July 2019 Monthly Recap

It’s time for another monthly roundup! Take a peek at previous monthly recaps here

Highlights

Did July fly by for anyone else!? This month felt like it was here and gone in a flash. Maybe it felt that way because we didn’t have any sort of semblance between moving & adjusting to having a puppy. While this month wasn’t particularly busy with things on our calendar, we had a lot going on personally! To be completely honest, I have felt really “off” this month and I feel that’s been reflected here… I’m the kind of person who thrives on structure and the lack of structure between the move and trying to get a schedule together for Avett really effected me this month. I’m hoping that August is better and that I can get out of this funk because I don’t like feeling like I’m not my best self, but I think we have all been there before right?!

On a brighter note, at the end of this month I jetted up to Toronto for an early screening of Where’d You Go Bernadette, which comes out in theaters August 16! I jumped at the opportunity because I really enjoyed the book when I read it a few years ago and I always love a good book-to-movie adaption! This opportunity was so fun and unique because not only was it an intimate group for the viewing (I think it was 12 girls) but we also got to sit down with the cast and the director to chat about the film, ask them questions, and just chat! It was a bit surreal to be sitting in the same room as Cate Blanchett, Troian Bellasario and Richard Linklater (among others!) but they were all so kind and personable!

Home

Whew! Our first month in our new home absolutely flew by! We spent the month trying to get things unpacked, organized, and get our house to feel like home! I feel like our lives revolved around unpacking and attempting to organize! I’m proud to say that our hard work paid off though because we only have TWO more boxes left to unpack and they’re not necessities so I’m in no rush ha!

We also did a LOT of yard work this month… whew! I’m tired just thinking about it haha! We cut limbs off of a tree, pressure washed our stone patio, pulled weeds (thanks a lot rain!) and trimmed all of the bushes in our front and back yard. There’s still a lot to do, but some projects are on hold until it’s a bit cooler out.

Avett

I cannot believe that we have had our sweet golden retriever puppy, Avett, for over a month now! He is a little over 12 weeks and I feel like he’s growing so much every day. I seriously came home from Toronto and almost cried because he seemed to have changed so much in the 72 hours I was gone! I can’t even begin to explain the joy he has brought to us this past month.

He is doing so well and is almost fully potty trained! He is a very quick learner and is great at sitting and fetching. He loves Charlie but the sentiment isn’t always reciprocated haha! Charlie is still warming up to Avett, but Avett lives for the times he gets to play with Charlie! We will get there eventually 🙂

Books I read this month

Even through all the chaos of the month I was able to read eight books. My favorites of the month were Mrs. Everything, City of Girls & Summer of ’69! Be sure to check out my July Reading List for all the reviews!

What I purchased

This leopard print dress (picture above) | It was too cute and I can’t wait to wear it into fall!
A floral midi skirt | I have worn this quite a few times since getting it. I love the colors & think it will be cute with a light sweater or denim jacket when it cools off.
The coziest cardigan of all time | Seriously, it’s SO soft. I have worn it around the house and when I went to Toronto this month!
A cashmere kimono | This will be perfect for cooler weather! I can’t wait to wear this with OTK boots.

Favorite blog posts on Life with Emily

Our Big Life Update | It was so exciting to finally share the news of buying our first home!
#NSale Purchases I Own | My honest thoughts on the Nordstrom Sale & why I don’t heavily promote it.

Current favorites on repeat

• BEAUTY: It Cosmetics CC+ Cream has been a long-time favorite but I always love it in the summer. A perfect “no makeup makeup” look!
  • CLOTHING: I got this cardigan this month and have loved it for traveling & around the house. It is SO soft!
  • TV SHOWS: I’m so happy that Million Dollar Listing: New York is back! We love watching that show together! Most of our other shows are about to end, so any suggestions are welcome!
  • PODCAST: I recently started To Live and Die in LA and it’s good so far! I also loved the BOTM episode on Sarah’s Book Shelves!
  • AUDIOBIOOK: I started Next Year in Havana but haven’t gotten very far into it yet!
  • CURRENTLY READING: I’m in the midst of reading The Most Fun We Ever Had and Tell Me Everything! SO far I’m really enjoying both! I haven’t been able to read as much as I want thanks to a cute four-legged friend ha!

Here’s to hoping August is great for everyone! Thanks for stopping by! xx

1. Rachel wrote:

I read Mrs. Everything in July, too, and it was so good!! Adding Summer of ’69 to my reading list!

Rachel

Posted 8.6.19 Reply
  2. Lizzie wrote:

What a great round up! It sounds like you had a busy but fulfilling month!

Lizzie

Posted 8.6.19 Reply
  3. Mandi wrote:

Moving threw me off EVERY routine. Like you, I thrive on structure and routine. Getting back into has been hard and shaking off the funk has taken longer than I’d like to admit. BUT here’s to a new month and feeling better! Thanks for keeping it all real ❤️

Posted 8.6.19 Reply
  4. Diana Pearl wrote:

I’m dying to read all the books you read this month! And how cool to meet Cate Blanchett!!!

x Diana

Posted 8.6.19 Reply
  5. Olivia wrote:

Such a great post! Good luck w everything!

Posted 8.6.19 Reply
  6. Mary Kate wrote:

Love your posts – as always! I am really enjoying the Chef’s Line on Netflix right now. If you enjoy Chopped or British Bake Off you’ll love!

Posted 8.6.19 Reply
  7. sarah lindner wrote:

Loved the post, Avett looks like such a sweety
    Xoxo
    Sarah Lindner

Posted 8.7.19 Reply
  8. Nailil wrote:

You seem to have had a great month. Congratulations on your new home!

Xx, Nailil
    thirtyminusone.com

Posted 8.7.19 Reply
  9. Adaleta Avdić wrote:

Your pup is the cutest! Adjusting to a new home and new pup can definitely be a lot. Hopefully you can get back into the swing of things in August.

Posted 8.8.19 Reply
  10. caleyjaderosenberg wrote:

What a busy but fun month for you – so excited for this transition into your home and with little Avett!
    Meeting Cate Blanchett… Wow! x

Posted 8.15.19 Reply

• There’s still a few hours to shop @serenaandlily’s 25% off sale! 🎉 It’s a great time to get home gifts for those you love (and maybe a few items for yourself, too!) I grabbed a few sets of these coaster sets to give as gifts this holiday season! 💙 Shop the coasters, tray & a few other SL products I own and love here: http://liketk.it/2HMdm @liketoknow.it #liketkit #ltkhome #serenaandlily #slpartner #giftidea #homedecor #homegifts
  • Our 2019 holiday cards arrived from @zola & we love them! ❤️ we went with simple this year (and even used a self-timer to take the pic!) and the customization process with Zola was incredibly simple as well! 🙌🏻 you can get your holiday cards 50% off with code ZOLAHOLIDAY50 🙌🏻✨🎄#Zola #zolaholiday #christmascards
  • ‘Tis the season!🎄hope you all had a great holiday yesterday! I’m now in full Christmas mode (let’s be real, our house has been decorated for a few weeks now haha!) ✨ we got a second tree this year & I’m so in love with our @kingofchristmas flocked tree! Get a discount with code EmilyNWilkinson 💙 shop everything here (my top & jeans are on sale!) http://liketk.it/2Hz62 @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKholidayathome #blackfriday #holidaydecor #kingofchristmas #blackfridaysale #abercrombiestyle #christmasdecor
  • Wishing you a very happy Thanksgiving from our family (+ Charlie, not pictured!) to yours! Love, the Wilkinsons 💙 thankful for all of you, all of the friendships made & all that’s to come! #thanksgiving #happythanksgiving #goldenretrieverpuppy
  • Happy Thanksgiving Eve! ❤️ spending the evening prepping for our first Thanksgiving in our home! Right now we’re taking a break and watching #acharliebrownthanksgiving! 🦃 no matter how old we are, it’s a tradition we both grew up with & enjoy! Hope y’all have a great day with family tomorrow - thankful for you alllll! 😘 p.s. my sweater & blazer are 40% off right now! Shop it here: http://liketk.it/2HtCH photo: @morgansmythephotography @liketoknow.it #liketkit #happythanksgiving #thanksgivingoutfit #thanksgivingflowers #talbots #blackfridaysale #blackfridaysales
  • Happy Thanksgiving Week! 🦃 I’m looking forward to spending time with family & eating alllll the food! 😋 if you’re looking for gifts for the person who loves to entertain or the host of a holiday party I have a comprehensive gift guide live on the blog, including this chic personalized wine tote from @barringtongifts! 🍷 shop everything here: http://liketk.it/2HmTy @liketoknow.it #liketkit #barringtongifts #winetote #hostessgift #giftideasforher #familygiftideas #giftguide #barrington