My Monthly Recap – March 2020

It’s time for another monthly recap. Take a peek at previous recaps here

highlights

Just when we thought January was the longest month ever, March showed up and proved us all wrong. March was a really tough month. With the news of COVID-19, I think a lot of us are struggling and having hard days. It’s an uncertain time and brings on a lot of anxiety and stress. With that in mind, March was a slow month. Since I’m pregnant I have taken extra precautions and haven’t spent much time out of the house, other than our neighborhood walks or hanging out in the comfort of my own yard! That has been a bit tough mentally but I’m taking it one day at a time. I’m grateful I’m still able to do my job and work from home!

sail to sable
dress | heels | bag

home

Since we have been stuck at home we have been working to organize, clean out & de-clutter as much as we can! We (and by we, I mean Nick ha!) did some yard work, pulled up some bushes and took down a tree that was dying, which really brightened our back yard! I think our plan is to put in a fire pit where the old tree was – but that will likely be a fall project!

We are starting to work on the nursery soon and I can’t wait for it to all come together. We are working with Clare Paint (the same company we worked with for our dining room)and we just ordered all the paint & supplies for the project yesterday. I really love this paint brand, especially because it’s zero VOC & Greenguard Gold certified, making it safe for me to paint while pregnant because it doesn’t contain any toxic chemicals!

baby Wilkinson

The news of COVID-19 brought about a whirlwind of emotions as it changed the trajectory of the rest of my pregnancy. In mid-March I had a doctor’s appointment to check on baby boy and we learned that I can no longer have anyone accompany me to my appointments. While I understand these measures are for everyone’s safety, it’s a little disheartening because Nick is always such a calming presence at each appointment and it was a nice way for him to feel connected. We also had to postpone our baby shower and are now currently working on having either a virtual shower or a “drop off” shower of sorts.  We haven’t been able to see our families in a few weeks and that in itself is had been very hard.24 weeks pregnant, pregnant bloggerAs a first time mom, I have these feelings of immense sadness as the last half of this pregnancy is going to be nothing like we envisioned it. There have been a lot of tears shed over the fact that many exciting moments can no longer be shared with those closest to us. I have struggled on whether to share these feelings because I know others have it much, much worse, but that doesn’t make my feelings invalid or wrong. In fact, I know there are many other new moms and mom-to-be who are feeling this exact same way. And I have learned that it’s ok to have these mixed emotions during this time. I’m upset that we can no longer have a normal baby shower to celebrate our first child. And sad I don’t get to hug our families and watch their faces as they see my growing bump. I’m upset that these last few months of just the two of us look completely different – more time spent quarantined at home and less time having date nights & going to our favorite places before the baby arrives. I mourn the fact that our families may not get to meet our baby boy in the hospital the way we always talked about.

I know in the big scheme of things this isn’t a big deal, but as a first time mom I feel like I’m missing out on a lot. While Nick and I always have each other, we’re really sad that we don’t get to celebrate this big exciting time with our families like we had hoped. But, we are finding joy amidst the chaos and I know everything will work itself out in due time. We are blessed with a wonderful support system both near and far. The doctor’s are taking every precaution necessary to keep pregnant moms safe & I know they will get us through this!

books I read this month

I read quite a lot this month! Books have really been a great escape during all of this. I have been limiting watching the news and scrolling through social media, so I have had plenty of time to read! It’s been nice to put my phone down even more and get lost in a good book. In March I read a total of. eleven books! I’ll have my book review post up later this week or early next week, but if you’re looking for a good book to start I suggest Darling Rose Gold or The Two Lives of Lydia Bird.

what I purchased

I didn’t purchase much this month – I wasn’t in the mood to shop since we can’t leave our home! I did end up purchasing a few things for the baby’s room!
an easy grey dress | I have worn this around the house & I can’t wait to wear it out in the coming months! It’s SO soft and can easily be dressed up or down!
this mirror for the nursery | I love the whitewashed look and it goes well with the other decor we have purchased so far!
a mini white quilt | we love our Serena & Lily bedding pieces, so I knew I had to get this quilt for our baby boy!

favorite blog posts on Life with Emily

Tips for working from home (+ what not to do!) | many people are working from home now, so be sure to give this a read!
21 books to have on your radar this spring | wanting to get into a good book this month? Plenty of these are available now!
Things I’m doing while social distancing | how are you spending your time while social distancing?!

favorite posts I read this month

5 tips for keeping your blog going during coronavirus | My friend Cathy asked us to share our tips for this & I love how the post turned out!
How to re-style your house without spending a dime | Love all of these tips! I feel like I have been tinkering with spaces in my home non-stop lately!
Mackenzie’s home renovation | I always love seeing people share the process of renovations & this one is no different! I can’t wait to see how it turns out!

current favorites on repeat

• BEAUTY: I have been wearing my It Cosmetics CC cream on repeat! It gives the perfect “no makeup, makeup” coverage.  I have also been loving the Burts Bee’s Mama Bee Belly Butter!
  • CLOTHING: My lululemon align leggings are still getting me through the days! I love that they stretch to fit my growing bump!
  • TV SHOWS: We binge watched Tiger King last weekend and I still can’t believe places like that exist. What a bizarre show that I couldn’t look away from ha! I’m so glad Top Chef is back – I love watching this show. What are y’all watching right now?
  • PODCAST: I just finished Down the Hill and I really liked it. It’s a pretty recent case that is still unsolved.
  • AUDIOBIOOK: I haven’t started another one yet but I listened to Jessica Simpson’s memoir, Open Book, and really enjoyed it. She was really open and honest, which I appreciated!
  • CURRENTLY READING: I’m reading My Dark Vanessa right now & it’s very dark and at times uncomfortable. It deals with a 15 year old having a relationship with her 42 year old teacher. It’s beautifully written but tough to read at times.

1. Jessica wrote:

Oh I’m so glad you read Open Book! It was soooo good! Keep your head up, this HAS TO PASS and then we can all love on baby Wilkinson to make up for it all.

xo Jessica
    My Style Vita

Posted 4.1.20 Reply
  2. Nicci wrote:

My husband and I are both lucky that our jobs allow us to work from home and keep our lives relatively the same, but I completely understand everything you described (I’m 24 weeks pregnant). While I know things could be so much worse, it’s been disappointing that we won’t be able to have a shower, have had to cancel our trip to Rhode Island (we were supposed to go 2 weeks ago), and haven’t been able to go out to eat/see friends and family that we’d planned to do before the baby’s born. Thank for for describing it so well.

Posted 4.1.20 Reply
  3. Laura Leigh wrote:

Aw girl I absolutely hate that you’re having to experience your third trimester in such a way. You’re right, your feelings are completely valid and you’re allowed to share them – shouldn’t feel an ounce of guilt for doing so. I will be thinking of you!

xo Laura Leigh

Posted 4.2.20 Reply
  4. gosh what a month it has been!! i know this is a scary time for all of us and with your babe on the way it can be challenging I am sure. But you are so blessed at the same time 🙂

xx rebecca // http://www.rebeccapiersol.me

Posted 4.2.20 Reply
  5. I’m so glad you are staying healthy! I’m trying to plan a wedding during this and have totally felt the same as special moments can’t happen now. I can’t imagine the moments you’re losing being stuck at home during pregnancy. I’m so sorry! Praying things get better quickly and we can all join together again soon.

Posted 4.2.20 Reply
  6. Rachel wrote:

March was the absolute longest and it’s still so surreal that the entire world is being effected by COVID-19. Can’t wait to see the nursery!

Rachel

Posted 4.2.20 Reply
  7. Carrington wrote:

I’m actually just about to buy the IT CC Cream! I’ve heard so much good stuff about it! Xx.

Posted 4.2.20 Reply
  8. Sounds like you’ve had a productive month! Thinking of you during this crazy time!

Posted 4.2.20 Reply
  9. Kileen wrote:

March did feel like an eternity! I’ll have to check out a few of those blog posts you listed! I’d love to be reading more!!

Kileen
    cute & little

Posted 4.2.20 Reply
  10. Has to be tough experiencing third trimester under current circumstances. Can’r even imagine! Hoping all goes smooth for the rest of the time you have! xoxo, Sarah

Posted 4.3.20 Reply

It breaks my heart to hear about all the pains you’re experiencing in your heart during this time. I’m sure it’s so tough knowing your pregnancy will be different than expected – and I’m sending you so much love. I can only hope that things will get easier soon. I’m glad you’re finding an escape in reading (as I often do). Hopefully April and May bring brighter days.

Posted 4.4.20 Reply
  12. Jaimie wrote:

Enjoyed this post! I love book recommendations, and it must feel good to have your home organized and refreshed, waiting for baby. I remember those nesting days! Stay healthy and safe xo

Posted 4.5.20 Reply
  13. Kristina wrote:

Aww girl, I feel for you! And yes some people have it much worse but these are big life moments that are not going how you expected and I would totally feel the same way! Just keep looking forward to the day you get to meet your sweet boy- hopefully this will all be over soon!

Posted 4.6.20 Reply

• I’ll take all things bright & colorful, please! 💕 daydreaming about the day when I have somewhere to go so I can wear these pieces! 🙌🏻 sharing this roundup of spring finds today on lifewithemilyblog.com OR you can shop it at the link in bio + @liketoknow.it app http://liketk.it/2PCh6 #liketkit #LTKunder100 #LTKunder50 #LTKspring #springfinds #warmweather #springstyles
  • 3️⃣2️⃣ looks good on you, @nick_wilkinson1! 🎉 happy birthday my love! I love you more than you know! I’m so grateful for the life we have built together & I’m thankful to be by your side through it all. I can’t wait to celebrate another year of you & watch you become a dad in a few short months! 👶🏻 cheers to another year of memories together! 💙#happybirthday #32ndbirthday #birthdayboy
  • Another rainy day ☔️ wishing for warmer days + being able to get dressed up to head out! But instead we’re curled up on the couch and are having a crock pot meal tonight... not mad about it! 💙 This maxi dress is so stunning in person & is so comfortable! Can’t wait to wear it out again! Shop everything here (earrings are $8, dress fits oversized I’m in an XS) http://liketk.it/2PgfP @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKbump #LTKspring  #fpxme #freepeople
  • Anyone else been tinkering with spaces around their house during quarantine?! 🙋🏼‍♀️I know I sure have! I have been using a mix of what I already own & what I have picked up from @kirklands (buy online, curbside pick up is a game changer!) to switch up spaces! 🙌🏻Best part is, I was able to refresh this space using only 4 items all for under $100! It's so easy to change out a few pieces to give a totally different look. [ad] shop everything here: http://liketk.it/2OYgA #LTKhome
#refresh4less #kirklandsinsiders #kirklandsfinds #kirklandshappiness
  • What are you looking forward to doing after quarantine?! 💕 A few things I’m looking forward to (full list on lifewithemilyblog.com):
•seeing our friends & family
•date nights & eating at our favorite local spots again 🍽 hoping we can squeeze in a few date nights while it’s just the 2 of us!
•getting my hair cut & my nails done 💇🏼‍♀️💅🏻My hair was in desperate need of a trim before... now it’s just embarrassing 😂

Shop this look here: http://liketk.it/2OOhX @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKbump #LTKunder100 #pinkblushmaternity #pinkblush #pregnant #30weekspregnant #30weeks #pregnancystyle #maternitystyle #bumpstyle #stylethebump
  • 30 week “bumpdate”💙 it’s hard to believe that we will be meeting our little one in 10 weeks or less! 👶🏻I can’t believe just how quickly time has flown by!
•Baby boy is the size of a cantaloupe this week 🍈 + measures roughly 16in & 3lbs
•He is moving around like CRAZY lately! One of our favorite things to do at night is to watch/feel him moving.
• I am in full nesting mode! We are still working on his nursery but it’s quickly becoming my fav room in the house!
• We have been soaking up all of this time just the two of us during quarantine! We’ve been giving 🐶&🐱sooo much attention since we know their life is going to change drastically in July!

#bumpdate #30weeks #30weekspregnant #bumpstyle #stylethebump #maternitystyle #boymom #babyboy #momtobe #mama #pregnantblogger #expecting #bump #thebump #pregnant #pregnancyannouncement #mamatobe