Five on Friday vol. 9 – Fall travel plans, favorite books, work-life balance & more!

Happy Friday, y’all! Anyone have fun plans for the weekend? We have some yard work to do (story of our lives lately!), we have a night out with friends tonight and a date night planned for tomorrow night! Nothing crazy, but we’re looking forward to it all! It’s been a while since I have done a Five on Friday post, so I am answering five (ok six, one is a bonus) questions that you all asked me yesterday! I hope y’all have a great weekend! I’ll check in with you next week.

top | shorts

Q: DO YOU HAVE ANY FALL TRAVEL PLANS?
A: Yes! As of right now fall isn’t too crazy but I do have some fun trips coming up. Currently I am heading to Tennessee and Charleston in October, both for girls trips! I’m also hoping to plan a trip to Key West to see my best friend, Jenn, who just moved there! Nick and I would like to do a few mountain trips this fall – at least one for an App game and one for our anniversary.

Q: HOW IS THE HOME DECORATING GOING?!?
A: It. Is. A. Process. Simply put, filling a home is a huge process! When we moved we brought over almost everything with us. We weren’t sure if everything would work, but we also didn’t want to buy things until we had an idea of how we would be using each room. We feel very lucky that most of our furniture fits the space very well and that there are only a few things we need to buy for now. The main items we need to buy are a table and chairs for our breakfast nook in our kitchen and a buffet for our dining room. Those are the major items that will help with day-to-day life and make both spaces more functional. There are MANY things that we brought with us that we want to eventually replace or upgrade (like our bedroom dresser, nightstands, etc.) but for now we are living with what we have until we find exactly what we want. We also would like to add things to each of our guest rooms, but again, they are functional for now! We are choosing to take things slowly and buy things as we find them vs. buying something just to buy it. However, that has made it a bit harder to begin certain home projects that we want to do! Oh well, we’re here for the long haul haha!

Q: WHAT ARE A FEW THINGS YOU’RE LOOKING FORWARD TO?
A: Oh this is a fun question! First and foremost I am looking forward to cooler weather! The past few months have been absolutely brutal here in North Carolina. I am over the humidity, feeling gross every time I walk outside & not being able to spend much time outdoors. I am SO excited for fall and the cooler weather! I’m also looking forward to seeing Avett grow up and experience a lot of firsts – like going to the beach, his first snow, etc. His puppy months are fleeting (brb crying) but we are so excited to experience so much with him! And I’m looking forward to making more memories with our family and friends. We have some fun stuff coming up this year and I’m excited for that time with those we love.

Q: WHAT IS YOUR DAILY ROUTINE FOR WORKING FROM HOME?
A: Every day is a bit different, depending on what I have scheduled for the day. Since moving and getting a puppy I have still been trying to figure out my new “normal” and routine, so it’s a work in progress lately! The last month has been chaotic without having structure and a good routine since we’re working hard to train Avett. With that said, I always start my morning off with breakfast, coffee & The Today Show. I typically work through emails and write out my to-do list for the day while I’m watching. The rest of the day is spent doing emails, hopping on calls to chat through campaign details, editing photos, shooting (or planning shoots) for any upcoming posts, drafting posts, updating my editorial calendar, and backing up images and documents. I try to allot a certain amount of time for each task so that I don’t get distracted and can stay on schedule. I love this timer cube for staying on task. A lot of my work is “behind the scenes” and consists of a lot of bookkeeping things! I’ll try to work on doing a more detailed day in the life post soon… once life settles down with the pup a bit!

Q: HOW DO YOU FIND BALANCE BETWEEN WORK, YOUR HUSBAND, SOCIAL OBLIGATIONS, READING, YOU TIME, ETC?
A: I think I’m still trying to figure this out haha! I try to always show myself grace when it comes to finding the perfect balance. Some days I feel like I’m doing great and other days I feel like I’m failing my work, my family, my friends, etc. I do try to make the most of my time though and schedule out as much as I can. For instance, during lunch I try to read so that I can squeeze in a bit of that while feeling like I’m getting a bit of “me” time. I also try to listen to what I need – whether it’s time to be social, time for myself, or time to finish obligations. Whatever it is I schedule those things and stick to that schedule! And my last tip is to realize that you can’t be everything to everyone, so be honest with yourself and prioritize what you *can* do. I’ll let you know if I ever actually figure it out lol!

Q: WHAT ARE YOUR FIVE FAVORITE BOOKS YOU READ THIS SUMMER?
A: I included this one as a bonus question because… duh I love books and thought this was a fun question to answer! I have read some really great books this summer (along with a few duds) but I feel lucky that there have been so many delightful books. Below are my five favorites that I have read this summer.

Shop the post

1. Sharron Barrett wrote:

I really enjoyed city of girls and summer of 69 . for me they were the best reads so far

Posted 8.16.19 Reply
  2. Lydia wrote:

Sounds like you are making lots of great progress on your home, and so exciting you’ve got trips coming up in the fall!

Posted 8.16.19 Reply
  3. legalleeblondeblog wrote:

happy friday babe! love those girls trips you have planned; they sound great!

Posted 8.16.19 Reply

I loved learning a little bit more about where you are right now in life and how everything is going. Definitely loved the moving update and the information about how you stay on-task!

Posted 8.18.19 Reply
  5. Carrington Barfield wrote:

It sounds like you have some fun things coming up soon this fall! I don’t have anything coming up since I’m actually trying to move soon! Hah, all of my energy is mostly going into that this fall.

Posted 8.19.19 Reply
  6. Laura S wrote:

Finding a balance can be really hard, especially when you work from home! I’m going to have to give that timer cube a try for sure!

Posted 8.19.19 Reply
  7. Anabelle wrote:

I need to check out those books!

Posted 8.20.19 Reply
  8. Annie wrote:

Your travels sound like SO much fun! I can’t wait to see the posts about them. And good luck decorating!

Posted 8.20.19 Reply
  9. Anna English wrote:

I am counting down the days until cooler weather hits Houston. Unfortunately that won’t be until Oct/ Nov! 🙁

Posted 8.20.19 Reply
  10. sarah lindner wrote:

All of these books are available on Audible, gonna check out Mrs. Everything, the narration sounds good

Posted 8.21.19 Reply
  11. Deanie wrote:

Love learning more about you from these posts! Your Fall travels sound so much fun! And I am so ready for cooler weather too!
    Xo, Deanie

Posted 8.22.19 Reply
  12. Lindsay wrote:

I’m definitely ready for cooler weather too! Also major props on how organized you are working from home, it’s something I struggle with!

Posted 8.23.19 Reply
  13. I’m reading Summer of ’69 now and absolutely loving it! It’s so good.

x Diana // Pearl Girl

Posted 8.23.19 Reply

• Weekend plan: find Bernadette! 🕶💁🏼‍♀️🌍🎬so beyond thrilled that Where’d You Go Bernadette is officially in theaters TODAY! 🎉 last month I jetted off to Toronto thanks to @bernadettefilm for a once in a lifetime experience. We got to go to an advanced screening of #WheredYouGoBernadette followed by a Q&A with #RichardLinklater and the cast of the movie. It was truly fascinating hearing them talk about @mariasemple’s book to movie adaption, how they related to #Bernadette & all the filming details! I think I’m still reeling from being in the same room as these talented people! And yes, I totally fan girled over meeting & chatting with @sleepinthegardn (PLL FAN 4 LYFE!) 😂

If you loved the book, be sure to see the movie! And if you haven’t read the book yet, definitely add it to your shelf! 📚 #enwreads They did an incredible job adapting this book and maintaining the essence of Bernadette’s witty, exotic character! I think you’ll find yourself relating to Bernadette in *some* way throughout the movie! I loved it - I laughed, I teared up & it’s full of heartwarming moments! Huge thanks to @bernadettefilm for the wonderful weekend in #Toronto! 💙[ad] #cateblanchette #bernadettefilm #troianbellisario
  • We’re one day away from the weekend! 🎉🙌🏻 this late summer look is on the blog today & I’m chatting about how to transition both pieces into fall! 💙 to shop this look you can head to lifewithemilyblog.com or follow me in the @liketoknow.it app, just search emilynwilkinson http://liketk.it/2EbrB #liketkit #LTKunder100 #LTKstyletip #madewell #madewellnc
  • Looking for a great book to add to your reading list?! 📚 Don't worry, I've got ya covered with a new book called #AmericanRoyals! 👸🏻@katharinemcgee’s latest book is one that will suck you right in with a new royal family... and they're located in the USA! 🇺🇸You'll be enthralled with the royals, the scandals, and their family drama! This book publishes on September 3rd, but you can pre-order it now (link in my stories!) and if you submit your receipt you'll get a free tote with your pre-order purchase!  @getunderlined #getunderlined [ad]
US Residents 13+. Ends 9/2/19. See terms at bit.ly/2OqHxz0
  • Happy Monday, friends! 💓 Let’s start the week out right and spread a little kindness, starting with teachers! 👩🏼‍🏫 It’s August which means it’s back-to-school season, so I’ve teamed up with some other influencers to help #clearthelists for teachers and I hope you’ll join me! 📕✏️🖍📌📎📖💌 Please tag any teachers that are underfunded & desperately in need of supplies below. I have a teacher that I’m featuring on my IG Stories & you can see more lists on  @natsnextadventure @ashleyspivey @brooklynblonde1 @lipglossandcrayons
@katiemcrenshaw @lombardandfifth @girlgonechildinnyc @audreymcclellan @dreamingofhomemaking @the_rusticpallet @twindollicious @mellycoy @graceinthecrumbs @sarajanemercer and @mamacoaster. We all love and appreciate our teachers, let’s show them how much! 🍎#BloggersforBetter
  • It’s the weekend! 🎉🙌🏻💙 planning on having a low key weekend & catching up on reading after a crazy week! These were a few of my favorite reads from July! I HIGHLY recommend #MrsEverything & #CityofGirls 📚(all my book reviews are on the blog - link in bio!) http://liketk.it/2DSVd #enwreads
  • To be completely honest, today has been a shit show 🤦🏼‍♀️ My morning started off at 3:15 with a sick pup & continued snow balling until about 5:00 this evening. Some days just get the best of ya & today our animals got the best of me and Nick🤣 luckily they’re both ok 🐶🐱 but man, today was rough and stressful! The highlight of my day was meeting @_happygocurly_ for coffee while she was in town this AM! ☕️ We have never met, but had been friends online for years!  It was like grabbing coffee with an old friend! 👯‍♀️ chin up friends, the weekend is *almost* here!
Shop my outfit by clicking the link in my bio or by following @emilynwilkinson in the @liketoknow.it app http://liketk.it/2DREY #liketkit #LTKunder100 #LTKunder50