My Monthly Recap – April 2020

It’s time for another monthly recap. Take a peek at previous recaps here

highlights

Similar to March, April seemed to last a million days! I’m at week 9 of quarantine so at this point the days are all blurring together! This month I turned 30 and while it wasn’t the celebration I had envisioned, my friends and family really went out of the way to make sure I felt loved! My family surprised me the morning of my birthday and came over with signs and sang happy birthday! I was not expecting it, so it was a fun surprise to start the day! The remainder of April was a lot of the same.

Mid-month we had a series of bad storms that lead to a lot of windy conditions and a tornado watch. It was a sleepless night but we thought we were in the clear. Well, the next morning our neighbor’s large tree fell into our house leading to a lot of damage! Luckily insurance has been really easy to deal with during this time and we’re in the process of getting our screened in porch rebuilt and some windows replaced that the tree damaged! I’m ready to get back to a sense of normalcy!

books I read this month

I have been reading SO much more since the stay-at-home order came into effect! I try to limit the amount of TV and news I watch, so I have had a lot of time to read! In April I read 10 books, you can see them all in my April Reading List! I have been really gravitating towards thrillers and suspense novels lately, so if you’re on the hunt for one I suggest Little Secrets or The New Husband!

what I purchased

Honestly, I haven’t been focused on doing much shopping since I haven’t been leaving the house and there’s not really an end in sight as of now! I did order a few things that I *hope* I’ll be able to wear before the baby comes!

White Maternity Denim | I live in my white denim in the spring and summer, so I really wanted a pair to wear during these last two months! I ordered my pre-pregnancy size and these fit like a dream!
Denim Shorts | This is another item I have been really missing! I love wearing my favorite denim shorts in the summer but hadn’t found any maternity denim shorts that I loved. I just got these in and really like them. I went one size up per reviews and they fit great!
White Compression Top | I have heard great things about the Blanqi brand, so I ordered this compression top! It will be great for daily walks or to wear under casual layers!

baby Wilkinson

I truly can’t believe that our baby boy will be here in less than 90 days! Time has been flying by recently and there’s still so much to do! A few weekends ago we painted his room & bathroom. You may recall from the nursery inspiration post that we’re doing grey with white bead board. Due to the stay-at-home order my dad hasn’t been able to come up and help us with the bead board, but other than that the room is really coming along! We finally got his glider and storage ottoman delivered, now we just need to get the essentials and do some more nesting! It’s feeling more and more real every single day.

favorite blog posts on Life with Emily

30 Things I Have Learned Over the Years | shared some things I have learned over the years in honor of turning 30!
Must Have Baby Registry Items | partnered with buybuy Baby to share the top baby registry items, thanks to the help of you guys!
Second Trimester Recap + Q&A | shared a recap of my second trimester and answered a lot of questions that you all submitted!

favorite posts I read this month

Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe | sign me up! My sweet tooth has been out of control lately & I want to make these ASAP!
New Beauty Products for Spring | Shelby always has the best makeup and beauty finds! Want to try a few of these soon.
Best Beautycounter Products to Try | I have tried (and loved!) a few Beautycounter products and want to add in more clean items to my routine! This is a great “where to start” post.

current favorites on repeat

• BEAUTY: I have been loving this skin smoothing moisturizer. I have been using it at night and it’s super hydrating.
  • CLOTHING: What are real clothes at this point haha?! On days where I want to feel a little “dressed up” I have thrown on this super comfortable dress!
  • TV SHOWS: We recently finished Little Fires Everywhere and really enjoyed it. I didn’t like the book (I ended up DNF’ing it) but the show was really well done! I think we’re going to start Defending Jacob on Apple TV+ now. If you haven’t already, read the book. I read it a few years ago & it’s so so good!
  • AUDIOBIOOK: I’m currently listening to You Me and Us! The narration is great and so far, I’m liking the story!
  • CURRENTLY READING: I just finished reading Jennifer Weiner’s newest book, Big Summer, that comes out today actually!

1. Your maternity dress is adorable! And I needed a good Audiobook, adding You Me & Us to my list thank you so much 🥰

Posted 5.5.20 Reply
  2. Mollie wrote:

Love your monthly recaps! I need to try that chocolate chip cookie recipe.

xx Mollie

Posted 5.5.20 Reply

Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry to hear about the damage to your house because of that tree. That’s terrible! But I’m glad things are getting sorted out, and things are starting to feel more normal again. I hope you get plenty of time to just rest and relax (and read) without any more catastrophes!

Posted 5.5.20 Reply
  4. Lee wrote:

Im so glad your family made your birthday special despite the distancing! Sounds like you had a lot to love this month!

Posted 5.5.20 Reply
  5. rebecca p wrote:

aw im glad your family still made your birthday special! no doubt it is one you won’t forget!!!!

Posted 5.6.20 Reply
  6. Carrington wrote:

April sounds like a great month! I am saving this book to read hopefully soon! Been looking for a new read. Xx.

Posted 5.7.20 Reply
  7. Laura Leigh wrote:

Thank you so much for including my post gal – I really appreciate it!! I cannot wait to see the finished nursery – sound as though it is coming along well. I know it will be such a sweet space!

xo Laura Leigh

Posted 5.8.20 Reply
  8. Candace Hampton wrote:

Ah, you look stunning in that dress! Quarantine has definitely been a weird time not only because of the pandemic, but the weather has also been crazy! We have had several tornado warnings. But, I will say that this has been a beautiful spring so far!

Posted 5.8.20 Reply
  9. Melissa Vale wrote:

That maternity dress is so so pretty!! And I really want to try to tackle that choc chip cookie recipe!

Posted 5.9.20 Reply
  10. Anna English wrote:

I couldn’t agree more, March and April seemed like the longest months EVER!

Posted 5.10.20 Reply

• I’ll take all things bright & colorful, please! 💕 daydreaming about the day when I have somewhere to go so I can wear these pieces! 🙌🏻 sharing this roundup of spring finds today on lifewithemilyblog.com OR you can shop it at the link in bio + @liketoknow.it app http://liketk.it/2PCh6 #liketkit #LTKunder100 #LTKunder50 #LTKspring #springfinds #warmweather #springstyles
  • 3️⃣2️⃣ looks good on you, @nick_wilkinson1! 🎉 happy birthday my love! I love you more than you know! I’m so grateful for the life we have built together & I’m thankful to be by your side through it all. I can’t wait to celebrate another year of you & watch you become a dad in a few short months! 👶🏻 cheers to another year of memories together! 💙#happybirthday #32ndbirthday #birthdayboy
  • Another rainy day ☔️ wishing for warmer days + being able to get dressed up to head out! But instead we’re curled up on the couch and are having a crock pot meal tonight... not mad about it! 💙 This maxi dress is so stunning in person & is so comfortable! Can’t wait to wear it out again! Shop everything here (earrings are $8, dress fits oversized I’m in an XS) http://liketk.it/2PgfP @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKbump #LTKspring  #fpxme #freepeople
  • Anyone else been tinkering with spaces around their house during quarantine?! 🙋🏼‍♀️I know I sure have! I have been using a mix of what I already own & what I have picked up from @kirklands (buy online, curbside pick up is a game changer!) to switch up spaces! 🙌🏻Best part is, I was able to refresh this space using only 4 items all for under $100! It's so easy to change out a few pieces to give a totally different look. [ad] shop everything here: http://liketk.it/2OYgA #LTKhome
#refresh4less #kirklandsinsiders #kirklandsfinds #kirklandshappiness
  • What are you looking forward to doing after quarantine?! 💕 A few things I’m looking forward to (full list on lifewithemilyblog.com):
•seeing our friends & family
•date nights & eating at our favorite local spots again 🍽 hoping we can squeeze in a few date nights while it’s just the 2 of us!
•getting my hair cut & my nails done 💇🏼‍♀️💅🏻My hair was in desperate need of a trim before... now it’s just embarrassing 😂

Shop this look here: http://liketk.it/2OOhX @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKbump #LTKunder100 #pinkblushmaternity #pinkblush #pregnant #30weekspregnant #30weeks #pregnancystyle #maternitystyle #bumpstyle #stylethebump
  • 30 week “bumpdate”💙 it’s hard to believe that we will be meeting our little one in 10 weeks or less! 👶🏻I can’t believe just how quickly time has flown by!
•Baby boy is the size of a cantaloupe this week 🍈 + measures roughly 16in & 3lbs
•He is moving around like CRAZY lately! One of our favorite things to do at night is to watch/feel him moving.
• I am in full nesting mode! We are still working on his nursery but it’s quickly becoming my fav room in the house!
• We have been soaking up all of this time just the two of us during quarantine! We’ve been giving 🐶&🐱sooo much attention since we know their life is going to change drastically in July!

#bumpdate #30weeks #30weekspregnant #bumpstyle #stylethebump #maternitystyle #boymom #babyboy #momtobe #mama #pregnantblogger #expecting #bump #thebump #pregnant #pregnancyannouncement #mamatobe