Five on Friday vol. 8 – 5 Things I Never Travel Without

Spring is in full swing, which means many people are scheduling trips and making plans for the warmer months! While our travel schedule isn’t as packed as it has been in years past, we do have a few trips on the calendar that we’re looking forward to! For today’s Five on Friday post I thought I would share the five items I never travel without!

I tend to be a little OCD when it comes to packing for a trip. I’m the kind of girl who makes a list of every.single.thing I will need and as I add it into my suitcase I check it off. Over the years I have tried my best to narrow down the list, but let’s face it, I will never be the person that can travel for a week in a carry-on ha! No matter if I’m packing for a month long trip or a quick weekend away, there are five items I always bring with me no matter what!

Five items I never travel without

a good travel bag

Over the years I have made the mistake of not carrying a functional bag when traveling.I quickly learned from my mistake and invested in good, functional bags that I can fit all of my essentials in. A few of my favorite brands for travel bags are MZ Wallace and Barrington. MZ Wallace bags are super lightweight, they are completely packable and come in quite a few different styles, sizes, and so many colors. I have the medium metro tote & the backpack and both have served me SO well on trips. I never knew just how heavy other bags were until I carried one by MZ Wallace for traveling. It truly makes a HUGE difference. Barrington bags are completely customizable and are great for travel, too. I love the St. Anne tote (which now comes with a zipper) and the Belmont Travel Bag for weekend trips. Both of these bags hold so much and I like being able to spot my bags thanks to the personalization!

portable charger & 6ft. charging cord

Hotels often have really weird placed outlets and most of the time they aren’t convenient. I always bring my long 6 ft. charger so that I can still access my phone while it’s charging! My phone also notoriously dies SO quickly, so anytime I travel I bring a portable charger with me that way I can charge my phone on the go if I need to! This comes in handy when you’re out exploring all day, too! This is my preferred portable charger because it’s small enough to fit in my bag but holds it’s charge a long time.

my travel steamer

When it comes to packing for a trip I always try to pack as efficiently as possible (with packing cubes, compression bags, etc.), which means that sometimes my clothes end up pretty wrinkled. I swear by my steamer when I’m home and when I travel I bring this travel steamer with me! It’s compact enough to pack in your suitcase, but it’s very powerful and gets alll the wrinkles out!

my kindle paper white & a book

It’s no secret around here that I never go anywhere without a book! Even when I’m traveling and may not have a ton of time to read I still like to bring a book with me. If I’m traveling for an extended period fo time I prefer to bring my Kindle Paperwhite with me  (and maybe a physical book or two!). While I was anti-Kindle for so long, I really enjoy it when traveling and helps keep me from weighing down my carry on or luggage with books. I like to unwind and read before bed, especially when traveling so I make sure I have at least one or two books with me at all times! Swipe to see a few books on my reading list!

a fully stocked cosmetic bag

When it comes to traveling, I swear my toiletries take up more space than anything else. Even if I’m headed on a quick weekend away I make sure my cosmetic bag is filled with everything I will definitely need and a bunch of stuff I might need haha! I can’t tell you how many times I have traveled somewhere and had to pick up an item because I either forgot it or didn’t think I would need it. A few must have items in my cosmetic bag include chapstick, a serum or oil to keep my skin hydrated, all of my medicine (migraine meds, Advil, etc.), tide-to-go pen or shout wipe, fingernail clippers, tweezers, and lotion!

1. Anna English wrote:

I have a Conair hand steamer that I swear by! I need to invest in a portable charger.

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
  2. tanvi wrote:

I can’t read on a kindle but everything else is spot on!

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
    • Emily wrote:

Why can’t you read on a kindle?! Very curious as I’ve never heard anyone say that! 🙂

Posted 3.29.19 Reply

Oh gosh, I’m a list girl too haha! You’re not alone. I love these essentials though!

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
  4. Kim wrote:

I bring all of these items when I travel also! A travel steamer has been a total game changer!

xoxo,
    Kim

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
  5. Mollie wrote:

I’m with you on all of these but the steamer 🙁 They aren’t popular in Europe so I haven’t been able to find an affordable travel one, and my American one blew out on it’s first use!! It’s so strange to me that everyone here still irons!

xx Mollie

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
    • Emily wrote:

Oh no, that’s so frustrating! Sometimes ironing just doesn’t the trick… and it’s SUCH a process haha! Hopefully you’ll find one soon that works over there! Crossing my fingers for you haha! 🙂

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
  6. briana wrote:

Portable chargers are seriously a must!

Briana

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
  7. lydia wrote:

Bringing your own steamer is such a good idea! My clothes always get so wrinkled, I’m sure there is no way around it, yet who wants to deal with ironing when they are on vacation? Hotels really need to get onboard with in room steamers. But I guess until then having a mini one to travel with is the best solution!

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
  8. Megan wrote:

I am so with you. I have to have to my portable charger with me wherever I go.

Posted 3.30.19 Reply

I don’t have a Kindle (I prefer a good old-fashioned book haha), but everything else is definitely on my must-have travel list!

Posted 3.31.19 Reply
  10. Jamaria Johnson wrote:

Great list! I love my Anker charger and I have a steamer in my cart now. They are SO much easier than ironing! xo

Posted 4.1.19 Reply
  11. Need that steamer in my life! Sounds like such a great one and a perfect size!

xo Laura Leigh
    LOUELLA REESE

Posted 4.2.19 Reply
  12. anabelle wrote:

Portable chargers are seriously a life-saver! & I love my travel steamer!

Posted 4.3.19 Reply
  13. Frizzy wrote:

wow I didn’t know travel steamers existed. Major game changer

Posted 6.22.19 Reply
  14. Noelle wrote:

Ohhh girl where are those jeans from?!

Posted 7.1.19 Reply

• Weekend plan: find Bernadette! 🕶💁🏼‍♀️🌍🎬so beyond thrilled that Where’d You Go Bernadette is officially in theaters TODAY! 🎉 last month I jetted off to Toronto thanks to @bernadettefilm for a once in a lifetime experience. We got to go to an advanced screening of #WheredYouGoBernadette followed by a Q&A with #RichardLinklater and the cast of the movie. It was truly fascinating hearing them talk about @mariasemple’s book to movie adaption, how they related to #Bernadette & all the filming details! I think I’m still reeling from being in the same room as these talented people! And yes, I totally fan girled over meeting & chatting with @sleepinthegardn (PLL FAN 4 LYFE!) 😂

If you loved the book, be sure to see the movie! And if you haven’t read the book yet, definitely add it to your shelf! 📚 #enwreads They did an incredible job adapting this book and maintaining the essence of Bernadette’s witty, exotic character! I think you’ll find yourself relating to Bernadette in *some* way throughout the movie! I loved it - I laughed, I teared up & it’s full of heartwarming moments! Huge thanks to @bernadettefilm for the wonderful weekend in #Toronto! 💙[ad] #cateblanchette #bernadettefilm #troianbellisario
  • We’re one day away from the weekend! 🎉🙌🏻 this late summer look is on the blog today & I’m chatting about how to transition both pieces into fall! 💙 to shop this look you can head to lifewithemilyblog.com or follow me in the @liketoknow.it app, just search emilynwilkinson http://liketk.it/2EbrB #liketkit #LTKunder100 #LTKstyletip #madewell #madewellnc
  • Looking for a great book to add to your reading list?! 📚 Don't worry, I've got ya covered with a new book called #AmericanRoyals! 👸🏻@katharinemcgee’s latest book is one that will suck you right in with a new royal family... and they're located in the USA! 🇺🇸You'll be enthralled with the royals, the scandals, and their family drama! This book publishes on September 3rd, but you can pre-order it now (link in my stories!) and if you submit your receipt you'll get a free tote with your pre-order purchase!  @getunderlined #getunderlined [ad]
US Residents 13+. Ends 9/2/19. See terms at bit.ly/2OqHxz0
  • Happy Monday, friends! 💓 Let’s start the week out right and spread a little kindness, starting with teachers! 👩🏼‍🏫 It’s August which means it’s back-to-school season, so I’ve teamed up with some other influencers to help #clearthelists for teachers and I hope you’ll join me! 📕✏️🖍📌📎📖💌 Please tag any teachers that are underfunded & desperately in need of supplies below. I have a teacher that I’m featuring on my IG Stories & you can see more lists on  @natsnextadventure @ashleyspivey @brooklynblonde1 @lipglossandcrayons
@katiemcrenshaw @lombardandfifth @girlgonechildinnyc @audreymcclellan @dreamingofhomemaking @the_rusticpallet @twindollicious @mellycoy @graceinthecrumbs @sarajanemercer and @mamacoaster. We all love and appreciate our teachers, let’s show them how much! 🍎#BloggersforBetter
  • It’s the weekend! 🎉🙌🏻💙 planning on having a low key weekend & catching up on reading after a crazy week! These were a few of my favorite reads from July! I HIGHLY recommend #MrsEverything & #CityofGirls 📚(all my book reviews are on the blog - link in bio!) http://liketk.it/2DSVd #enwreads
  • To be completely honest, today has been a shit show 🤦🏼‍♀️ My morning started off at 3:15 with a sick pup & continued snow balling until about 5:00 this evening. Some days just get the best of ya & today our animals got the best of me and Nick🤣 luckily they’re both ok 🐶🐱 but man, today was rough and stressful! The highlight of my day was meeting @_happygocurly_ for coffee while she was in town this AM! ☕️ We have never met, but had been friends online for years!  It was like grabbing coffee with an old friend! 👯‍♀️ chin up friends, the weekend is *almost* here!
Shop my outfit by clicking the link in my bio or by following @emilynwilkinson in the @liketoknow.it app http://liketk.it/2DREY #liketkit #LTKunder100 #LTKunder50