July 2019 Monthly Recap

It’s time for another monthly roundup! Take a peek at previous monthly recaps here

Highlights

Did July fly by for anyone else!? This month felt like it was here and gone in a flash. Maybe it felt that way because we didn’t have any sort of semblance between moving & adjusting to having a puppy. While this month wasn’t particularly busy with things on our calendar, we had a lot going on personally! To be completely honest, I have felt really “off” this month and I feel that’s been reflected here… I’m the kind of person who thrives on structure and the lack of structure between the move and trying to get a schedule together for Avett really effected me this month. I’m hoping that August is better and that I can get out of this funk because I don’t like feeling like I’m not my best self, but I think we have all been there before right?!

On a brighter note, at the end of this month I jetted up to Toronto for an early screening of Where’d You Go Bernadette, which comes out in theaters August 16! I jumped at the opportunity because I really enjoyed the book when I read it a few years ago and I always love a good book-to-movie adaption! This opportunity was so fun and unique because not only was it an intimate group for the viewing (I think it was 12 girls) but we also got to sit down with the cast and the director to chat about the film, ask them questions, and just chat! It was a bit surreal to be sitting in the same room as Cate Blanchett, Troian Bellasario and Richard Linklater (among others!) but they were all so kind and personable!

Home

Whew! Our first month in our new home absolutely flew by! We spent the month trying to get things unpacked, organized, and get our house to feel like home! I feel like our lives revolved around unpacking and attempting to organize! I’m proud to say that our hard work paid off though because we only have TWO more boxes left to unpack and they’re not necessities so I’m in no rush ha!

We also did a LOT of yard work this month… whew! I’m tired just thinking about it haha! We cut limbs off of a tree, pressure washed our stone patio, pulled weeds (thanks a lot rain!) and trimmed all of the bushes in our front and back yard. There’s still a lot to do, but some projects are on hold until it’s a bit cooler out.

Avett

I cannot believe that we have had our sweet golden retriever puppy, Avett, for over a month now! He is a little over 12 weeks and I feel like he’s growing so much every day. I seriously came home from Toronto and almost cried because he seemed to have changed so much in the 72 hours I was gone! I can’t even begin to explain the joy he has brought to us this past month.

He is doing so well and is almost fully potty trained! He is a very quick learner and is great at sitting and fetching. He loves Charlie but the sentiment isn’t always reciprocated haha! Charlie is still warming up to Avett, but Avett lives for the times he gets to play with Charlie! We will get there eventually 🙂

Books I read this month

Even through all the chaos of the month I was able to read eight books. My favorites of the month were Mrs. Everything, City of Girls & Summer of ’69! Be sure to check out my July Reading List for all the reviews!

What I purchased

This leopard print dress (picture above) | It was too cute and I can’t wait to wear it into fall!
A floral midi skirt | I have worn this quite a few times since getting it. I love the colors & think it will be cute with a light sweater or denim jacket when it cools off.
The coziest cardigan of all time | Seriously, it’s SO soft. I have worn it around the house and when I went to Toronto this month!
A cashmere kimono | This will be perfect for cooler weather! I can’t wait to wear this with OTK boots.

Favorite blog posts on Life with Emily

Our Big Life Update | It was so exciting to finally share the news of buying our first home!
#NSale Purchases I Own | My honest thoughts on the Nordstrom Sale & why I don’t heavily promote it.

Current favorites on repeat

• BEAUTY: It Cosmetics CC+ Cream has been a long-time favorite but I always love it in the summer. A perfect “no makeup makeup” look!
  • CLOTHING: I got this cardigan this month and have loved it for traveling & around the house. It is SO soft!
  • TV SHOWS: I’m so happy that Million Dollar Listing: New York is back! We love watching that show together! Most of our other shows are about to end, so any suggestions are welcome!
  • PODCAST: I recently started To Live and Die in LA and it’s good so far! I also loved the BOTM episode on Sarah’s Book Shelves!
  • AUDIOBIOOK: I started Next Year in Havana but haven’t gotten very far into it yet!
  • CURRENTLY READING: I’m in the midst of reading The Most Fun We Ever Had and Tell Me Everything! SO far I’m really enjoying both! I haven’t been able to read as much as I want thanks to a cute four-legged friend ha!

Here’s to hoping August is great for everyone! Thanks for stopping by! xx

1. Rachel wrote:

I read Mrs. Everything in July, too, and it was so good!! Adding Summer of ’69 to my reading list!

Rachel

Posted 8.6.19 Reply
  2. Lizzie wrote:

What a great round up! It sounds like you had a busy but fulfilling month!

Lizzie

Posted 8.6.19 Reply
  3. Mandi wrote:

Moving threw me off EVERY routine. Like you, I thrive on structure and routine. Getting back into has been hard and shaking off the funk has taken longer than I’d like to admit. BUT here’s to a new month and feeling better! Thanks for keeping it all real ❤️

Posted 8.6.19 Reply
  4. Diana Pearl wrote:

I’m dying to read all the books you read this month! And how cool to meet Cate Blanchett!!!

x Diana

Posted 8.6.19 Reply
  5. Olivia wrote:

Such a great post! Good luck w everything!

Posted 8.6.19 Reply
  6. Mary Kate wrote:

Love your posts – as always! I am really enjoying the Chef’s Line on Netflix right now. If you enjoy Chopped or British Bake Off you’ll love!

Posted 8.6.19 Reply
  7. sarah lindner wrote:

Loved the post, Avett looks like such a sweety
    Xoxo
    Sarah Lindner

Posted 8.7.19 Reply
  8. Nailil wrote:

You seem to have had a great month. Congratulations on your new home!

Xx, Nailil
    thirtyminusone.com

Posted 8.7.19 Reply
  9. Adaleta Avdić wrote:

Your pup is the cutest! Adjusting to a new home and new pup can definitely be a lot. Hopefully you can get back into the swing of things in August.

Posted 8.8.19 Reply
  10. caleyjaderosenberg wrote:

What a busy but fun month for you – so excited for this transition into your home and with little Avett!
    Meeting Cate Blanchett… Wow! x

Posted 8.15.19 Reply

• Let’s chat BABY REGISTRY! 👶🏻 we are working on finishing up our baby registry & would love to know your “must have” items, any items we should be sure to add AND the items that you registered for but never ended up using! 🙌🏻🤰🏼 let’s help all the moms to be out! http://liketk.it/2MzqD #LTKbaby #LTKbump #babyregistry #dockatot #buybuybaby #monicaandandy
  • We made it to Friday 🙌🏻 I’m having my coffee & getting some work in so I can relax a bit this weekend! The weather here is gorgeous so I’m hoping to get outside this weekend too ☀️😊💙 I’m sharing a roundup of my cozy at home essentials on lifewithemilyblog.com today! Linking everything in the @liketoknow.it app here: http://liketk.it/2Mp9u #liketkit #StayHomeWithLTK #LTKunder100 #LTKhome #24weekspregnant #pregnantblogger #loungewear
  • A little mid-week floral happiness for ya! 🌸 hows everyone doing this week? I’m having a pretty good week so far - sharing a few things I’m thankful for this week:
• a loving, supportive husband! I haven’t been out of the house in 2+ weeks & he’s made sure I have everything I need!
• neighborhood walks, they’re good for the soul & a great way to recharge.
• a great support system near & far keeping me encouraged!
• the ability to catch up with friends! 👩🏼‍💻Had a great zoom call with my #bloggersdotravel girls @mystylevita @glitterandgingham @kristinchambless & @poorlittleitgirl today!
• my endless pile of books that I want to read! 📚I’ve enjoyed unplugging and reading every day. #booksconnectus

share what you’re thankful for this week! 💙 http://liketk.it/2Mlh5 #liketkit #LTKhome #floralarrangement
  • 24 weeks with our baby boy🤰🏼💙 it’s crazy to think we get to meet him in just 16 weeks, it feels like this pregnancy has flown by! 👶🏻I feel grateful that I have had a healthy & happy pregnancy but, to be honest, the last few weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions. As a first time mom, I have these feelings of immense sadness as the last half of this pregnancy is going to be nothing like I had envisioned. There have been a lot of tears over the fact that many exciting moments can no longer be shared with those closest to us. I know others have it much, much worse but I’ve learned it’s ok to be sad & to feel these emotions. I’m upset that I am no longer able to have a baby shower to celebrate our first born, I’m sad I don’t get to hug our family and watch their faces as they see my growing bump. I’m upset that these last few months of just the two of us look completely different - more time spent in our house quarantined and less time having date nights at our favorite spots and doing the things we want before baby arrives. I mourn the fact that our families may not get to meet our baby boy in the hospital the way we always talked about. But with any situation, I have cried it out (a lot) and decided to take it one day at a time and to find joy in each day💙 And ya know what? There’s a lot of joy amidst the chaos. It brings me so much joy to feel his daily movement (and my heart nearly burst when Nick felt him kick for the first time).🥰I am overjoyed that we have such a strong support system near and far. I love that we get to spend more time at home spoiling our fur babies. I find solace knowing that there are so many pregnant mamas out there feeling these exact emotions & we share a common experience and bond! I am grateful for those that are on the front lines caring for everyone. I know we have the best doctors carrying us through this uncertain time. We are strong mamas and we will get through this! 💕 so, I challenge you to find the join in each day no matter your situation! #24weekspregnant #24weeks #pregnancy #2ndtrimester #stylethebump #bumpstyle #pregnant #pregnantduringcovid19 #pregnantblogger #thebump #boymom #expecting #expectingmom
  • Thinking back on a time when I got dressed (in something other than leggings) & was able to leave my house 💙🙈🤣 Anyone else going a bit stir crazy?! 🏡 I think I’m going to put on this @sailtosable dress on Friday & have an in-house date night to feel a lil fancy! 😊 shop this look here + linking a few of their dresses that are on sale! http://liketk.it/2M21a @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKspring #sailtosable #sailtosablepartner
  • Anyone else been reading more lately? 📚 Reading is my favorite form of self-care & now more than ever I'm leaning on books during this stressful time we're in. 🤓Reading before bed lets me unwind and relax! I'm teaming up with @penguinrandomhouse to challenge you to read 10-30 minutes before bed as part of their #ReadtoSleep campaign! March is National Sleep Awareness month so put your phone down & pick up a book for the next few weeks and give yourself a much needed break! 💙 [ad]

p.s. they have a great giveaway going on with @parachutehome where you can win 25 books of your choice (OMG!) and a cozy bedding set from Parachute! Find out how to enter on my stories!

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. US Residents, 18+. Enter ‪between 1/15/20 and 3/31/20‬. See Official Rules at ‪bit.ly/2sgzc6U‬