July 2019 Monthly Recap

It’s time for another monthly roundup! Take a peek at previous monthly recaps here

Highlights

Did July fly by for anyone else!? This month felt like it was here and gone in a flash. Maybe it felt that way because we didn’t have any sort of semblance between moving & adjusting to having a puppy. While this month wasn’t particularly busy with things on our calendar, we had a lot going on personally! To be completely honest, I have felt really “off” this month and I feel that’s been reflected here… I’m the kind of person who thrives on structure and the lack of structure between the move and trying to get a schedule together for Avett really effected me this month. I’m hoping that August is better and that I can get out of this funk because I don’t like feeling like I’m not my best self, but I think we have all been there before right?!

On a brighter note, at the end of this month I jetted up to Toronto for an early screening of Where’d You Go Bernadette, which comes out in theaters August 16! I jumped at the opportunity because I really enjoyed the book when I read it a few years ago and I always love a good book-to-movie adaption! This opportunity was so fun and unique because not only was it an intimate group for the viewing (I think it was 12 girls) but we also got to sit down with the cast and the director to chat about the film, ask them questions, and just chat! It was a bit surreal to be sitting in the same room as Cate Blanchett, Troian Bellasario and Richard Linklater (among others!) but they were all so kind and personable!

Home

Whew! Our first month in our new home absolutely flew by! We spent the month trying to get things unpacked, organized, and get our house to feel like home! I feel like our lives revolved around unpacking and attempting to organize! I’m proud to say that our hard work paid off though because we only have TWO more boxes left to unpack and they’re not necessities so I’m in no rush ha!

We also did a LOT of yard work this month… whew! I’m tired just thinking about it haha! We cut limbs off of a tree, pressure washed our stone patio, pulled weeds (thanks a lot rain!) and trimmed all of the bushes in our front and back yard. There’s still a lot to do, but some projects are on hold until it’s a bit cooler out.

Avett

I cannot believe that we have had our sweet golden retriever puppy, Avett, for over a month now! He is a little over 12 weeks and I feel like he’s growing so much every day. I seriously came home from Toronto and almost cried because he seemed to have changed so much in the 72 hours I was gone! I can’t even begin to explain the joy he has brought to us this past month.

He is doing so well and is almost fully potty trained! He is a very quick learner and is great at sitting and fetching. He loves Charlie but the sentiment isn’t always reciprocated haha! Charlie is still warming up to Avett, but Avett lives for the times he gets to play with Charlie! We will get there eventually 🙂

Books I read this month

Even through all the chaos of the month I was able to read eight books. My favorites of the month were Mrs. Everything, City of Girls & Summer of ’69! Be sure to check out my July Reading List for all the reviews!

What I purchased

This leopard print dress (picture above) | It was too cute and I can’t wait to wear it into fall!
A floral midi skirt | I have worn this quite a few times since getting it. I love the colors & think it will be cute with a light sweater or denim jacket when it cools off.
The coziest cardigan of all time | Seriously, it’s SO soft. I have worn it around the house and when I went to Toronto this month!
A cashmere kimono | This will be perfect for cooler weather! I can’t wait to wear this with OTK boots.

Favorite blog posts on Life with Emily

Our Big Life Update | It was so exciting to finally share the news of buying our first home!
#NSale Purchases I Own | My honest thoughts on the Nordstrom Sale & why I don’t heavily promote it.

Current favorites on repeat

• BEAUTY: It Cosmetics CC+ Cream has been a long-time favorite but I always love it in the summer. A perfect “no makeup makeup” look!
  • CLOTHING: I got this cardigan this month and have loved it for traveling & around the house. It is SO soft!
  • TV SHOWS: I’m so happy that Million Dollar Listing: New York is back! We love watching that show together! Most of our other shows are about to end, so any suggestions are welcome!
  • PODCAST: I recently started To Live and Die in LA and it’s good so far! I also loved the BOTM episode on Sarah’s Book Shelves!
  • AUDIOBIOOK: I started Next Year in Havana but haven’t gotten very far into it yet!
  • CURRENTLY READING: I’m in the midst of reading The Most Fun We Ever Had and Tell Me Everything! SO far I’m really enjoying both! I haven’t been able to read as much as I want thanks to a cute four-legged friend ha!

Here’s to hoping August is great for everyone! Thanks for stopping by! xx

1. Rachel wrote:

I read Mrs. Everything in July, too, and it was so good!! Adding Summer of ’69 to my reading list!

Rachel

Posted 8.6.19 Reply
  2. Lizzie wrote:

What a great round up! It sounds like you had a busy but fulfilling month!

Lizzie

Posted 8.6.19 Reply
  3. Mandi wrote:

Moving threw me off EVERY routine. Like you, I thrive on structure and routine. Getting back into has been hard and shaking off the funk has taken longer than I’d like to admit. BUT here’s to a new month and feeling better! Thanks for keeping it all real ❤️

Posted 8.6.19 Reply
  4. Diana Pearl wrote:

I’m dying to read all the books you read this month! And how cool to meet Cate Blanchett!!!

x Diana

Posted 8.6.19 Reply
  5. Olivia wrote:

Such a great post! Good luck w everything!

Posted 8.6.19 Reply
  6. Mary Kate wrote:

Love your posts – as always! I am really enjoying the Chef’s Line on Netflix right now. If you enjoy Chopped or British Bake Off you’ll love!

Posted 8.6.19 Reply
  7. sarah lindner wrote:

Loved the post, Avett looks like such a sweety
    Xoxo
    Sarah Lindner

Posted 8.7.19 Reply
  8. Nailil wrote:

You seem to have had a great month. Congratulations on your new home!

Xx, Nailil
    thirtyminusone.com

Posted 8.7.19 Reply
  9. Adaleta Avdić wrote:

Your pup is the cutest! Adjusting to a new home and new pup can definitely be a lot. Hopefully you can get back into the swing of things in August.

Posted 8.8.19 Reply
  10. caleyjaderosenberg wrote:

What a busy but fun month for you – so excited for this transition into your home and with little Avett!
    Meeting Cate Blanchett… Wow! x

Posted 8.15.19 Reply

• Weekend plan: find Bernadette! 🕶💁🏼‍♀️🌍🎬so beyond thrilled that Where’d You Go Bernadette is officially in theaters TODAY! 🎉 last month I jetted off to Toronto thanks to @bernadettefilm for a once in a lifetime experience. We got to go to an advanced screening of #WheredYouGoBernadette followed by a Q&A with #RichardLinklater and the cast of the movie. It was truly fascinating hearing them talk about @mariasemple’s book to movie adaption, how they related to #Bernadette & all the filming details! I think I’m still reeling from being in the same room as these talented people! And yes, I totally fan girled over meeting & chatting with @sleepinthegardn (PLL FAN 4 LYFE!) 😂

If you loved the book, be sure to see the movie! And if you haven’t read the book yet, definitely add it to your shelf! 📚 #enwreads They did an incredible job adapting this book and maintaining the essence of Bernadette’s witty, exotic character! I think you’ll find yourself relating to Bernadette in *some* way throughout the movie! I loved it - I laughed, I teared up & it’s full of heartwarming moments! Huge thanks to @bernadettefilm for the wonderful weekend in #Toronto! 💙[ad] #cateblanchette #bernadettefilm #troianbellisario
  • We’re one day away from the weekend! 🎉🙌🏻 this late summer look is on the blog today & I’m chatting about how to transition both pieces into fall! 💙 to shop this look you can head to lifewithemilyblog.com or follow me in the @liketoknow.it app, just search emilynwilkinson http://liketk.it/2EbrB #liketkit #LTKunder100 #LTKstyletip #madewell #madewellnc
  • Looking for a great book to add to your reading list?! 📚 Don't worry, I've got ya covered with a new book called #AmericanRoyals! 👸🏻@katharinemcgee’s latest book is one that will suck you right in with a new royal family... and they're located in the USA! 🇺🇸You'll be enthralled with the royals, the scandals, and their family drama! This book publishes on September 3rd, but you can pre-order it now (link in my stories!) and if you submit your receipt you'll get a free tote with your pre-order purchase!  @getunderlined #getunderlined [ad]
US Residents 13+. Ends 9/2/19. See terms at bit.ly/2OqHxz0
  • Happy Monday, friends! 💓 Let’s start the week out right and spread a little kindness, starting with teachers! 👩🏼‍🏫 It’s August which means it’s back-to-school season, so I’ve teamed up with some other influencers to help #clearthelists for teachers and I hope you’ll join me! 📕✏️🖍📌📎📖💌 Please tag any teachers that are underfunded & desperately in need of supplies below. I have a teacher that I’m featuring on my IG Stories & you can see more lists on  @natsnextadventure @ashleyspivey @brooklynblonde1 @lipglossandcrayons
@katiemcrenshaw @lombardandfifth @girlgonechildinnyc @audreymcclellan @dreamingofhomemaking @the_rusticpallet @twindollicious @mellycoy @graceinthecrumbs @sarajanemercer and @mamacoaster. We all love and appreciate our teachers, let’s show them how much! 🍎#BloggersforBetter
  • It’s the weekend! 🎉🙌🏻💙 planning on having a low key weekend & catching up on reading after a crazy week! These were a few of my favorite reads from July! I HIGHLY recommend #MrsEverything & #CityofGirls 📚(all my book reviews are on the blog - link in bio!) http://liketk.it/2DSVd #enwreads
  • To be completely honest, today has been a shit show 🤦🏼‍♀️ My morning started off at 3:15 with a sick pup & continued snow balling until about 5:00 this evening. Some days just get the best of ya & today our animals got the best of me and Nick🤣 luckily they’re both ok 🐶🐱 but man, today was rough and stressful! The highlight of my day was meeting @_happygocurly_ for coffee while she was in town this AM! ☕️ We have never met, but had been friends online for years!  It was like grabbing coffee with an old friend! 👯‍♀️ chin up friends, the weekend is *almost* here!
Shop my outfit by clicking the link in my bio or by following @emilynwilkinson in the @liketoknow.it app http://liketk.it/2DREY #liketkit #LTKunder100 #LTKunder50