My Monthly Recap – Jan. 2020

Highlights

January is *finally* over, y’all! Did it feel like this month lasted forever to anyone else?! I’m really looking forward to a new month & to see what February has in store for us! January was a pretty great month. We started off the new year in Aruba (blog post coming next week!) and we couldn’t have asked for a better trip or better weather! When we got back home I was in full organization mode! We swiftly took down all the holiday decor & did a big purge, which was a great way to start the new year!

olive swimsuit

Home

This month we finally finished the touch ups on our dining room! Between Nick traveling for work, me being pregnant & the holidays this project stretched out far longer than we intended it to! We are waiting on two more items to arrive and then I’ll be sharing full details! It is such a transformation!

We also switched out lighting in our upstairs and downstairs hallways. We ordered these semi-flush mount lights and they look so good! We had what I call the “builder basic” lights and they provided zero light and were so cheap looking! It’s amazing how small changes make a big difference.

Books I read this month

January was a great month of reading for me! I always read a lot when on vacation, so I got a head start on my goal for the year! I ended up reading 8 books & I’ll be sharing those next week! You can see the books I have read so far in my Amazon shop.

What I purchased

I didn’t purchase a whole lot this month, actually! I did more purging than purchasing!

-I got this swimsuit in black & olive green for our Aruba trip and it worked perfectly! I ordered a medium long (I have a long torso) to accommodate my growing body! I loved the one pieces for Aruba because I felt heavy but also didn’t look pregnant quite yet ha!
-I ordered my favorite sunglasses because I lost mine somewhere! These are my favorite and I always get compliments on them!
-I also got these leggings to try because my go-to lululemon leggings have a lot of compression in them & weren’t fitting great anymore! For the price, they’re pretty good quality. I definitely still prefer lululemon but these are a great affordable alternative!

Baby Wilkinson

This month we shared the exciting news that we are expecting!!! It still feels a little surreal, but after holding onto this secret for quite some time, it was such a relief to share it with everyone! In January we had our first trimester ultrasound and heartbeat check. We had our first ultrasound at week 7, so Nick and I were both in awe at how much our baby had grown in just five weeks! Our little baby was moving around like crazy during the ultrasound and we got to count all of their fingers and toes! A few weeks later we went back for a heartbeat check. There is truly nothing better than hearing the heartbeat!

7 week ultrasound

Favorite blog posts on Life with Emily

My favorite books of 2019 | if you’re looking for a great book, I rounded up all of my favorite books I read this year!
My favorite things 2019 | I shared all the things I purchased this year that I ended up loving!
Our next chapter… we’re having a baby! | Undoubtedly one of the best blog posts I have ever pressed publish on. So excited for our growing family!!

Favorite posts I read this month

A day in the life of a blogger | ever wonder what a bloggers days look like? Jess breaks it down a bit for you!
Nursery inspiration | I love Cathy’s inspiration for Baby P’s room! I haven’t even started thinking about nursery function & decor yet, but loved looking at hers!
Best of beauty 2019 | Shelby is always my go-to when it comes to fun beauty products!
Floridian Citrus Bridal Shower | My friend Kristin is a magician when it comes to event planning. I am so inspired by her talent & this bridal shower for her bestie was incredible!

Current favorites on repeat

• BEAUTY: My lips have been so dry this winter, so I have been reaching for this lip balm 24/7!
  • CLOTHING: I have been living in this military jacket! It’s the perfect layering piece.
  • TV SHOWS: We started watching Schitt’s Creek in December and it is hilarious! We are now watching season 6 & I don’t want it to end!
  • AUDIOBIOOK: I am currently doing a mix of reading & listening to The Beantown Girls for our book club next week!
  • CURRENTLY READING: I am reading Just Mercy and it’s a great story. I can’t wait to see the movie, it has gotten fantastic reviews!

1. Rach wrote:

The citrus baby shower is too cute! And I will check out the book Just Mercy!

Posted 1.31.20 Reply
  2. rebecca piersol wrote:

way to bury the lead on the pregnancy!!!! that is SO exciting and your trip to Aruba looked amazing as well.

Posted 1.31.20 Reply
  3. Mariah wrote:

Yessss! This month lasted sooo long! The weeks felt really long too.

So excited for the baby! Also hate losing my sunglasses…it happens too often for me lol

XO
    Mariah

Posted 1.31.20 Reply
  4. Lizzie wrote:

You had the BEST month!! Love following along and so very excited about your big announcement! Congrats again!

Lizzie

Posted 1.31.20 Reply
  5. mystylevita wrote:

Such an exciting month! So excited for you two. And thanks for including my life of a blogger post!

xo Jessica
    My Style Vita

Posted 1.31.20 Reply
  6. Kileen wrote:

Sounds like you had a great month already! I hope the rest of the year is just as great!!

Kileen

Posted 2.1.20 Reply

Your January sounds like it was a whirlwind of excitement. Traveling, baby, and more! I’m so happy for you and I can’t wait to see how things change over the coming months. I love love your swimsuit purchase, and I now have those leggings on my wishlist.

Posted 2.2.20 Reply
  8. Greta wrote:

Congrats on baby W! Can’t wait to read about your pregnancy style and nursery!

Posted 2.2.20 Reply
  9. Great way to start off the new year for sure! I’ll take a tropical vacation to kick a fresh year off anytime! Looks like you had a productive and awesome month! xoxo, Sarah

Posted 2.3.20 Reply
  10. Laura Leigh wrote:

Oh I am just so excited for y’all!!! I cannot wait to follow this journey. Definitely seems likee a very good month!

xo Laura Leigh

Posted 2.3.20 Reply
  11. Lydia wrote:

Sounds like you got the year started off right! Good for you on doing some purging, nothing like a fresh start!

Posted 2.4.20 Reply
  12. Oh my! Looks like you had the best month ever! Congrats on your pregnancy!

Posted 2.4.20 Reply

• It’s GENDER REVEAL day!💙👶🏻💕We’re having our families over today to find out the gender of our little baby & we are SO excited! I’m sharing some of the results of old wives tales - what do you think we’re having a BOY or GIRL?! 👶🏻
....
1. No morning sickness 💙
2. Chinese calendar says girl 💕
3. The ring test says boy 💙
4. Heartbeat over 150 means girl 💕
5. Having dry hands is sign of a boy & mine have been a bit dry💙
6. Pregnancy acne means girl💕
7. Calm= girl, clumsy=boy - I have been SO clumsy lately💙
8. Having headaches is a sign of a boy - I have had BAD ones💙
9. Craving salty=boy, sweets=girl - I tend to crave both so 💕or💙
10. Feeling more cold means boy, feeling more warm means girl - I have been cold 24/7 💙
11. Moody means girl, calm means boy - Nick would says I’ve been a bit moody 🤣💕
....
Shop my dress: http://liketk.it/2KGdj @liketoknow.it #ltkunder50 #stylethebump
#gendereveal #genderrevealparty #pregnancyannouncement #wereexpecting #oldwivestales #pregnant #18weeks #boyorgirl #heorshe #parentstobe #momanddadtobe #pregnantblogger
  • Sharing our dining room transformation on lifewithemilyblog.com 💙 swipe to see the before photo (from when we viewed the property!)
.....
so what did we do? 🧰
-added wainscoting (huge thanks to my dad!) 🙌🏻
-painted the trim white
-added a bold color to the walls thanks to @clarepaint! The color is Goodnight Moon & it’s the perfect true navy with no undertones!
-swapped out the light fixture
-refinished the sideboard
.....
We are so happy with the transformation & how the space turned out!
#enwhome #homeimprovement #clarepaint #shareyourclare #diningroom #diy #diyprojects
  • It’s another rainy day here (we’re on day 7163 I’m pretty sure!) 💦 I’m currently wishing for warmer days & shorts weather! 🌴 my post from Aruba is live - complete with where to eat/drink along with things to see & do! 🌊 #Aruba #onehappyisland #onehappyislandaruba #enwexplores http://liketk.it/2Kw8W #LTKtravel #LTKswim #agolde #aexme #aerieswim #aeriereal
  • Happy Valentine’s Day 💙 We’re celebrating our 10th Valentine’s Day together and our last one as just the two of us! 👩🏼‍🤝‍👨🏻We’re keeping it low-key & cooking a delicious dinner together🍴I love the life we have built together & can’t wait to see you be the cutest, most caring dad 🥰 p.s. swipe to see some throwback pics of us from 2005-ish ... we were babies! 😂 #valentinesday #myforevervalentine
  • AD: It's no secret that I love anything to do with true crime, so when I heard about A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, I knew I just *had* to read it! 📖🕵🏼‍♀️This book reminded me a lot of the Serial podcast & it's safe to say I was instantly hooked! I read this book in 24 hours because I simply couldn't put it down and I had to know how Pip's senior project surrounding the disappearance of Andie Bell played out! If you need another book to add to your list, be sure it's this one! 📚 Sharing more in stories! @GetUnderlined  @hojay92 #GetUnderlined #GetUnderlinedPartner #AGoodGirlsGuidetoMurder
  • 16 weeks with this sweet baby 💙💕 I’m sharing my first trimester recap and a Q&A (answering all your questions from stories!) on lifewithemilyblog.com. Dress linked here: http://liketk.it/2JVy1 #liketkit #LTKbump #LTKunder50 #16weeks #pregnant #werehavingababy #stylethebump #bumpstyle