Five on Friday vol. 4 – holiday traditions, 2019 goals, wish list & more!

Happy Friday, friends! This is my last Friday post of 2018 so I thought it would be fun to do a Five on Friday post, Q&A style! I rounded up five fun questions that readers submitted on instagram stories to answer today! I hope y’all have a great weekend – we are finishing up shopping, doing a few Christmas-y things & getting ready for the holiday next week!

Q: WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR HOLIDAY TRADITIONS?
A:
Nick and I really love the holidays and when we got married we both looked forward to creating traditions together as a family! A few of our holiday traditions include picking a new ornament for our tree each year, making a palette with blankets in the living room and watching Christmas movies, baking homemade cookies & making a big breakfast full of all our favorite foods on Christmas morning! We look forward to these things every year and are looking forward to more traditions once we add to our family!

P.S. We made these ornaments (below) at the end of last year & I really love how sentimental they are. We took our wedding invitation, cut it up into small strips and placed it in this ornament. We tied it with ribbon that we used for our welcome bags! We also have an ornament filled with strips of ribbon that held my bouquet and another one of the paper items from our wedding weekend! If you’re recently married, this is a great way to have your big day part of your decor. If you have a friend who is engaged or recently married this makes a GREAT personal gift for them!

Q: WHAT DO YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH IN 2019?
A: The idea of a brand new year always excites me because I know I can start from scratch and improve, go on new adventures, and accomplish new things! I don’t typically make resolutions because I think they’re confining and always get broken (just being honest ha!) But this year I hope to accomplish a few things….

Work out more consistently & watch what I eat.
Save more, spend less.
Be more present & spend less time on my phone.
Read. Read. Read.
Make more memories.
Travel more.
Get organized…and stay organized!
Get rid of the stuff I don’t need. Don’t consume as much.

Q: WHAT ARE YOU ASKING FOR THIS YEAR FOR CHRISTMAS?
A: To be completely honest, I hate asking for things for Christmas and never really know what to ask for each year. I feel fortunate that I have everything I “need” and mostly everything that I “want.” I know that’s not the case for everyone, so I always feel uncomfortable asking for things. The older I’ve gotten the more I have realized this. If I need something, I make sure I am able to get it. If I want something I either buy it or save up for it. With that said, our parents badgered us until we gave them a list, so here are a few things that were on it (and yes, almost all of them make us feel old because they’re SO practical haha!). A Roomba, the Philips Wake-Up Light Alarm, Lulu Frost Code Rings, and a small Crockpot for dips!

Q: HOW MANY BOOKS HAVE YOU READ IN 2018? WHICH ONE WAS YOUR FAVORITE OF THE YEAR?!
A: I have read 98 so far, but I’m hoping to get over 100 by the end of the year! This has been a big reading year for me. I never thought I would read 100 books in a calendar year, but here we are haha! Asking my favorite book is like asking a mom which child is their favorite – it’s RUDE! Just kidding, but that is a tough question and one I can’t answer just yet! In the new year I plan on doing a post with my favorite books that I read in 2018. I’m still mulling over which books will be included in that, so stay tuned!

Q: WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE TRIP OF THE YEAR?
A: Easy, our trip to St. Lucia in May! We had the best time and made amazing memories that will last a lifetime! We’ve talked about going back to the island for our five year anniversary! I’m looking forward to more trips in 2019!

I hope y’all have a great weekend! I’ll be back after Christmas with one last post to close out 2018! Have a wonderful Holiday! Merry Christmas, y’all! XO

1. Danielle wrote:

Absolutely love this idea for a post! Loved learning more about some of your answers 🙂

xx, Danielle

Posted 12.21.18 Reply
  2. Rachel Kennedy wrote:

The clear ornament with the cut-up wedding announcement is so cute! I will have to do that one day!

Posted 12.22.18 Reply
  3. Megan wrote:

Your Christmas tree is so cute. Actually, your entire life is so darn cute.

Posted 12.24.18 Reply
  4. Laura wrote:

Your trip to St Lucia looked like such a great time! I wouldn’t mind going there. It’s hard when you get older and are able to buy things yourself, you realize what you want for Christmas is usually practical.

Posted 12.24.18 Reply

What an amazing post! I can definitely identify with a lot of this!

Posted 12.24.18 Reply
  6. The older we get it’s harder to ask for things when we’re capable of shopping for ourselves. I love the dress you wore in St. Lucia!

Posted 12.24.18 Reply
  7. Laura wrote:

I am so impressed that you’ve read almost 100 books this year! I love all your holiday traditions too. My favorite that we started after we had my son was matching Christmas jammies for Christmas Eve and Christmas morning.

xo, Laura

Posted 12.24.18 Reply
  8. Kelsey wrote:

Ah I hope you got a Roomba for Christmas lol! I got one last year and it’s been THE BEST gift!!! xo

Posted 12.26.18 Reply

This was such a great post to wrap up your holiday season! So many fun memories made and more to enjoy in the coming year. Happy holidays!

Posted 12.26.18 Reply
  10. Nice post, Christmas tree is great. St. Lucia’s pic is cute.

Posted 12.27.18 Reply
  11. I hope to declutter and be more present in 2019 as well. Hope you had the happiest holiday!

Posted 12.27.18 Reply

• Let’s chat BABY REGISTRY! 👶🏻 we are working on finishing up our baby registry & would love to know your “must have” items, any items we should be sure to add AND the items that you registered for but never ended up using! 🙌🏻🤰🏼 let’s help all the moms to be out! http://liketk.it/2MzqD #LTKbaby #LTKbump #babyregistry #dockatot #buybuybaby #monicaandandy
  • We made it to Friday 🙌🏻 I’m having my coffee & getting some work in so I can relax a bit this weekend! The weather here is gorgeous so I’m hoping to get outside this weekend too ☀️😊💙 I’m sharing a roundup of my cozy at home essentials on lifewithemilyblog.com today! Linking everything in the @liketoknow.it app here: http://liketk.it/2Mp9u #liketkit #StayHomeWithLTK #LTKunder100 #LTKhome #24weekspregnant #pregnantblogger #loungewear
  • A little mid-week floral happiness for ya! 🌸 hows everyone doing this week? I’m having a pretty good week so far - sharing a few things I’m thankful for this week:
• a loving, supportive husband! I haven’t been out of the house in 2+ weeks & he’s made sure I have everything I need!
• neighborhood walks, they’re good for the soul & a great way to recharge.
• a great support system near & far keeping me encouraged!
• the ability to catch up with friends! 👩🏼‍💻Had a great zoom call with my #bloggersdotravel girls @mystylevita @glitterandgingham @kristinchambless & @poorlittleitgirl today!
• my endless pile of books that I want to read! 📚I’ve enjoyed unplugging and reading every day. #booksconnectus

share what you’re thankful for this week! 💙 http://liketk.it/2Mlh5 #liketkit #LTKhome #floralarrangement
  • 24 weeks with our baby boy🤰🏼💙 it’s crazy to think we get to meet him in just 16 weeks, it feels like this pregnancy has flown by! 👶🏻I feel grateful that I have had a healthy & happy pregnancy but, to be honest, the last few weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions. As a first time mom, I have these feelings of immense sadness as the last half of this pregnancy is going to be nothing like I had envisioned. There have been a lot of tears over the fact that many exciting moments can no longer be shared with those closest to us. I know others have it much, much worse but I’ve learned it’s ok to be sad & to feel these emotions. I’m upset that I am no longer able to have a baby shower to celebrate our first born, I’m sad I don’t get to hug our family and watch their faces as they see my growing bump. I’m upset that these last few months of just the two of us look completely different - more time spent in our house quarantined and less time having date nights at our favorite spots and doing the things we want before baby arrives. I mourn the fact that our families may not get to meet our baby boy in the hospital the way we always talked about. But with any situation, I have cried it out (a lot) and decided to take it one day at a time and to find joy in each day💙 And ya know what? There’s a lot of joy amidst the chaos. It brings me so much joy to feel his daily movement (and my heart nearly burst when Nick felt him kick for the first time).🥰I am overjoyed that we have such a strong support system near and far. I love that we get to spend more time at home spoiling our fur babies. I find solace knowing that there are so many pregnant mamas out there feeling these exact emotions & we share a common experience and bond! I am grateful for those that are on the front lines caring for everyone. I know we have the best doctors carrying us through this uncertain time. We are strong mamas and we will get through this! 💕 so, I challenge you to find the join in each day no matter your situation! #24weekspregnant #24weeks #pregnancy #2ndtrimester #stylethebump #bumpstyle #pregnant #pregnantduringcovid19 #pregnantblogger #thebump #boymom #expecting #expectingmom
  • Thinking back on a time when I got dressed (in something other than leggings) & was able to leave my house 💙🙈🤣 Anyone else going a bit stir crazy?! 🏡 I think I’m going to put on this @sailtosable dress on Friday & have an in-house date night to feel a lil fancy! 😊 shop this look here + linking a few of their dresses that are on sale! http://liketk.it/2M21a @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKspring #sailtosable #sailtosablepartner
  • Anyone else been reading more lately? 📚 Reading is my favorite form of self-care & now more than ever I'm leaning on books during this stressful time we're in. 🤓Reading before bed lets me unwind and relax! I'm teaming up with @penguinrandomhouse to challenge you to read 10-30 minutes before bed as part of their #ReadtoSleep campaign! March is National Sleep Awareness month so put your phone down & pick up a book for the next few weeks and give yourself a much needed break! 💙 [ad]

p.s. they have a great giveaway going on with @parachutehome where you can win 25 books of your choice (OMG!) and a cozy bedding set from Parachute! Find out how to enter on my stories!

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. US Residents, 18+. Enter ‪between 1/15/20 and 3/31/20‬. See Official Rules at ‪bit.ly/2sgzc6U‬