Best Ways to Spend a Winter Day Inside

I’ll be the first to admit that winter is my least favorite season. But, there’s something to be said about spending cold winter days bundled up inside! In the winter I look forward to the moment when I can change into my pajamas and get cozy inside. Now that the holiday season chaos is mostly behind us, I’m looking forward to spending my days bundled up inside and focusing on self-care a bit! Today I’m sharing a few ways to spend a winter day inside!

Best ways to spend a winter day inside

SPEND THE DAY IN PAJAMAS WATCHING MOVIES | Like I said above, there is nothing better than cozying up in my PJs at the end of the day! One of my favorite things to do in the winter is to stay in my PJs and have a movie marathon day, complete with my gravity blanket! I ordered new pajamas from Serena & Lily a few weeks ago and I can’t get over just how cozy they are! I’m a big fan of pajama sets and this flannel pair are so warm! They’re made with eco-friendly cotton from Portugal and the quality is so nice. I have worn them so often since getting them in the mail.

COZY UP WITH A GOOD BOOK | It’s no secret around here that I am an avid reader! One of my favorite forms of self-care is getting lost in a good book. I find that I read a lot more in the winter. Let’s face it, being out in the freezing cold isn’t appealing! I would much rather cozy up in my PJs with a good book instead! P.S. My December book review will bye up tomorrow!HAVE A SELF-CARE DAY | Winter can be a bit depressing for me (seasonal affective disorder, anyone?!) so I always like to make sure I am taking a bit of time for myself. Self-care comes in all forms – mental, physical, and emotional – and can affect many aspects of your life, even if you don’t realize it.  It’s important to take care of yourself, especially this time of year. A few of my favorite forms of self-care are reading a book, taking a bath, and getting a massage. A day of self-care equals a healthy and happy mind.

TRY A NEW RECIPE | Nick and I really enjoy cooking and trying new dishes! We love experimenting with new pastas, new crockpot meals, and sometimes baking something new. Winter is the perfect time try out a few new hearty recipes you have bookmarked in your cookbook! Nothing better than a comfort meal, especially when it’s cold out!

UNPLUG FOR THE DAY | It feels like I am always attached to my phone, so unplugging is sometimes necessary. Unplugging from my phone and social media is a great way to “reset” and focus on being productive and the things that matter most!

GET ORGANIZED | Sometimes I get a bit of “cabin fever” in the winter. If I don’t want to venture out, I like to go through our house and organize it! It makes me feel productive, I get rid of unnecessary items that we have accumulated & I love the feeling of an organized home!

how do you like to spend winter days?

This post is in partnership with Serena & Lily. All thoughts, writing & styling are my own.

1. Genevieve wrote:

This looks perfect, Emily! I also look forward to hearing your thoughts on Big Lies in a Small Town…I love Diane Chamberlain’s writing so much.

Posted 1.7.20 Reply
    • Emily wrote:

I adore Diane Chamberlain, too! I especially love the North Carolina references! This book should be in my January book review post at the end of the month! xx

Posted 1.7.20 Reply
  2. Caitlin Houston wrote:

I love cooking a new dish when its cold outside!@

Posted 1.7.20 Reply
  3. Hillary Conheady wrote:

Now this is my kind of post!! I definitely need to take advantage of this upcoming weekend to relax and unplug! Totally needed every now and then!

Posted 1.7.20 Reply
  4. Will be spending LOTS of wintry days at home here in New York so I love this post. Thanks for all the great ideas! xoxo, Sarah

Posted 1.7.20 Reply
  5. Rachel Martin wrote:

Winter is my least favorite, too! I seriously avoid spending time outside as much as possible. Love a good day cozied up with a good book!

Rachel

Posted 1.7.20 Reply
  6. Carrington Barfield wrote:

These honestly sound so fun to me! I love staying inside in my PJ’s when it’s cold outside, especially if it’s cold and rainy! Literally nothing better to me! Xx.

Posted 1.7.20 Reply
  7. Lizzie wrote:

Love those cozy PJs and adore these ideas! Saving this post for future reference <3

Lizzie

Posted 1.7.20 Reply
  8. tanvi wrote:

It is snowing outside – I wish I was home right now 🙂 Love the tips.

Posted 1.7.20 Reply
  9. Stephanie Whitman wrote:

These are all things that I’ve been attempting to do for myself this winter. I’ll be honest, I LOVE the winter – the cold is truly spectacular when you hate the heat as much as I do haha. But I will say that the rainy, dreary weather can bring me down sometimes, so finding ways to make the most of it is great!

Posted 1.7.20 Reply
  10. Azanique Rawl wrote:

I love unplugging for the day and catching up a good book. I did that so much over the holidays and it was relaxing for my soul.

Posted 1.7.20 Reply
  11. kileen wrote:

Love this post babe! Love cozy days in on a cold day, trying out a recipe and getting organized is my fave!

Kileen

Posted 1.8.20 Reply
  12. Kristina wrote:

Winter is my least favorite too girl… other than the holidays and skiing lol. Love those pillows too!

Posted 1.11.20 Reply

• A little mid-week floral happiness for ya! 🌸 hows everyone doing this week? I’m having a pretty good week so far - sharing a few things I’m thankful for this week:
• a loving, supportive husband! I haven’t been out of the house in 2+ weeks & he’s made sure I have everything I need!
• neighborhood walks, they’re good for the soul & a great way to recharge.
• a great support system near & far keeping me encouraged!
• the ability to catch up with friends! 👩🏼‍💻Had a great zoom call with my #bloggersdotravel girls @mystylevita @glitterandgingham @kristinchambless & @poorlittleitgirl today!
• my endless pile of books that I want to read! 📚I’ve enjoyed unplugging and reading every day. #booksconnectus

share what you’re thankful for this week! 💙 http://liketk.it/2Mlh5 #liketkit #LTKhome #floralarrangement
  • 24 weeks with our baby boy🤰🏼💙 it’s crazy to think we get to meet him in just 16 weeks, it feels like this pregnancy has flown by! 👶🏻I feel grateful that I have had a healthy & happy pregnancy but, to be honest, the last few weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions. As a first time mom, I have these feelings of immense sadness as the last half of this pregnancy is going to be nothing like I had envisioned. There have been a lot of tears over the fact that many exciting moments can no longer be shared with those closest to us. I know others have it much, much worse but I’ve learned it’s ok to be sad & to feel these emotions. I’m upset that I am no longer able to have a baby shower to celebrate our first born, I’m sad I don’t get to hug our family and watch their faces as they see my growing bump. I’m upset that these last few months of just the two of us look completely different - more time spent in our house quarantined and less time having date nights at our favorite spots and doing the things we want before baby arrives. I mourn the fact that our families may not get to meet our baby boy in the hospital the way we always talked about. But with any situation, I have cried it out (a lot) and decided to take it one day at a time and to find joy in each day💙 And ya know what? There’s a lot of joy amidst the chaos. It brings me so much joy to feel his daily movement (and my heart nearly burst when Nick felt him kick for the first time).🥰I am overjoyed that we have such a strong support system near and far. I love that we get to spend more time at home spoiling our fur babies. I find solace knowing that there are so many pregnant mamas out there feeling these exact emotions & we share a common experience and bond! I am grateful for those that are on the front lines caring for everyone. I know we have the best doctors carrying us through this uncertain time. We are strong mamas and we will get through this! 💕 so, I challenge you to find the join in each day no matter your situation! #24weekspregnant #24weeks #pregnancy #2ndtrimester #stylethebump #bumpstyle #pregnant #pregnantduringcovid19 #pregnantblogger #thebump #boymom #expecting #expectingmom
  • Thinking back on a time when I got dressed (in something other than leggings) & was able to leave my house 💙🙈🤣 Anyone else going a bit stir crazy?! 🏡 I think I’m going to put on this @sailtosable dress on Friday & have an in-house date night to feel a lil fancy! 😊 shop this look here + linking a few of their dresses that are on sale! http://liketk.it/2M21a @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKspring #sailtosable #sailtosablepartner
  • Anyone else been reading more lately? 📚 Reading is my favorite form of self-care & now more than ever I'm leaning on books during this stressful time we're in. 🤓Reading before bed lets me unwind and relax! I'm teaming up with @penguinrandomhouse to challenge you to read 10-30 minutes before bed as part of their #ReadtoSleep campaign! March is National Sleep Awareness month so put your phone down & pick up a book for the next few weeks and give yourself a much needed break! 💙 [ad]

p.s. they have a great giveaway going on with @parachutehome where you can win 25 books of your choice (OMG!) and a cozy bedding set from Parachute! Find out how to enter on my stories!

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. US Residents, 18+. Enter ‪between 1/15/20 and 3/31/20‬. See Official Rules at ‪bit.ly/2sgzc6U‬
  • How’s everyone doing? 💙 I’m taking it one day (heck, sometimes one hour!) at a time this week!

Here are a few things I’m grateful for:
• Getting to check on our baby boy👶🏻& hear his heartbeat today!
• That I am able to work from home & have some sense of normalcy through all of this👩🏼‍💻.
• Those who are working & caring for others (including doctors, nurses, delivery drivers, those who work at grocery stores & restaurants handling takeout).
• Having this community to chat with through the good & bad days! It’s been so nice connecting with all of you via DM (especially those who are pregnant or new moms!) as we juggle this new “normal.”
Shop today’s casual outfit here or at the link in my bio http://liketk.it/2LMWs @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKbump #LTKunder100 #bumpstyle #stylethebump #ingridandisabel #everydaymadewell #pregnantblogger #pregnancy #expectingmom #boymom #secondtrimester #2ndtrimester #momtobe #22weekspregnant
  • Hi friends 👋🏻It’s a new week & I’m going into it with a positive attitude (that’s all we can hope for at this point, right?) 💙I’m social distancing & self quarantining in an effort to “flatten the curve.” We spent the weekend going on walks with our pup🐶, getting in a lot of reading📚, binging Love is Blind📺 and cooking some of our favorite meals🍽! We’re trying to remain positive & do the best we can to protect ourselves and others 😊 p.s. I am *loving* this dress (wearing XS) & it’s bump approved - swipe to see a pic of my #22weekspregnant bump! http://liketk.it/2LDxv @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKspring #LTKbump #bumpstyle #stylethebump #pregnantblogger #22weeks #expectingmom #babyontheway #2ndtrimester #bumpfriendly