My Monthly Recap – Jan. 2020

Highlights

January is *finally* over, y’all! Did it feel like this month lasted forever to anyone else?! I’m really looking forward to a new month & to see what February has in store for us! January was a pretty great month. We started off the new year in Aruba (blog post coming next week!) and we couldn’t have asked for a better trip or better weather! When we got back home I was in full organization mode! We swiftly took down all the holiday decor & did a big purge, which was a great way to start the new year!

olive swimsuit

Home

This month we finally finished the touch ups on our dining room! Between Nick traveling for work, me being pregnant & the holidays this project stretched out far longer than we intended it to! We are waiting on two more items to arrive and then I’ll be sharing full details! It is such a transformation!

We also switched out lighting in our upstairs and downstairs hallways. We ordered these semi-flush mount lights and they look so good! We had what I call the “builder basic” lights and they provided zero light and were so cheap looking! It’s amazing how small changes make a big difference.

Books I read this month

January was a great month of reading for me! I always read a lot when on vacation, so I got a head start on my goal for the year! I ended up reading 8 books & I’ll be sharing those next week! You can see the books I have read so far in my Amazon shop.

What I purchased

I didn’t purchase a whole lot this month, actually! I did more purging than purchasing!

-I got this swimsuit in black & olive green for our Aruba trip and it worked perfectly! I ordered a medium long (I have a long torso) to accommodate my growing body! I loved the one pieces for Aruba because I felt heavy but also didn’t look pregnant quite yet ha!
-I ordered my favorite sunglasses because I lost mine somewhere! These are my favorite and I always get compliments on them!
-I also got these leggings to try because my go-to lululemon leggings have a lot of compression in them & weren’t fitting great anymore! For the price, they’re pretty good quality. I definitely still prefer lululemon but these are a great affordable alternative!

Baby Wilkinson

This month we shared the exciting news that we are expecting!!! It still feels a little surreal, but after holding onto this secret for quite some time, it was such a relief to share it with everyone! In January we had our first trimester ultrasound and heartbeat check. We had our first ultrasound at week 7, so Nick and I were both in awe at how much our baby had grown in just five weeks! Our little baby was moving around like crazy during the ultrasound and we got to count all of their fingers and toes! A few weeks later we went back for a heartbeat check. There is truly nothing better than hearing the heartbeat!

7 week ultrasound

Favorite blog posts on Life with Emily

My favorite books of 2019 | if you’re looking for a great book, I rounded up all of my favorite books I read this year!
My favorite things 2019 | I shared all the things I purchased this year that I ended up loving!
Our next chapter… we’re having a baby! | Undoubtedly one of the best blog posts I have ever pressed publish on. So excited for our growing family!!

Favorite posts I read this month

A day in the life of a blogger | ever wonder what a bloggers days look like? Jess breaks it down a bit for you!
Nursery inspiration | I love Cathy’s inspiration for Baby P’s room! I haven’t even started thinking about nursery function & decor yet, but loved looking at hers!
Best of beauty 2019 | Shelby is always my go-to when it comes to fun beauty products!
Floridian Citrus Bridal Shower | My friend Kristin is a magician when it comes to event planning. I am so inspired by her talent & this bridal shower for her bestie was incredible!

Current favorites on repeat

• BEAUTY: My lips have been so dry this winter, so I have been reaching for this lip balm 24/7!
  • CLOTHING: I have been living in this military jacket! It’s the perfect layering piece.
  • TV SHOWS: We started watching Schitt’s Creek in December and it is hilarious! We are now watching season 6 & I don’t want it to end!
  • AUDIOBIOOK: I am currently doing a mix of reading & listening to The Beantown Girls for our book club next week!
  • CURRENTLY READING: I am reading Just Mercy and it’s a great story. I can’t wait to see the movie, it has gotten fantastic reviews!

1. Rach wrote:

The citrus baby shower is too cute! And I will check out the book Just Mercy!

Posted 1.31.20 Reply
  2. rebecca piersol wrote:

way to bury the lead on the pregnancy!!!! that is SO exciting and your trip to Aruba looked amazing as well.

Posted 1.31.20 Reply
  3. Mariah wrote:

Yessss! This month lasted sooo long! The weeks felt really long too.

So excited for the baby! Also hate losing my sunglasses…it happens too often for me lol

XO
    Mariah

Posted 1.31.20 Reply
  4. Lizzie wrote:

You had the BEST month!! Love following along and so very excited about your big announcement! Congrats again!

Lizzie

Posted 1.31.20 Reply
  5. mystylevita wrote:

Such an exciting month! So excited for you two. And thanks for including my life of a blogger post!

xo Jessica
    My Style Vita

Posted 1.31.20 Reply
  6. Kileen wrote:

Sounds like you had a great month already! I hope the rest of the year is just as great!!

Kileen

Posted 2.1.20 Reply

Your January sounds like it was a whirlwind of excitement. Traveling, baby, and more! I’m so happy for you and I can’t wait to see how things change over the coming months. I love love your swimsuit purchase, and I now have those leggings on my wishlist.

Posted 2.2.20 Reply
  8. Greta wrote:

Congrats on baby W! Can’t wait to read about your pregnancy style and nursery!

Posted 2.2.20 Reply
  9. Great way to start off the new year for sure! I’ll take a tropical vacation to kick a fresh year off anytime! Looks like you had a productive and awesome month! xoxo, Sarah

Posted 2.3.20 Reply
  10. Laura Leigh wrote:

Oh I am just so excited for y’all!!! I cannot wait to follow this journey. Definitely seems likee a very good month!

xo Laura Leigh

Posted 2.3.20 Reply
  11. Lydia wrote:

Sounds like you got the year started off right! Good for you on doing some purging, nothing like a fresh start!

Posted 2.4.20 Reply
  12. Oh my! Looks like you had the best month ever! Congrats on your pregnancy!

Posted 2.4.20 Reply

• A little mid-week floral happiness for ya! 🌸 hows everyone doing this week? I’m having a pretty good week so far - sharing a few things I’m thankful for this week:
• a loving, supportive husband! I haven’t been out of the house in 2+ weeks & he’s made sure I have everything I need!
• neighborhood walks, they’re good for the soul & a great way to recharge.
• a great support system near & far keeping me encouraged!
• the ability to catch up with friends! 👩🏼‍💻Had a great zoom call with my #bloggersdotravel girls @mystylevita @glitterandgingham @kristinchambless & @poorlittleitgirl today!
• my endless pile of books that I want to read! 📚I’ve enjoyed unplugging and reading every day. #booksconnectus

share what you’re thankful for this week! 💙 http://liketk.it/2Mlh5 #liketkit #LTKhome #floralarrangement
  • 24 weeks with our baby boy🤰🏼💙 it’s crazy to think we get to meet him in just 16 weeks, it feels like this pregnancy has flown by! 👶🏻I feel grateful that I have had a healthy & happy pregnancy but, to be honest, the last few weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions. As a first time mom, I have these feelings of immense sadness as the last half of this pregnancy is going to be nothing like I had envisioned. There have been a lot of tears over the fact that many exciting moments can no longer be shared with those closest to us. I know others have it much, much worse but I’ve learned it’s ok to be sad & to feel these emotions. I’m upset that I am no longer able to have a baby shower to celebrate our first born, I’m sad I don’t get to hug our family and watch their faces as they see my growing bump. I’m upset that these last few months of just the two of us look completely different - more time spent in our house quarantined and less time having date nights at our favorite spots and doing the things we want before baby arrives. I mourn the fact that our families may not get to meet our baby boy in the hospital the way we always talked about. But with any situation, I have cried it out (a lot) and decided to take it one day at a time and to find joy in each day💙 And ya know what? There’s a lot of joy amidst the chaos. It brings me so much joy to feel his daily movement (and my heart nearly burst when Nick felt him kick for the first time).🥰I am overjoyed that we have such a strong support system near and far. I love that we get to spend more time at home spoiling our fur babies. I find solace knowing that there are so many pregnant mamas out there feeling these exact emotions & we share a common experience and bond! I am grateful for those that are on the front lines caring for everyone. I know we have the best doctors carrying us through this uncertain time. We are strong mamas and we will get through this! 💕 so, I challenge you to find the join in each day no matter your situation! #24weekspregnant #24weeks #pregnancy #2ndtrimester #stylethebump #bumpstyle #pregnant #pregnantduringcovid19 #pregnantblogger #thebump #boymom #expecting #expectingmom
  • Thinking back on a time when I got dressed (in something other than leggings) & was able to leave my house 💙🙈🤣 Anyone else going a bit stir crazy?! 🏡 I think I’m going to put on this @sailtosable dress on Friday & have an in-house date night to feel a lil fancy! 😊 shop this look here + linking a few of their dresses that are on sale! http://liketk.it/2M21a @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKspring #sailtosable #sailtosablepartner
  • Anyone else been reading more lately? 📚 Reading is my favorite form of self-care & now more than ever I'm leaning on books during this stressful time we're in. 🤓Reading before bed lets me unwind and relax! I'm teaming up with @penguinrandomhouse to challenge you to read 10-30 minutes before bed as part of their #ReadtoSleep campaign! March is National Sleep Awareness month so put your phone down & pick up a book for the next few weeks and give yourself a much needed break! 💙 [ad]

p.s. they have a great giveaway going on with @parachutehome where you can win 25 books of your choice (OMG!) and a cozy bedding set from Parachute! Find out how to enter on my stories!

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. US Residents, 18+. Enter ‪between 1/15/20 and 3/31/20‬. See Official Rules at ‪bit.ly/2sgzc6U‬
  • How’s everyone doing? 💙 I’m taking it one day (heck, sometimes one hour!) at a time this week!

Here are a few things I’m grateful for:
• Getting to check on our baby boy👶🏻& hear his heartbeat today!
• That I am able to work from home & have some sense of normalcy through all of this👩🏼‍💻.
• Those who are working & caring for others (including doctors, nurses, delivery drivers, those who work at grocery stores & restaurants handling takeout).
• Having this community to chat with through the good & bad days! It’s been so nice connecting with all of you via DM (especially those who are pregnant or new moms!) as we juggle this new “normal.”
Shop today’s casual outfit here or at the link in my bio http://liketk.it/2LMWs @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKbump #LTKunder100 #bumpstyle #stylethebump #ingridandisabel #everydaymadewell #pregnantblogger #pregnancy #expectingmom #boymom #secondtrimester #2ndtrimester #momtobe #22weekspregnant
  • Hi friends 👋🏻It’s a new week & I’m going into it with a positive attitude (that’s all we can hope for at this point, right?) 💙I’m social distancing & self quarantining in an effort to “flatten the curve.” We spent the weekend going on walks with our pup🐶, getting in a lot of reading📚, binging Love is Blind📺 and cooking some of our favorite meals🍽! We’re trying to remain positive & do the best we can to protect ourselves and others 😊 p.s. I am *loving* this dress (wearing XS) & it’s bump approved - swipe to see a pic of my #22weekspregnant bump! http://liketk.it/2LDxv @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKspring #LTKbump #bumpstyle #stylethebump #pregnantblogger #22weeks #expectingmom #babyontheway #2ndtrimester #bumpfriendly