Old Wives Tales to Predict Gender

Happy Friday, y’all! Earlier this week we had our 18 week anatomy scan and I’m happy to report our sweet little baby is growing right on schedule and is healthy! Each ultrasound is so special to us, and this one in particular, was great because we got to see everything in detail and confirm that baby W was healthy in all aspects.

This was also the ultrasound that can confirm the gender (!!!!!) We will be finding out if we are having a boy or a girl this weekend and we couldn’t be more thrilled! Our ultrasound tech has been doing this for over 24 years and has never been wrong, so I’m pretty confident that she will be correct ha! That’s not to say the baby made it easy on her – baby was moving like crazy yesterday and we kept having to poke and move my belly around so she could get a good look ha!

I thought it would be fun to share some of our results from the old wives tales that predict gender. Who knows if any of these are accurate in the slightest, but they were fun to do and laugh about with Nick! Honestly, I haven’t had an intuition of what I’m having this whole time. Some days I think it’s 100% a boy and other days I think it’s 100% a girl… I guess we will find out for sure on Saturday!

old wives tales to predict gender

Morning sickness?
no morning sickness or nausea… boy

Craving sweets=girl, salty=boy
I am one who craves both sweet & salty even when not pregnant so could be boy or girl!

Chinese calendar prediction
The Chinese calendar predicts a girl because the baby was conceived in October and will be due in 2020. note: I filled out info on this Chinese calendar and it said boy.

Heartbeat less than 140bpm it’s a boy, over 140bpm it’s a girl
Every time we have checked the heartbeat it has been mid to high 150s, so girl.

Clumsy=boy, calm=girl
I have always been a bit clumsy, but even more so since becoming pregnant, so boy.

Carrying low=boy, high=girl
I’m not sure how I’m carrying quite yet… inconclusive.

Add up the age you were when you conceived + the number of the month you conceived. even=boy, odd=girl
Adding those up the number is 39, so girl.

Having headaches?
They say having headaches means you’re having a boy. I have been having a LOT of headaches, although I have suffered from chronic tension headaches and migraines for years.

Ring test
I tried this test a few times and it spun in a circle, meaning it’s a boy! note: some websites say circles mean girl & back and forth means boy, so who knows! 🙂

Dry hands?
Yes, my hands have been pretty dry, so boy.

any pregnancy acne?
I have had more breakouts & bumps than normal, so girl.

With all of those results, it looks like there are 5 that predict a boy, 4 that predict a girl & 2 that are inconclusive! I cannot wait to find out what we are having, I think it will make everything feel even more real. We already love this baby SO so much and can’t wait for our little one!

So tell me, what do you think we’re having? Girl or boy? And if you’re pregnant or have kids did you use any of these old wives tales to predict your baby’s gender? Were they accurate?!

1. Lizzie wrote:

What a fun idea for a post! My family used to do the ring test 🙂 Can wait to see what you’re having!

Lizzie

Posted 2.21.20 Reply
  2. Kim wrote:

Eeeeek! I can’t wait to find out what you are having! The anatomy ultrasound made everything so real for us!

xoxo,
    Kim

Posted 2.21.20 Reply
  3. Maureen wrote:

What a fun post! I can’t wait to find out.

Posted 2.23.20 Reply
  4. Azanique Rawl wrote:

I think boy! I am so excited for you, Emily. You will be the best mama 🙂

Posted 2.23.20 Reply
  5. Lydia wrote:

While this doesn’t work for your first child, my family swears that the gender of baby number two can be determined by the direction of the first child’s hair swirl. Either way, I’m sure you got some very exciting news this weekend!

Posted 2.24.20 Reply
  6. Jamaria wrote:

This is such a fun post! I love these old wives tales and I can’t wait until I have a baby and can do them! I predict girl for you! 🙂 xo

Posted 2.24.20 Reply
  7. Ada wrote:

There’s so many old wives tales but I’ve heard a lot of these (surprisingly enough!)

I am intrigued to find out if it’s a boy or girl since you have almost the same for each. 5 to 4 is pretty close, eek!

Posted 2.24.20 Reply
  8. haha, i love this. My bff is currently expecting and I hear these things all the time. It’s so fun though! xoxo, Sarah

Posted 2.25.20 Reply
  9. Jackie wrote:

Haha I tried all of these also! I can’t wait to hear what you’re having!!!

Posted 2.25.20 Reply
  10. Laura Leigh wrote:

What a fun post idea Emily! Absolutely loved reading each one. Seems the wives tales did pretty good predicting!

xo Laura Leigh

Posted 2.25.20 Reply

• Let’s chat BABY REGISTRY! 👶🏻 we are working on finishing up our baby registry & would love to know your “must have” items, any items we should be sure to add AND the items that you registered for but never ended up using! 🙌🏻🤰🏼 let’s help all the moms to be out! http://liketk.it/2MzqD #LTKbaby #LTKbump #babyregistry #dockatot #buybuybaby #monicaandandy
  • We made it to Friday 🙌🏻 I’m having my coffee & getting some work in so I can relax a bit this weekend! The weather here is gorgeous so I’m hoping to get outside this weekend too ☀️😊💙 I’m sharing a roundup of my cozy at home essentials on lifewithemilyblog.com today! Linking everything in the @liketoknow.it app here: http://liketk.it/2Mp9u #liketkit #StayHomeWithLTK #LTKunder100 #LTKhome #24weekspregnant #pregnantblogger #loungewear
  • A little mid-week floral happiness for ya! 🌸 hows everyone doing this week? I’m having a pretty good week so far - sharing a few things I’m thankful for this week:
• a loving, supportive husband! I haven’t been out of the house in 2+ weeks & he’s made sure I have everything I need!
• neighborhood walks, they’re good for the soul & a great way to recharge.
• a great support system near & far keeping me encouraged!
• the ability to catch up with friends! 👩🏼‍💻Had a great zoom call with my #bloggersdotravel girls @mystylevita @glitterandgingham @kristinchambless & @poorlittleitgirl today!
• my endless pile of books that I want to read! 📚I’ve enjoyed unplugging and reading every day. #booksconnectus

share what you’re thankful for this week! 💙 http://liketk.it/2Mlh5 #liketkit #LTKhome #floralarrangement
  • 24 weeks with our baby boy🤰🏼💙 it’s crazy to think we get to meet him in just 16 weeks, it feels like this pregnancy has flown by! 👶🏻I feel grateful that I have had a healthy & happy pregnancy but, to be honest, the last few weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions. As a first time mom, I have these feelings of immense sadness as the last half of this pregnancy is going to be nothing like I had envisioned. There have been a lot of tears over the fact that many exciting moments can no longer be shared with those closest to us. I know others have it much, much worse but I’ve learned it’s ok to be sad & to feel these emotions. I’m upset that I am no longer able to have a baby shower to celebrate our first born, I’m sad I don’t get to hug our family and watch their faces as they see my growing bump. I’m upset that these last few months of just the two of us look completely different - more time spent in our house quarantined and less time having date nights at our favorite spots and doing the things we want before baby arrives. I mourn the fact that our families may not get to meet our baby boy in the hospital the way we always talked about. But with any situation, I have cried it out (a lot) and decided to take it one day at a time and to find joy in each day💙 And ya know what? There’s a lot of joy amidst the chaos. It brings me so much joy to feel his daily movement (and my heart nearly burst when Nick felt him kick for the first time).🥰I am overjoyed that we have such a strong support system near and far. I love that we get to spend more time at home spoiling our fur babies. I find solace knowing that there are so many pregnant mamas out there feeling these exact emotions & we share a common experience and bond! I am grateful for those that are on the front lines caring for everyone. I know we have the best doctors carrying us through this uncertain time. We are strong mamas and we will get through this! 💕 so, I challenge you to find the join in each day no matter your situation! #24weekspregnant #24weeks #pregnancy #2ndtrimester #stylethebump #bumpstyle #pregnant #pregnantduringcovid19 #pregnantblogger #thebump #boymom #expecting #expectingmom
  • Thinking back on a time when I got dressed (in something other than leggings) & was able to leave my house 💙🙈🤣 Anyone else going a bit stir crazy?! 🏡 I think I’m going to put on this @sailtosable dress on Friday & have an in-house date night to feel a lil fancy! 😊 shop this look here + linking a few of their dresses that are on sale! http://liketk.it/2M21a @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKspring #sailtosable #sailtosablepartner
  • Anyone else been reading more lately? 📚 Reading is my favorite form of self-care & now more than ever I'm leaning on books during this stressful time we're in. 🤓Reading before bed lets me unwind and relax! I'm teaming up with @penguinrandomhouse to challenge you to read 10-30 minutes before bed as part of their #ReadtoSleep campaign! March is National Sleep Awareness month so put your phone down & pick up a book for the next few weeks and give yourself a much needed break! 💙 [ad]

p.s. they have a great giveaway going on with @parachutehome where you can win 25 books of your choice (OMG!) and a cozy bedding set from Parachute! Find out how to enter on my stories!

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. US Residents, 18+. Enter ‪between 1/15/20 and 3/31/20‬. See Official Rules at ‪bit.ly/2sgzc6U‬