 daydreaming about the day when I have somewhere to go so I can wear these pieces! 🙌🏻 sharing this roundup of spring finds today on lifewithemilyblog.com OR you can shop it at the link in bio + @liketoknow.it app http://liketk.it/2PCh6 #liketkit #LTKunder100 #LTKunder50 #LTKspring #springfinds #warmweather #springstyles
  • 3️⃣2️⃣ looks good on you, @nick_wilkinson1! 🎉 happy birthday my love! I love you more than you know! I’m so grateful for the life we have built together & I’m thankful to be by your side through it all. I can’t wait to celebrate another year of you & watch you become a dad in a few short months! 👶🏻 cheers to another year of memories together! 💙#happybirthday #32ndbirthday #birthdayboy
  • Another rainy day ☔️ wishing for warmer days + being able to get dressed up to head out! But instead we’re curled up on the couch and are having a crock pot meal tonight... not mad about it! 💙 This maxi dress is so stunning in person & is so comfortable! Can’t wait to wear it out again! Shop everything here (earrings are $8, dress fits oversized I’m in an XS) http://liketk.it/2PgfP @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKbump #LTKspring  #fpxme #freepeople
  • Anyone else been tinkering with spaces around their house during quarantine?! 🙋🏼‍♀️I know I sure have! I have been using a mix of what I already own & what I have picked up from @kirklands (buy online, curbside pick up is a game changer!) to switch up spaces! 🙌🏻Best part is, I was able to refresh this space using only 4 items all for under $100! It's so easy to change out a few pieces to give a totally different look. [ad] shop everything here: http://liketk.it/2OYgA #LTKhome
#refresh4less #kirklandsinsiders #kirklandsfinds #kirklandshappiness