Five on Friday vol. 8 – 5 Things I Never Travel Without

Spring is in full swing, which means many people are scheduling trips and making plans for the warmer months! While our travel schedule isn’t as packed as it has been in years past, we do have a few trips on the calendar that we’re looking forward to! For today’s Five on Friday post I thought I would share the five items I never travel without!

I tend to be a little OCD when it comes to packing for a trip. I’m the kind of girl who makes a list of every.single.thing I will need and as I add it into my suitcase I check it off. Over the years I have tried my best to narrow down the list, but let’s face it, I will never be the person that can travel for a week in a carry-on ha! No matter if I’m packing for a month long trip or a quick weekend away, there are five items I always bring with me no matter what!

Five items I never travel without

a good travel bag

Over the years I have made the mistake of not carrying a functional bag when traveling.I quickly learned from my mistake and invested in good, functional bags that I can fit all of my essentials in. A few of my favorite brands for travel bags are MZ Wallace and Barrington. MZ Wallace bags are super lightweight, they are completely packable and come in quite a few different styles, sizes, and so many colors. I have the medium metro tote & the backpack and both have served me SO well on trips. I never knew just how heavy other bags were until I carried one by MZ Wallace for traveling. It truly makes a HUGE difference. Barrington bags are completely customizable and are great for travel, too. I love the St. Anne tote (which now comes with a zipper) and the Belmont Travel Bag for weekend trips. Both of these bags hold so much and I like being able to spot my bags thanks to the personalization!

portable charger & 6ft. charging cord

Hotels often have really weird placed outlets and most of the time they aren’t convenient. I always bring my long 6 ft. charger so that I can still access my phone while it’s charging! My phone also notoriously dies SO quickly, so anytime I travel I bring a portable charger with me that way I can charge my phone on the go if I need to! This comes in handy when you’re out exploring all day, too! This is my preferred portable charger because it’s small enough to fit in my bag but holds it’s charge a long time.

my travel steamer

When it comes to packing for a trip I always try to pack as efficiently as possible (with packing cubes, compression bags, etc.), which means that sometimes my clothes end up pretty wrinkled. I swear by my steamer when I’m home and when I travel I bring this travel steamer with me! It’s compact enough to pack in your suitcase, but it’s very powerful and gets alll the wrinkles out!

my kindle paper white & a book

It’s no secret around here that I never go anywhere without a book! Even when I’m traveling and may not have a ton of time to read I still like to bring a book with me. If I’m traveling for an extended period fo time I prefer to bring my Kindle Paperwhite with me  (and maybe a physical book or two!). While I was anti-Kindle for so long, I really enjoy it when traveling and helps keep me from weighing down my carry on or luggage with books. I like to unwind and read before bed, especially when traveling so I make sure I have at least one or two books with me at all times! Swipe to see a few books on my reading list!

a fully stocked cosmetic bag

When it comes to traveling, I swear my toiletries take up more space than anything else. Even if I’m headed on a quick weekend away I make sure my cosmetic bag is filled with everything I will definitely need and a bunch of stuff I might need haha! I can’t tell you how many times I have traveled somewhere and had to pick up an item because I either forgot it or didn’t think I would need it. A few must have items in my cosmetic bag include chapstick, a serum or oil to keep my skin hydrated, all of my medicine (migraine meds, Advil, etc.), tide-to-go pen or shout wipe, fingernail clippers, tweezers, and lotion!

1. Anna English wrote:

I have a Conair hand steamer that I swear by! I need to invest in a portable charger.

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
  2. tanvi wrote:

I can’t read on a kindle but everything else is spot on!

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
    • Emily wrote:

Why can’t you read on a kindle?! Very curious as I’ve never heard anyone say that! 🙂

Posted 3.29.19 Reply

Oh gosh, I’m a list girl too haha! You’re not alone. I love these essentials though!

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
  4. Kim wrote:

I bring all of these items when I travel also! A travel steamer has been a total game changer!

xoxo,
    Kim

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
  5. Mollie wrote:

I’m with you on all of these but the steamer 🙁 They aren’t popular in Europe so I haven’t been able to find an affordable travel one, and my American one blew out on it’s first use!! It’s so strange to me that everyone here still irons!

xx Mollie

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
    • Emily wrote:

Oh no, that’s so frustrating! Sometimes ironing just doesn’t the trick… and it’s SUCH a process haha! Hopefully you’ll find one soon that works over there! Crossing my fingers for you haha! 🙂

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
  6. briana wrote:

Portable chargers are seriously a must!

Briana

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
  7. lydia wrote:

Bringing your own steamer is such a good idea! My clothes always get so wrinkled, I’m sure there is no way around it, yet who wants to deal with ironing when they are on vacation? Hotels really need to get onboard with in room steamers. But I guess until then having a mini one to travel with is the best solution!

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
  8. Megan wrote:

I am so with you. I have to have to my portable charger with me wherever I go.

Posted 3.30.19 Reply

I don’t have a Kindle (I prefer a good old-fashioned book haha), but everything else is definitely on my must-have travel list!

Posted 3.31.19 Reply
  10. Jamaria Johnson wrote:

Great list! I love my Anker charger and I have a steamer in my cart now. They are SO much easier than ironing! xo

Posted 4.1.19 Reply
  11. Need that steamer in my life! Sounds like such a great one and a perfect size!

xo Laura Leigh
    LOUELLA REESE

Posted 4.2.19 Reply
  12. anabelle wrote:

Portable chargers are seriously a life-saver! & I love my travel steamer!

Posted 4.3.19 Reply

• Today’s plan: soak up some ☀️ & get a bit more reading in before it’s time to head back home! 📚 Just started #theperfectgirlfriend and I’m already hooked! #enwreads Get all details here or in the @liketoknow.it app (I linked the book too!) http://liketk.it/2B9iy #liketkit #enwexplores #bookstagram
  • Being at the beach means it’s acceptable to eat oysters every night at happy hour, right?! #askingforafriend🙈 off to grab dinner & drinks with my love! Outfit details at the link in bio or in @liketoknow.it app http://liketk.it/2B8Ie #liketkit #LTKsalealert #LTKunder50 #enwexplores
  • Weekend, we’re ready for ya! 🙌🏻we’re spending the weekend at my parent’s beach house & I couldn’t be happier about it! 👙🌴🌊 I plan on spending time by the pool reading, hanging in the jacuzzi & taking walks on the beach 🙌🏻 shop this look at the link in my bio or with the @liketoknow.it app (username emilynwilkinson) http://liketk.it/2B7dF #liketkit #enwexplores #charleston #toyotarav4 #rav4 #barringtongifts
  • It’s #nationalpetday and I’ll take any excuse to share pics of my sweet Charlie 💙 everyday is national Charlie day in our household 😹 Adopting Charlie 6 years ago was one of the best decisions I ever made. At the time I wasn’t a cat lady, but this little fatty has made me the craziest cat lady & I cannot imagine our lives without him!
Last month I had the pleasure of working with @localtoyotadealers on a campaign and we ended up donating $1000 to the Humane Society @hspiedmont in hopes of helping all the kitties & puppies get the help they need and find a furever home 💙#charliekittybaby #adoptdontshop #sogso #humanesociety
  • Cheers to 29 & the last year of my 20s! 🎉🥳🎈Looking forward to another year of fun, traveling & making a lot of memories! Chatting about my honest thoughts on getting older and sharing the things I want to do in my last year of my 20s today on lifewithemilyblog.com 💙 feeling thankful to be surrounded by so many wonderful friends & family! #cheersto29 #happybirthday
  • Last night of bein’ 28! 🥳Off to dinner @1618seafoodgrille with my fam before I turn 29!
My top, sunglasses, earrings, bag & shoes are 20-25% off! Shop everything here http://liketk.it/2B2Ma @liketoknow.it #liketkit #ltkunder100