September 2018 Monthly Recap

Another month has come & gone! Sharing my September recap today. You can see my monthly recaps here!

HIGHLIGHTS
September was a quite the whirlwind month! I feel like I was constantly on-the-go and my to-do list was endless! To be honest, I spent a lot of the month feeling overwhelmed and uninspired – which can be stressful when your job is to create content (especially when it rains daily for most of the month!) All this to say, I think everyone has off days, weeks, or months and – while it may not always appear that way via my blog posts or instagram feed – I go through those phases too.

Anyways, September included a lot of football watching, drinks with friends, dinners with family, two funerals, and some unexpected travel! Our wedding-planner-turned-friend, Carly, planned a styled shoot & Nick and I got to be bride & groom again for the day! They went with a bright, boho theme & turned out beautifully. It was so different from our own wedding, but so gorgeous. I’ve gotta say, I didn’t hate being the bride again especially because this time it was sans the stress of planning haha!

wedding floral ideas
McAlister-Leftwich Greensboro
willowby by Watters thistle dress
willowby by Watters thistle dress
photos by Megan Travis Photography | Planning by Carly Marie Events | Venue at McAlister-Leftwich House | Dress is Willowby by Watters “Thistle”

Between Hurricane Florence hitting North Carolina to a friend passing away tragically, I’m happy to move on to a fresh, new month! Speaking of, I can’t believe it’s already October… our anniversary month! AH! Does anyone else think this year has totally flown by?

HOME
Our office is pretty much done… for now! We now have a desk, bookcase, and a console table in our home office! We still have a few items like a new desk chair, rug & some decor that we need for the space, but it’s functional and I’m SO happy about it! There’s nothing better than having a designated space to work (that’s not cluttered ha!)BOOKS I READ THIS MONTH
There were so many good reads this month! You can see them in my September Reading List. If you’re looking for a suspense thriller then check out The Other Woman. If you want a “feel good” romance check out Josh & Hazel’s Guide to Not Dating. Both were great reads! I’m really looking forward to my October reads… a few of my favorite authors are releasing new books this month. WHAT I PURCHASED
The pre-fall sales 100% got me this month. Between Loft, Shopbop & Abercrombie I am now fully stocked for fall!
My favorite pair of denim
A chic vegan leather jacket
A new classic chambray top
My go-to flats for fall
A pair of cap-toe block heels
A new pair of my fav BF jeans

FITNESS
I mentioned last month that I stopped BBG. BBG seems to work differently depending on body type and I figured out it just wasn’t meant for mine ha! Even though I was getting stronger, I was gaining in areas I didn’t want (thighs and arms) and felt the program was “bulking” me up a bit. Since then I have been doing more exercises focusing on toning and adding in more cardio.

FAVORITE POSTS I READ THIS MONTH
Why You Should Vote & How to Register | This post has everything you need to know about voting. It’s more important than ever to make sure you are registered to vote – and better yet – to actually get out there and VOTE. You can’t complain if you aren’t participating.
Tips for International Travel | Lots of great tips from Jess about traveling smart, safe & efficiently.
Five Ways to Switch Up Your Fitness Routine | In a rut? Switch it up! Great ways to switch up your routine in Lauren’s post.
Feeling “Ready” to Have a Baby | I really related to this post & enjoyed hearing someone else’s point of view on being “ready” for a baby! How did you know that you were ready to start trying?

CURRENT FAVORITES ON REPEAT

• BEAUTY: This Vitamin C serum and this Retinol serum. I just started using them about a week ago – but so far, so good!
  • CLOTHING: This soft tee & these jeans! Both have been my go-to items recently.
  • TV SHOWS: Fall TV is back and I’m so happy about it! This is Us is back (cue all the tears) and Below Deck came back this week!
  • PODCAST: I haven’t listened to Podcasts as often since I’ve been listening to my audiobooks, but I’m still listening to In the Dark on occasion & I want to start Dr. Death! Has anyone listened to that? It’s the newest podcast by the same producer of Dirty John.
  • AUDIOBOOK: Hidden Bodies – this is the second book in the You series (the new TV show!) and I’m really enjoying it on audiobook. The narrator is amazing & super creepy.
  • CURRENTLY READING: I just finished Cross Her Heart (from Book of the Month) and I *think* I may start The Tattooist of Auschwitz next but I’m not 100% sure! I’ve had it on my list since I first heard about it.

1. Rach DiMare wrote:

How fun is that shoot with your husband! I had to stop BBG too because it was actually awful for my knees!

Posted 10.3.18 Reply
  2. Cathy wrote:

You found some fabulous fall items! I need to check out those sales. I also need to check out those books, it’s time for some new reading material!!

XOXO
    Cathy

Posted 10.3.18 Reply
  3. Rebecca wrote:

Oh my gosh that wedding shoot!!! Gorgeous! Sounds like a great month <3

xx Rebecca

Posted 10.3.18 Reply
  4. Kim wrote:

Your styled shoot pictures turned out stunning! So fun to be able to play bride and groom again around your year anniversary!

xoxo,
    Kim

Posted 10.3.18 Reply
  5. Adaleta Avdić wrote:

This is such a great series! I will have to check out some of the books that you read.

Posted 10.4.18 Reply
  6. The last 2 books sound great, I’ve had the The Tattooist of Auschwitz on my reading list as well! You got so many great pieces for fall, I love shopping sales!

Posted 10.4.18 Reply
  7. You and Nick look so cute in that styled shoot! How fun to get “married” again! I always love your reading lists- I’ve loved every book you’ve reccomended! So sorry that September had such sadness for you- praying that October brings you a little more happy!

Posted 10.4.18 Reply
  8. Juliana Hidelfonso wrote:

Do you have a tour of the home office, this is a part of the house we are always looking for inspiration.

Posted 10.4.18 Reply
    • Emily wrote:

Hi Juliana,

I don’t have a tour of the office quite yet! We just got the furniture two weeks and & there are still some items we need! Once everything is put together I’ll have one up!

Thanks for commenting & have a great day!

Xx,
      Emily

Posted 10.4.18 Reply
  9. Laura wrote:

How fun that you got to play bride and groom again! I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. I actually had to stop BBG a while ago but have picked dit back up again now that I’ve had wrist surgery and given myself the time I needed to heal.

xo, Laura

Posted 10.4.18 Reply
  10. Kelsey wrote:

I’m watching You and definitely want to ready the book!! I didn’t know there was a second one too! Cant wait!

Posted 10.4.18 Reply
  11. Court wrote:

Girl, Dr. Death was so much better than Dirty John and I really liked DJ. I cannot wait for it to air! I am also really enjoying the new season of Below Deck.

Posted 10.5.18 Reply
  12. Jamaria Johnson wrote:

Love this monthly recap blog post idea! This photo shoot with your husband was absolutely beautiful. I’d love to do a wedding shoot with my hubby again. Omg I’m so excited This Is Us is back on tv too! Love fall shows! Xo

Posted 10.8.18 Reply

• Happy Valentine’s Day, my love! I’ll take any excuse I can get to celebrate you & our love! Lucky to call you mine today and everyday 💙 I hope y’all have a great day celebrating those you love, no matter if it’s friends, family or your significant other! -
Photo: @alexastuttsphotography
  • Give me stripes & I’m happy 💙 I can’t even count the amount of striped tops I have in my closet... don’t judge 🙈 I obviously needed to add this utility top to the mix, right?! This one is on sale for $30 right now - shop everything at the link in bio (just click shop my IG!) or with the @liketoknow.it app http://liketk.it/2zUDN #liketkit
  • Muah! 💋💕Valentine’s day is just a few days away, what are your plans?! We typically keep it low-key for Valentine’s Day!
Today I’m sharing unique, inexpensive date night ideas plus a few gift ideas for the one you love with @babbleboxxofficial! I’m obsessed with these fun ❤️ sunglasses from @zennioptical, perfect for V-Day! Shop everything else here: http://liketk.it/2zRfU @liketoknow.it #liketkit #lovemyzennis #lovebabbleboxx #525america #valentinesday #vday #dgso
  • All plans are canceled until further notice! (📚💌!) I just got Two Can Keep a Secret in the mail & am so excited to read it (I read One of Us is Lying last year and loved it!) If you're looking for a good suspense book, this is it! @getunderlined #partner #ad p.s. I have a new blog post up on my site (link in bio) today - the 50 new releases I'm looking forward to reading in 2019! #enwreads
http://liketk.it/2zLU6 #liketkit
  • All smiles because it was 65° today & we grabbed dinner on the patio at one of our fav spots! 🙌🏻☀️I’m loving this spring-like weather!
This outfit is filled with closet basics & I’m not mad about it! Get all details at the link in my bio (just click->shop my instagram) or with @liketoknow.it app. *sizing: jacket runs big - size down, sneakers run big - size down 1/2 size!* http://liketk.it/2zJoW @liketoknow.it #liketkit #everydaymadewell #madewellnc
  • When it comes to traveling, whether by ✈️ or on a 🚙 trip, I prefer to be comfortable (while still looking a bit pulled together!)

today I’m sharing a recent travel outfit and chatting all about these comfortable, function pieces including these @wearkizik pop-on sneakers! 💙 head to the link in bio for the post and shop everything here: http://liketk.it/2zDCZ #liketkit @liketoknow.it #wearkizik #traveloutfit #ltkfit #ootd #athleisure #whatimwearing