10 Things We Have Purchased For Our Home

It’s hard to believe that we have been in our new home for over a month now! Things are slowly feeling like home around here & I couldn’t be happier about that! I feel like my mind has been so focused on home stuff lately and while I definitely don’t hate it, it can also be overwhelming ha! There’s always something to be done or some idea that pops into our heads!

When it came to buying things for our new house, we decided to take things slow. Nick and I both knew that we had a lot of items to fill most of the spaces in our home (heck, we had a storage unit full of stuff) so we decided to see how everything fit before buying much. Before we closed we did a walk through of our home & used that time to make notes about what items we currently had and what rooms that they would work in. This helped tremendously come move-in day since we had a clear vision of where things could be placed.

From there we figured out what we needed and ordered those items so we could have them when we moved in. There are still plenty of things that we need to order (like a table for our breakfast nook, a buffet for our dining room, etc). Today I wanted to share some of the items we purchased for our home so far! I’ll be sure to do another post once we make some of the bigger purchases!

one. a king sized bed

*insert the hallelujah hand emoji* The first thing we ordered for our new house was a king sized panel bed! We have been sleeping on a queen sized bed (with a big kitty!) for almost four years and buying a king bed was a much needed upgrade! We got this bed during Wayfair’s Way Day & it’s even better in person. I can’t even explain how great it feels sleeping in a larger bed – total game changer.

two. king mattress

Obviously, we had to get a king mattress to go along with our new bed! Nowadays there are so many different mattress brands that I honestly didn’t even know where to begin. I took to instagram stories to poll to see which ones you all loved & there was an overwhelming response for the Leesa mattress. We went and tried it at West Elm and really liked it, so we went with the Leesa Hybrid Mattress. I’ll be doing a full review on it soon, but we wanted to sleep in it for a month or so before doing that!

three. furniture for our screened in porch

One of our favorite spaces is our screened in porch. Up until last week we didn’t have any furniture. Outdoor furniture is a) so hard to buy and b) so darn expensive that it took us forever to find something that we liked and that fit in the space! We found this conversation set on sale from Wayfair and love it! I won’t chat about the assembling process (ugh!) but it’s really comfortable. Next year we will probably order new cushions, but for this year they work! We ordered these pillows and this outdoor rug and it really brightened the space.

four. pillows for our master bedroom

I’ll start this by saying I have a thing for throw pillows! Nick hated our old pillows for our bed. He thought they were too girly, too big & they attracted Charlie hair non-stop. I jumped at the chance to order new ones haha! I scoured a few different websites before landing on these cute pillows for our master bedroom. They’re still relatively neutral but add a nice pop of color! These pillows come in so many colors too!

five. lidded seagrass baskets

I have obsessed over these seagrass baskets for the longest time from Serena & Lily but we never had a spot for them in our apartment. I grabbed the small seagrass basket for by our fireplace and I love it! It’s great for storing small blankets. Eventually I want to get another one for our entry way and our formal living room. I love the natural look of these and that they’re lidded (things I’m loving more these days with a curious pup!)

six. storage containers

At our apartment we didn’t have an actual pantry, instead we used a few cabinets for food storage. It drove us both crazy because things became disorganized so quickly. Now that we have a pantry, we are trying to keep it as organized as possible. We started with these storage containers and also have added these storage bins to keep snacks organized and these bins to organize our refrigerator. We still have a ways to go in getting fully organized in our pantry, but these items have totally helped!

seven. bookshelf

We actually haven’t ordered this bookshelf yet, but it’s currently in my cart! Last year I added another one of my favorite bookshelves in my office. When we moved we put the two bookshelves together, leaving my office with no sort of storage. We plan on ordering this bookshelf for the office soon. I like that it matches the other two bookshelves in our home and it leaves space for more books!

eight. lidded storage baskets

These baskets are so great to have in any room! We have both the small basket and large basket and use them for Charlie and Avett’s toys, blankets, shoes, etc. They hold so much and I was quite surprised. We have three or four blankets in the large basket! They’re extremely sturdy and the lid actually stays on. I say this because Avett loves to try to get Charlie’s toys and he can never get into the lid, but he sure can jump on top of them ha!

nine. curtains for our living room

Does anyone else thing curtains are really hard to buy?! There are so many choices, the quality is across the board & it’s always hard to imagine what may look good in a space that you have never lived in before! I roamed the aisles of Target, Lowe’s, HomeGoods and local stores with NO luck! I was perusing Amazon (as always) and found these printed curtains and fell in love with them. We wanted some color in the space and this pattern works so well with the room! I was impressed with the quality.

ten. Google WiFi Pods

I know so many people who swear by these Google Wifi pods. We got them from my stepdad as a house warming gift and I totally get the hype! We placed them in our living room, entryway, upstairs office & bedroom and it helps strengthen our WiFi throughout our home. We have no issues with streaming or using many devices at once!

What are some of the things that are “must haves” in your home?! Thanks so much for stopping by! xx

1. Kathryn Story wrote:

We might be the same person! 😂 We recently moved and had already bought 8 out of 10 things in your list!! LOL

Posted 8.8.19 Reply
  2. Jessica Camerata wrote:

I have got to get some pantry organizers like those! and yes to a king size bed! Just me and Pork in a Queen was a pain in the ass ha!

xo Jessica
    My Style Vita

Posted 8.8.19 Reply
  3. Beth wrote:

Anything Ikea! We love the modern look and the clean lines. Neither of us likes fussy, formal, or anything even remotely ornate, so Ikea fits our style perfectly. We have so many of their storage units. We even got rid of all our dressers and got the Ikea wardrobes that you can customize with the type of storage you need-hanging, drawers, shelves, baskets, etc.

Posted 8.8.19 Reply
    • Emily wrote:

We actually don’t have a lot of Ikea items! We have a few storage baskets and such but their furniture style doesn’t match our personal style or our home!

Posted 8.14.19 Reply
  4. Carrington Barfield wrote:

My bf and I are currently looking for pieces for our new apartment we are leasing within the next couple of months! Definitely going to reference this post! Thanks girl! Xx.

Posted 8.8.19 Reply
  5. Cathy wrote:

I’m in love with your new bed and those curtains are really nice! I need new curtains but didn’t’ think of looking at Amazon, I will have to take a look!

XOXO
    Cathy

Posted 8.8.19 Reply
  6. Lizzie wrote:

That bed is so pretty! I’m currently in full decorating mode so I’ll check some of these out!

Lizzie

Posted 8.8.19 Reply
  7. Rachel wrote:

I can’t wait to hear what you think of the Leesa mattress! Love the storage containers, too. Need to order some for my pantry!

Rachel

Posted 8.8.19 Reply
  8. Mona wrote:

Love the bookcase you picked

Posted 8.8.19 Reply
  9. Love it! I can’t wait until we move so we can get a real pantry and organize it. Love your bed too! xo

Posted 8.8.19 Reply
  10. sarah lindner wrote:

Very exciting, I’m interested to know what you’ll think of the Leesa mattress!
    Xoxo
    Sarah Lindner

Posted 8.9.19 Reply
  11. Laura S wrote:

I love these! A king sized bed is a must in my life!

Posted 8.10.19 Reply
  12. Kristina wrote:

All great picks! Those antelope pillows are so cute and I 100% agree that a king bed is life changing!! That one’s definitely a must-have!

Posted 8.12.19 Reply
  13. Jackie wrote:

I love the fact that the seagrass baskets look cute AND have lids in case you don’t feel like looking at the contents!

Posted 8.13.19 Reply
  14. caleyjaderosenberg wrote:

How much fun is this?! I loved decorating and shopping for our home x

Posted 8.14.19 Reply

• Weekend plan: find Bernadette! 🕶💁🏼‍♀️🌍🎬so beyond thrilled that Where’d You Go Bernadette is officially in theaters TODAY! 🎉 last month I jetted off to Toronto thanks to @bernadettefilm for a once in a lifetime experience. We got to go to an advanced screening of #WheredYouGoBernadette followed by a Q&A with #RichardLinklater and the cast of the movie. It was truly fascinating hearing them talk about @mariasemple’s book to movie adaption, how they related to #Bernadette & all the filming details! I think I’m still reeling from being in the same room as these talented people! And yes, I totally fan girled over meeting & chatting with @sleepinthegardn (PLL FAN 4 LYFE!) 😂

If you loved the book, be sure to see the movie! And if you haven’t read the book yet, definitely add it to your shelf! 📚 #enwreads They did an incredible job adapting this book and maintaining the essence of Bernadette’s witty, exotic character! I think you’ll find yourself relating to Bernadette in *some* way throughout the movie! I loved it - I laughed, I teared up & it’s full of heartwarming moments! Huge thanks to @bernadettefilm for the wonderful weekend in #Toronto! 💙[ad] #cateblanchette #bernadettefilm #troianbellisario
  • We’re one day away from the weekend! 🎉🙌🏻 this late summer look is on the blog today & I’m chatting about how to transition both pieces into fall! 💙 to shop this look you can head to lifewithemilyblog.com or follow me in the @liketoknow.it app, just search emilynwilkinson http://liketk.it/2EbrB #liketkit #LTKunder100 #LTKstyletip #madewell #madewellnc
  • Looking for a great book to add to your reading list?! 📚 Don't worry, I've got ya covered with a new book called #AmericanRoyals! 👸🏻@katharinemcgee’s latest book is one that will suck you right in with a new royal family... and they're located in the USA! 🇺🇸You'll be enthralled with the royals, the scandals, and their family drama! This book publishes on September 3rd, but you can pre-order it now (link in my stories!) and if you submit your receipt you'll get a free tote with your pre-order purchase!  @getunderlined #getunderlined [ad]
US Residents 13+. Ends 9/2/19. See terms at bit.ly/2OqHxz0
  • Happy Monday, friends! 💓 Let’s start the week out right and spread a little kindness, starting with teachers! 👩🏼‍🏫 It’s August which means it’s back-to-school season, so I’ve teamed up with some other influencers to help #clearthelists for teachers and I hope you’ll join me! 📕✏️🖍📌📎📖💌 Please tag any teachers that are underfunded & desperately in need of supplies below. I have a teacher that I’m featuring on my IG Stories & you can see more lists on  @natsnextadventure @ashleyspivey @brooklynblonde1 @lipglossandcrayons
@katiemcrenshaw @lombardandfifth @girlgonechildinnyc @audreymcclellan @dreamingofhomemaking @the_rusticpallet @twindollicious @mellycoy @graceinthecrumbs @sarajanemercer and @mamacoaster. We all love and appreciate our teachers, let’s show them how much! 🍎#BloggersforBetter
  • It’s the weekend! 🎉🙌🏻💙 planning on having a low key weekend & catching up on reading after a crazy week! These were a few of my favorite reads from July! I HIGHLY recommend #MrsEverything & #CityofGirls 📚(all my book reviews are on the blog - link in bio!) http://liketk.it/2DSVd #enwreads
  • To be completely honest, today has been a shit show 🤦🏼‍♀️ My morning started off at 3:15 with a sick pup & continued snow balling until about 5:00 this evening. Some days just get the best of ya & today our animals got the best of me and Nick🤣 luckily they’re both ok 🐶🐱 but man, today was rough and stressful! The highlight of my day was meeting @_happygocurly_ for coffee while she was in town this AM! ☕️ We have never met, but had been friends online for years!  It was like grabbing coffee with an old friend! 👯‍♀️ chin up friends, the weekend is *almost* here!
Shop my outfit by clicking the link in my bio or by following @emilynwilkinson in the @liketoknow.it app http://liketk.it/2DREY #liketkit #LTKunder100 #LTKunder50