Five on Friday vol. 8 – 5 Things I Never Travel Without

Spring is in full swing, which means many people are scheduling trips and making plans for the warmer months! While our travel schedule isn’t as packed as it has been in years past, we do have a few trips on the calendar that we’re looking forward to! For today’s Five on Friday post I thought I would share the five items I never travel without!

I tend to be a little OCD when it comes to packing for a trip. I’m the kind of girl who makes a list of every.single.thing I will need and as I add it into my suitcase I check it off. Over the years I have tried my best to narrow down the list, but let’s face it, I will never be the person that can travel for a week in a carry-on ha! No matter if I’m packing for a month long trip or a quick weekend away, there are five items I always bring with me no matter what!

Five items I never travel without

a good travel bag

Over the years I have made the mistake of not carrying a functional bag when traveling.I quickly learned from my mistake and invested in good, functional bags that I can fit all of my essentials in. A few of my favorite brands for travel bags are MZ Wallace and Barrington. MZ Wallace bags are super lightweight, they are completely packable and come in quite a few different styles, sizes, and so many colors. I have the medium metro tote & the backpack and both have served me SO well on trips. I never knew just how heavy other bags were until I carried one by MZ Wallace for traveling. It truly makes a HUGE difference. Barrington bags are completely customizable and are great for travel, too. I love the St. Anne tote (which now comes with a zipper) and the Belmont Travel Bag for weekend trips. Both of these bags hold so much and I like being able to spot my bags thanks to the personalization!

portable charger & 6ft. charging cord

Hotels often have really weird placed outlets and most of the time they aren’t convenient. I always bring my long 6 ft. charger so that I can still access my phone while it’s charging! My phone also notoriously dies SO quickly, so anytime I travel I bring a portable charger with me that way I can charge my phone on the go if I need to! This comes in handy when you’re out exploring all day, too! This is my preferred portable charger because it’s small enough to fit in my bag but holds it’s charge a long time.

my travel steamer

When it comes to packing for a trip I always try to pack as efficiently as possible (with packing cubes, compression bags, etc.), which means that sometimes my clothes end up pretty wrinkled. I swear by my steamer when I’m home and when I travel I bring this travel steamer with me! It’s compact enough to pack in your suitcase, but it’s very powerful and gets alll the wrinkles out!

my kindle paper white & a book

It’s no secret around here that I never go anywhere without a book! Even when I’m traveling and may not have a ton of time to read I still like to bring a book with me. If I’m traveling for an extended period fo time I prefer to bring my Kindle Paperwhite with me  (and maybe a physical book or two!). While I was anti-Kindle for so long, I really enjoy it when traveling and helps keep me from weighing down my carry on or luggage with books. I like to unwind and read before bed, especially when traveling so I make sure I have at least one or two books with me at all times! Swipe to see a few books on my reading list!

a fully stocked cosmetic bag

When it comes to traveling, I swear my toiletries take up more space than anything else. Even if I’m headed on a quick weekend away I make sure my cosmetic bag is filled with everything I will definitely need and a bunch of stuff I might need haha! I can’t tell you how many times I have traveled somewhere and had to pick up an item because I either forgot it or didn’t think I would need it. A few must have items in my cosmetic bag include chapstick, a serum or oil to keep my skin hydrated, all of my medicine (migraine meds, Advil, etc.), tide-to-go pen or shout wipe, fingernail clippers, tweezers, and lotion!

1. Anna English wrote:

I have a Conair hand steamer that I swear by! I need to invest in a portable charger.

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
  2. tanvi wrote:

I can’t read on a kindle but everything else is spot on!

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
    • Emily wrote:

Why can’t you read on a kindle?! Very curious as I’ve never heard anyone say that! 🙂

Posted 3.29.19 Reply

Oh gosh, I’m a list girl too haha! You’re not alone. I love these essentials though!

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
  4. Kim wrote:

I bring all of these items when I travel also! A travel steamer has been a total game changer!

xoxo,
    Kim

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
  5. Mollie wrote:

I’m with you on all of these but the steamer 🙁 They aren’t popular in Europe so I haven’t been able to find an affordable travel one, and my American one blew out on it’s first use!! It’s so strange to me that everyone here still irons!

xx Mollie

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
    • Emily wrote:

Oh no, that’s so frustrating! Sometimes ironing just doesn’t the trick… and it’s SUCH a process haha! Hopefully you’ll find one soon that works over there! Crossing my fingers for you haha! 🙂

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
  6. briana wrote:

Portable chargers are seriously a must!

Briana

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
  7. lydia wrote:

Bringing your own steamer is such a good idea! My clothes always get so wrinkled, I’m sure there is no way around it, yet who wants to deal with ironing when they are on vacation? Hotels really need to get onboard with in room steamers. But I guess until then having a mini one to travel with is the best solution!

Posted 3.29.19 Reply
  8. Megan wrote:

I am so with you. I have to have to my portable charger with me wherever I go.

Posted 3.30.19 Reply

I don’t have a Kindle (I prefer a good old-fashioned book haha), but everything else is definitely on my must-have travel list!

Posted 3.31.19 Reply
  10. Jamaria Johnson wrote:

Great list! I love my Anker charger and I have a steamer in my cart now. They are SO much easier than ironing! xo

Posted 4.1.19 Reply
  11. Need that steamer in my life! Sounds like such a great one and a perfect size!

xo Laura Leigh
    LOUELLA REESE

Posted 4.2.19 Reply
  12. anabelle wrote:

Portable chargers are seriously a life-saver! & I love my travel steamer!

Posted 4.3.19 Reply
  13. Frizzy wrote:

wow I didn’t know travel steamers existed. Major game changer

Posted 6.22.19 Reply
  14. Noelle wrote:

Ohhh girl where are those jeans from?!

Posted 7.1.19 Reply

• A little mid-week floral happiness for ya! 🌸 hows everyone doing this week? I’m having a pretty good week so far - sharing a few things I’m thankful for this week:
• a loving, supportive husband! I haven’t been out of the house in 2+ weeks & he’s made sure I have everything I need!
• neighborhood walks, they’re good for the soul & a great way to recharge.
• a great support system near & far keeping me encouraged!
• the ability to catch up with friends! 👩🏼‍💻Had a great zoom call with my #bloggersdotravel girls @mystylevita @glitterandgingham @kristinchambless & @poorlittleitgirl today!
• my endless pile of books that I want to read! 📚I’ve enjoyed unplugging and reading every day. #booksconnectus

share what you’re thankful for this week! 💙 http://liketk.it/2Mlh5 #liketkit #LTKhome #floralarrangement
  • 24 weeks with our baby boy🤰🏼💙 it’s crazy to think we get to meet him in just 16 weeks, it feels like this pregnancy has flown by! 👶🏻I feel grateful that I have had a healthy & happy pregnancy but, to be honest, the last few weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions. As a first time mom, I have these feelings of immense sadness as the last half of this pregnancy is going to be nothing like I had envisioned. There have been a lot of tears over the fact that many exciting moments can no longer be shared with those closest to us. I know others have it much, much worse but I’ve learned it’s ok to be sad & to feel these emotions. I’m upset that I am no longer able to have a baby shower to celebrate our first born, I’m sad I don’t get to hug our family and watch their faces as they see my growing bump. I’m upset that these last few months of just the two of us look completely different - more time spent in our house quarantined and less time having date nights at our favorite spots and doing the things we want before baby arrives. I mourn the fact that our families may not get to meet our baby boy in the hospital the way we always talked about. But with any situation, I have cried it out (a lot) and decided to take it one day at a time and to find joy in each day💙 And ya know what? There’s a lot of joy amidst the chaos. It brings me so much joy to feel his daily movement (and my heart nearly burst when Nick felt him kick for the first time).🥰I am overjoyed that we have such a strong support system near and far. I love that we get to spend more time at home spoiling our fur babies. I find solace knowing that there are so many pregnant mamas out there feeling these exact emotions & we share a common experience and bond! I am grateful for those that are on the front lines caring for everyone. I know we have the best doctors carrying us through this uncertain time. We are strong mamas and we will get through this! 💕 so, I challenge you to find the join in each day no matter your situation! #24weekspregnant #24weeks #pregnancy #2ndtrimester #stylethebump #bumpstyle #pregnant #pregnantduringcovid19 #pregnantblogger #thebump #boymom #expecting #expectingmom
  • Thinking back on a time when I got dressed (in something other than leggings) & was able to leave my house 💙🙈🤣 Anyone else going a bit stir crazy?! 🏡 I think I’m going to put on this @sailtosable dress on Friday & have an in-house date night to feel a lil fancy! 😊 shop this look here + linking a few of their dresses that are on sale! http://liketk.it/2M21a @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKspring #sailtosable #sailtosablepartner
  • Anyone else been reading more lately? 📚 Reading is my favorite form of self-care & now more than ever I'm leaning on books during this stressful time we're in. 🤓Reading before bed lets me unwind and relax! I'm teaming up with @penguinrandomhouse to challenge you to read 10-30 minutes before bed as part of their #ReadtoSleep campaign! March is National Sleep Awareness month so put your phone down & pick up a book for the next few weeks and give yourself a much needed break! 💙 [ad]

p.s. they have a great giveaway going on with @parachutehome where you can win 25 books of your choice (OMG!) and a cozy bedding set from Parachute! Find out how to enter on my stories!

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. US Residents, 18+. Enter ‪between 1/15/20 and 3/31/20‬. See Official Rules at ‪bit.ly/2sgzc6U‬
  • How’s everyone doing? 💙 I’m taking it one day (heck, sometimes one hour!) at a time this week!

Here are a few things I’m grateful for:
• Getting to check on our baby boy👶🏻& hear his heartbeat today!
• That I am able to work from home & have some sense of normalcy through all of this👩🏼‍💻.
• Those who are working & caring for others (including doctors, nurses, delivery drivers, those who work at grocery stores & restaurants handling takeout).
• Having this community to chat with through the good & bad days! It’s been so nice connecting with all of you via DM (especially those who are pregnant or new moms!) as we juggle this new “normal.”
Shop today’s casual outfit here or at the link in my bio http://liketk.it/2LMWs @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKbump #LTKunder100 #bumpstyle #stylethebump #ingridandisabel #everydaymadewell #pregnantblogger #pregnancy #expectingmom #boymom #secondtrimester #2ndtrimester #momtobe #22weekspregnant
  • Hi friends 👋🏻It’s a new week & I’m going into it with a positive attitude (that’s all we can hope for at this point, right?) 💙I’m social distancing & self quarantining in an effort to “flatten the curve.” We spent the weekend going on walks with our pup🐶, getting in a lot of reading📚, binging Love is Blind📺 and cooking some of our favorite meals🍽! We’re trying to remain positive & do the best we can to protect ourselves and others 😊 p.s. I am *loving* this dress (wearing XS) & it’s bump approved - swipe to see a pic of my #22weekspregnant bump! http://liketk.it/2LDxv @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKspring #LTKbump #bumpstyle #stylethebump #pregnantblogger #22weeks #expectingmom #babyontheway #2ndtrimester #bumpfriendly