Dining Room Transformation (+ Before & After Photos)

It’s hard to believe we have been in our home for almost nine months now! Slowly but surely we have been making changes to make it feel more like home! When we moved in we knew one of the first projects we wanted to tackle (after painting our front door!) was to transform the dining room!

One of the things we liked about this house when we first viewed it was the openness of the downstairs area. The dining room is the one space downstairs that isn’t fully open to another room so we knew this would be a great space to have as our first big project. We started with a blank canvas so to speak and decided to paint the room a bold color! Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the post to see the “before” photos… two from the listing and two as we worked on the room!

We worked with Clare paint to find the perfect bold color for our space. I personally loved that you can sample the paint colors, without all the mess! You can order swatches that are peel-and-stick, which is perfect for making sure you like the color in different lighting. After testing out a few swatches, we landed on Goodnight Moon, a dark navy, for the wall and Fresh Kicks, a neutral white, for the trim! We had all the supplies we needed, thanks to Clare – including paint rollers, trays, painter’s tape, and paint brushes.My dad came up and helped us add wainscoting. Adding the wainscoting made the space more elevated and really helped to transform the room. The wainscoting required quite a bit of logistical thinking and math since every wall is a different size.  Luckily my dad was able to work all of that out (thank goodness, it went WAY over my head!) and make it perfect for us!

We were able to complete this project in three weekends! The trim took three coats and was the longest, most tedious part of the project. The navy paint took three coats. The paint went on so smooth and dried well! We couldn’t be happier with the way this space turned out!

Why Clare?

Traditional paint stores were incredibly overwhelming to us as the paint possibilities were virtually endless. We knew the color we wanted but couldn’t find the exact one… until we discovered Clare! Their Goodnight Moon was the perfect true navy with no undertones. I liked that their product has no toxic air contaminants or EPA chemicals, has an ultra-low odor and dries quickly. The brand also has a high focus on sustainability which you can read more about here.

ready for the before photos?

The first set of photos are how the dining room looked when we viewed the home (aka this is the old owner’s belonging). We didn’t really get many good “before” photos & these show just how big of an impact paint can have on a room! The second set of photos were taken when my dad was assembling the wainscoting!

room details

dining table & chairs (old) from World Market, similar table, chairs & bench | gallery wall frames | sideboard from Red Collection | clear accent lamp | candlesticks | white pitcher |

this post is in partnership with Clare paint. All thoughts are my own.

1. Kelsea wrote:

Love the transformation! We are in the process of decorating our dining room and we have a chair rail but after seeing your pictures I think we need to add in wainscoting!

Posted 2.20.20 Reply
  2. Francene wrote:

Love love love your dining room. That blue is just perfection. Love it too! We have wainscoting and think it makes a huge difference in how great a room can look with it. Know you will enjoy many meals in the beautiful room in the years to come.

Posted 2.20.20 Reply
  3. Lizzie wrote:

It turned out so beautiful! Love the color and all the gorgeous details! Very luxe!

Lizzie

Posted 2.20.20 Reply
  4. Mariah wrote:

I love the contrast of the dark blue and white. The paneling looks so good all white like that.

XO

Posted 2.20.20 Reply
  5. Nailil wrote:

It looks amazing. I love how simple details made such an impact on the space.

Xx, Nailil

Posted 2.20.20 Reply
  6. Tami wrote:

Wow – what a transformation that it – Love the decor and the furniture.

Posted 2.20.20 Reply
  7. Rene wrote:

Your dining room is elegant and absolutely stunning! Any idea where I may find this cocktail tray?

Posted 2.20.20 Reply
    • Emily wrote:

Hi Rene,
      That tray is a few years old & from Target I believe! It’s no longer available, so unfortunately I can’t link it!

Posted 2.20.20 Reply
  8. Ally wrote:

Wow, what an amazing transformation! Doesn’t even look like the same room. Great job!

Posted 2.20.20 Reply
  9. Laura Leigh wrote:

What a difference!! Love the dark hue – really adds so much to the space. Great pick lady!

xo Laura Leigh

Posted 2.21.20 Reply
  10. I just love the navy walls! Such a transformation…looks so chic and moody! xoxo, Sarah

Posted 2.21.20 Reply
  11. Ada wrote:

It looks really good, and I liked seeing the before and after. You’re transformed the space.

You mentioned the trim took 3 coats, which I do feel is always the trickiest piece but 3 weekends for this isn’t terrible.

We’ve been thinking of redoing my blogging/filming room and it could use some color, so I’m feeling inspired!

Posted 2.21.20 Reply
  12. Katie wrote:

It looks SOOO good! I love the dark blue color. Perfect!!

Posted 2.21.20 Reply
  13. Nicci wrote:

I LOVE the contrast between the navy and white! Where did you get your curtain rods? I didn’t see them listed.

Posted 2.21.20 Reply
    • Emily wrote:

Hi Nicci, I’m not sure where they are from! The old owner left them up and we painted them metallic (they were originally black) to go with our decor! We were going to get new ones but these left pretty large holes so we decided to keep them for now!:)

Posted 2.21.20 Reply

I had a jaw-drop moment when reading that you’ve been in your home for 9 months. I feel like it was just yesterday that you announced your purchase! Gosh – it’s gonna happen again when it comes to baby time too, huh? 😉 Your dining room transformation is incredible! That deep blue is swoon-worthy, for sure. I definitely want to use Clare paint in my future home!

Posted 2.22.20 Reply
  15. Caitlin wrote:

I adore the dark blue walls!!!!!

Posted 2.24.20 Reply
  16. Tinna wrote:

You did a wonderful job transforming this room. I love the navy blue color.

Posted 2.24.20 Reply